1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

He Will Guide You Into All Truth

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by OldRegular, Jun 23, 2005.

1. OldRegular

OldRegular Well-Known Member

In the topic on this forum, The New Testament and Genesis 1-11, I quoted a number of Scripture by New Testament writers which confirm they understood that Genesis 1-11 presented a historical account of Divine Creation and the Flood. To date no evolutionist has responded to the implications of these Scripture.

In John 16:13 Jesus Christ speaking to His Apostles and to all true believers tells us: Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.

Now I would not be so foolish as to state that all Christians interpret Scripture the same, even among Baptists. So obviously there is much error in the Christian community.

However, Scripture also tells us in 1 Corinthians 14:33: For God is not the author of confusion, but of peace, as in all churches of the saints.

These two statements from Scripture being true how can some Christians believe in evolution while others believe the Biblical record of Divine Creation?

Since God the Holy Spirit is not the author of this confusion, I believe that some Christians are simply susceptable to the atheistic philosophy of evolution, a Satanic attack on the Church of Jesus Christ for which He died [Acts 20:28]. They choose to accept the words of atheistic scientists? rather than the Word of God and the word of those Christian scientists who labor to show that science is consistent, indeed supports, Divine Creation.

2. Paul of Eugene

Paul of Eugene New Member

Since God the Holy Spirit is not the author of this confusion, I believe that some Christians are simply susceptible to the literalistic creationist philosophy of denial of most of God's truth, as revealed in His universe; a Satanic attack on the Church of Jesus Christ for which He died. They choose to deny that God speaks from the heavens above and the earth below as well as from the Bible; and thereby refrain from following the affirmation of Jesus, who told Satan that we shall live by EVERY word of God.

There. Wanna try now for the "God Told Me" ploy?

We see disgreements about whether or not men have free will. We see disagreements about whether or not the KJV is the only good english translation. We see disagreements about whether or not a past divorce disqualifies a man for being a preacher or a deacon. We see disagreements about how to describe Jesus' place in the Trinity. We see disagreements about how to interpret the end times. We see disgreements about . . . .

And you know, there's a funny thing - nobody is able to cite evidence, they all have to cite their own interpretations of the Bible, that's all they've got.

But science has discovered that it is possible to use evidence to build up a body of knowledge.

This body of knowledge, solidly grounded in evidence, shows how some of our interpretations were built on houses of sand. It should also serve to humble us, and help us to realize that mere verbal proficiency is never adequate to achieve growth in understanding truth, compared to evidence.

People talk about subtle nuances of phrasing about the Trinity as if they really could know what they were talking about! A little history of how science shows us replacing fallacy after fallacy with hard won greater understanding SHOULD function to make us a little less certain and a little more humble in the face of the mysteries of existance.

Denying those hard won truths is not an auspicious beginning along that path.

PS Was Einstein one of the atheists? If he was, is that grounds for denying relativity?

3. Bob Krajcik

Bob Krajcik New Member

There are among Christian people, many and varied stages of maturity and understanding. One thing that I think needs to be considered, that when we see error, we do not accommodate it at the expense of our own relation with the Lord. When loved ones, and dear friends are caught in error, it is a time when it is easy, I think, to agree with them and go along with them, rather than standing with the Lord and continuing to walk according the light we have been granted. Our path should be an upward journey, and with that things of the world are left behind. There are those things in all our lives, that fall short. When we act on the light given, our steps lead us closer, but when we fall back or stop, it is the world that encroaches on us. For our growth in the things of God, it is a little here, and there a little. The meat is not higher learning, IMO, but is instead the doing of the word. Isa 28:9-10 We never walk alone when we walk with the Lord. Rom 8:9-10, 14; John 16:13; 14:26; 2Tim 2:19; 1Cor 2:10-13 cf John 6:63; Eph 4:7-15 The answer is yes, the Holy Spirit does cause the true children of God to question false teaching, all in God's time. He makes no mistake, and does all things well.

