1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hcsb

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Robert Snow, Nov 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You are pitiful. I welcome criticism of individual texts from the 2011 NIV. What I detest are hit-n-runs --which you engage in. You do not substantiate your wild claims. You just throw a grenade and then run away.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Very.

To keep up your mantra despite the overwhelming number of scholars who insist that the NIV is not DE. Such as:

Rod Decker
    Donald Burdick
    Sake Kubu and Walter Specht
    J.William Johnson
    Philip W.Comfort
    Kenneth L.Barker
    Marten Woudstra
    Ron Rhoades
    Darrell L. Bock
    Gordon Fee
    Mark Strauss
    Rick Mansfield
    Daniel Wallace
    Allan Chapple
    D.A Carson
    John R. Kohlenberger
    Jack Lewis

And.... the very man who invented the term --Eugene Nida --never called the NIV a dynamic-equivalent translation.

Howda' like dem apples?

#82 Rippon, Dec 13, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2011
  3. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Funny, I'm still here... I've substantiated my claims with outside references and could fill this thread with more.

Again, I am not against the NIV 2011 per se, but I am against a few of the ways that they translated or otherwise took liberties with the original text.

4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    None of this means much in our current dialogue. All I ask for is the right to agree with some scholars without your insults. "Immature"? Please! :rolleyes:

5. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course you are still here. That is not exactly a defense.

You have not backed-up any of your claims. And I am especially interested with your reckless charges that the translators have fiddled with gender distinctions. I have been waiting for a long time for you to document your empty assertions --but you are rather timid to do so.

Again, I am not against the NIV 2011 per se, but I am against a few of the ways that they translated or otherwise took liberties with the original text.[/QUOTE]

6. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Of course it is relevant. You claim that most New Testament scholars identify the NIV as being dynamic equivalent. I produce a list of those who insist it is not.

Give me some names of those who know what they are talking about. Ron Rhoades from my list is the only one who is not a scholar as such --the rest are.

7. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

I was wondering if anyone wanted to actually address the OP? :cool:

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    To answer Amy's question. The above was post #2.

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr.Bell's figures are just a tad off. The difference between the HCSB and the NIV per the passages that he itemized is 2.5%. They are very similar in other words. So this business of the NIV being so dynamic is nonsense. If they want to make that claim then to be consistent the HCSB has to join its ranks as dynamic equivalent as well.

10. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    I like and use the Holman. I prefer it to the NIV for general reading, although it does have some idiosyncrasies.

11. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Aha. So now you believe that the majority is correct, righr? So now you are a majority text advocate, right?

I'm not going to play your game here. Having a majority of scholars on your side proves absolutely nothing. If it did than I could prove Calvinism to be wrong in that way.

Oh, and stop putting words into my mouth. I never said that the majority of scholars believe the NIV to be DE.

12. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You didn't include a smiley face. You are conflating two entirely different issues. By the way,please correct me if I am wrong,but Maurice doesn't use the numbers game to convince folks to come over his side,does he?

On 2/8/09 you said:"Ever since the NIV first came out it has been hailed as a DE translation."

On 2/9/09 you said "quite a few scholars classify T/NIV as DE."

13. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mea Culpa. :smilewinkgrin::tongue3::1_grouphug:

But you are correct. Byzantine priority concentrates on transcriptional probability. A history of the text is essential for correct textual criticism.
    Wow, I'm flattered that you pay such attention to what I have said, even years ago. But you know English, right? Being in China hasn't made you forget your English. So you should realize that neither of these statements have the meaning of "the majority of scholars."

14. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    According to Longman Advanced Learner's Dictionary -- quite a few means a fairly large number.

In other words -- Quite a lot = Quite a few.

15. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have a JoJ file of sorts. But I normally just use the search function.

16. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And neither phrase means "majority." Words are important. Words mean things. So once again, please don't put words in my mouth, as much as you might wish I had said a certain thing.

And by the way, your inability to make these simple distinctions in meaning make your statements on translation suspect.

17. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Alright then, we are agreed. Only a minority of scholars have called the NIV DE.

18. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you really so poor at English comprehension? I did not say this either. And frankly, without a poll of scholars (something beyond the scope of the BB), this is impossible to determine.

19. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is is either one or the other. Either the majority of New Testament scholars believe the NIV is not DE,or a minority of N.T. scholars believe it is. Simple.

I have provided names of a number who believe it is not DE. I can provide more. How is it "impossible to determine"? We're not speaking of something that can't be quantified.

#99 Rippon, Dec 17, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2011
  20. John of Japan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But you see, it doesn't even matter who can line up the most scholars. Truth is not determined by the majority. "I have more scholars than you" is simply irrelevant.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.