1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hcsb

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Robert Snow, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Rippon, if it makes you feel better, I would rather preach from the NIV 2011 than the KJV. It is a better translation and more applicable to modern people.

But I still do not take back my critique of the version.

2. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow! A lot of harsh words flying around this thread. Somebody must have criticized the NIV. :tongue3:

3. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

Actually, this is about the HCSB. There has been a lot of talk about the NIV though, bibles that are actually relevant get talked about while others sometimes don't. :tongue3:

4. Baptist4life

Baptist4life Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Man, if that's the case, the KJV must be the most relevant Bible ever! :tongue3:

5. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

It will do in a crunch.

Of course the NIV is much more useful for today's Christian. I much prefer the NKJV, but the more I read the NLT, the more I like it. The NIV or other modern version is much better for younger adults. They don't have to spend half their time looking in a dictionary.

BTW, I think that the 2011 NIV is better than the 1984 NIV.

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You have said that before. It still does not mitigate your slanderous remarks.

You have not even acknowledged factual errors you have made.

You are stubborn in the extreme.

You have to stop the falsehoods.

And you are still in denial of your sinful conduct.

Please review my posts : 23,26,29,31,33 and 39 for your clarification.

7. Robert Snow

Robert Snow New Member

I like both the ESV and the 2011 NIV, but if I had could only use one and had to choose, I would choose the 2011 NIV.

I will say that this is always subject to change as I read more of each version.

8. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Just keep digging... Perhaps I am also the anti-Christ while you're at it. :thumbs:

9. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

Well, at least you were not said to be "anti KJV" by those holding to KJVO!

10. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I'm not "anti" any Bible (well, let's set the cultish bibles in anther category) that a man or woman uses. I rather dislike some of the versions simply because they introduce complications and I retain the right to be critical of some aspects of translation in any or all of the versions by right of my education, which has equipped me in the original languages and documentary criticism, but that does not make any particular translation "bad" or "unworthy." Just subject to criticism.

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Irrelevancies.

I'll quote two posters who,though not focusing on you,I think applies to you.

"The attacks [on this translation are]baseless,arrogant and foolish." (jaigner)

"Just making these kind of claims is pretty ridiculous. We need evidence,not accusation." (preachinjesus)

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are one stubborn fella glf. You have not demonstrated any facts to back up your reckless assertions.

This was released by CBT July 9,2011:
    "We object very strongly to the accusation that our gender translational decisions were motivated were motivated by a desire to avoid causing offense. Our concern is always, in every decision we make to represent God's Word accurately and naturally in modern English --we have no ther agenda."

I would like you to document any place within the 2011 NIV where "critical gender decisions" were done away with.

And you have conveniently ignored my quote of Galatians 4:6 in the 2011 NIV.

Your assertion is completely invalid. Completely based on dynamic equivalence--that's nonsense. You'll not find that in any literature of the NIV family nor of the NET Bible. Stop making things up.

And your chart was error-filled.

13. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    In 2005 David Bell did a dissertation called :A Comparative Analysis Of Formal Shifts In English Bible Translations With A View Towards Defining And Describing Paradigms.

He gave numerical values of some noted translations. These are just some of his conclusions.

NASB :55
    HCSB :70
    NIV :73
    NJB :88

The HCSB and the NIV (of any stripe except the NIrV) share a close kinship. The two do not show much disparity.

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    From the ESV Preface:
    "A recurring note is included to indicate that the term 'brothers (translating the Greek word adelphoi) was often used in Greek to refer to both men and women..."

I am glad that the ESV included these notes 151 times,by my count. However,the substance of the footnote (should have been put in the text itself i.e. brothers and sisters. Even Grudem indicated he was outvoted by the translation team because he wanted the term brothers and sisters in the text.

15. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

And, your presumption is that I agree with those issues... You are wrong.

I want the Word to be the Word as God caused it to be written.

If (IF) I could find a perfect translation, I would use that, but since there are none, I use what works best, and for me that is not an NIV 2011.

Here are a few quotes. See if you can guess their authorship:

16. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How Much of the Job Does Your Translation Do?

Posted on December 11, 2011 by Rod Decker
    To return to my analogy, those translations which I think come the closest to my ideal (and I realize that is a subjective judgment; you may not agree!) are those which attempt a mediating position between the two groups I’ve described above. Of these, NIV is the best known. The “feel” of the NET text is quite similar (though with “NASB-sounding” marginal readings, a fairly successful attempt to incorporate the strengths of both models). The newer HCSB falls into this group as well, though perhaps just a tad more formal than NIV (see below on HCSB). As for their calling their translation philosophy “optimal equivalence,” that’s just a marketing slogan. (If I remember correctly, NKJV did something similar; I think they used “complete equivalence”—in my opinion an even worse choice of terms.) It does not present a new way, a third “pole” on the translation spectrum. It is simply their attempt to balance formal and functional—which is fine, that’s what NET and NIV do also. But uninformed readers will think it’s something new.

17. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Rippon, I see that you did not take me up on the question as to who penned the quotes in my thread above...

18. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And I have noted that you have not retracted your slander.

19. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    This is misleading, and only the preliminary figures of Bell. You did not give Bell's final figures, which are on p. 175, where he writes, "The final results for the translations are as follows: ASV(56) RSV(56) NASB(58) KJV(59) HCSB(66) NIV(77) NEB(83) TEV(93) NJB(109) MSG(110)." So Bell's final results, shown in the chart on that page, make the HCSB classed with the ASV, RSV, NASB and KJV as a traditional translation, not a modern one with the NIV, NEB and the others. By the term modern, he means he classifies the NIV, NEB and the others as dynamic/functional (see p. 351-358).

20. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are mistaken. Bell gives his final overall Numerical Summary on page 314. Among the figures:ASV(51),NASB(55),HCSB(70),NIV(73). Those are his final results. The NIV and HCSB are neckn'neck.

For Revelation 9 on page 179:ASV(50),NASB(71),HCSB(75),NIV(88)

For Hosea 2:1-5 on page 199: ASV(59),NASB(67),NIV(84),HCSB(88)

For Romans 5:1-8 on page 220: ASV(44),NASB(49),HCSB(62),NIV(67)

For Ruth 3:13-18 on page 241 :ASV(59),NASB(59),NIV(89)HCSB(62),NIV(67)

For Matt.16:13-19 on page 265: NASB(49),ASV(50),HCSB(59),NIV(66)

For Psalm 8 on page 282: NASB(50),ASV(52),NIV(63),HCSB(64)

For Job 28:20-28 on page 301:NASB(48),ASV(50),HCSB(76),NIV(80)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.