By grace,
    Bob Krajcik
    Mansfield, Ohio
    [​IMG]

4. shannonL

shannonL New Member

There is one key ingredient you leave out in your above post Paul and that is faith.

Hebrews 11:1,3- Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Through faith we UNDERSTAND that the worlds were framed by the WORD OF GOD, so that the things which are seen were NOT MADE OF THINGS WHICH DO APPEAR.

You can sight all the evidence you want by what YOU DO SEE through research etc... Yet the Bible plainly says the universe was formed by The Word of God. How can you determine how the world was formed by testing things you can see if God says it was formed by things which do not appear?

5. OldRegular

The direct Revelation of God, the Word of God, will always trump the Revelation of God in His Creation.

The Apostle Paul tells us in Romans 1:19-25 how the Revelation of God in nature is corrupted by man.

19. Because that which may be known of God is manifest in them; for God hath shewed it unto them.
    20. For the invisible things of him from the creation of the world are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, even his eternal power and Godhead; so that they are without excuse:
    21. Because that, when they knew God, they glorified him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.
    22. Professing themselves to be wise, they became fools,
    23. And changed the glory of the uncorruptible God into an image made like to corruptible man, and to birds, and fourfooted beasts, and creeping things.
    24. Wherefore God also gave them up to uncleanness through the lusts of their own hearts, to dishonour their own bodies between themselves:
    25. Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator, who is blessed for ever. Amen.

And, as we see on this Forum, even His Direct Revelation, the Bible, is corrupted by man!

6. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OldReg, you write:
    There are, of course, many divisive issues in Christendom. It is comforting to know that we can come to you for a definitive answer to all our confounding questions. [/sarcasm]

Again you seem to be twisting the Holy Scriptures to interpret things as you wish they were.
    Examine the passage in context.
    First objection: Who is Jesus speaking to? Is it “all true believers” as you suggest or the apostles? There is some question about this.

Second objection: It's obvious that there are many divisions among the faithful; so the real question about this verse is, "How does the Holy Spirit guide us?"
    Classically many would say, "by an inner impression, by a 'small still voice', by a guiding impulse".

Still, it seems that this "inner voice" is not being heard! Division is still runs rampant.
    Is the Holy Spirit not strong enough to make Himself heard???

The “inner voice” can’t be answer.
    Many of us consider the period of biblical revelation to have ended.
    Wouldn't revelation from the Spirit fit into this same category?
    Impressions are not a form of revelation; they are not authoritative.

So what does the passage mean? What “TRUTH” does the Spirit lead us into?
    LOOK at the text! ‘concerning sin, concerning righteousness, concerning judgment”,
    NOTHING about creation, (or Calvinism or any other the divisive issues).

How has the Spirit guided us, He gave the apostles the Word of God. That Word guides us.
    Let me further add that this recent outburst of inflamitory posts by YEC's is alarmingly provocative. Are you promoting disunity?

Would you guess that 100% of the creation related posts in this forum during the past 3 months were by militant young-earth creationists?
    None were started by old-earth'ers.

And have you read a word that was posted?
    There have been some classic responses, real keepers.
    OldRegular, you really are not helping you cause.

Sadly on one point I agree with you..."And, as we see on this Forum, even His Direct Revelation, the Bible, is corrupted by man!"

Rob

7. OldRegular

Deacon

You will notice that in my OP I stated: "Now I would not be so foolish as to state that all Christians interpret Scripture the same, even among Baptists. So obviously there is much error in the Christian community."

When Jesus Christ said that the Holy Spirit will guide you into all truth I believe that He was speaking of all true believers. That guidance does not include any new revelation but sinply an understanding of Scripture as we study. I do not believe that the Holy Spirit ever lead anyone to believe in evolution which directly contradicts the Word of God.

I think evolutionists would do well to read the words of the Apostle Paul: For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. [Romans 15:4]