1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Health Benefits of Tongues

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by plain_n_simple, Jan 3, 2015.

1. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

Dr. Carl Peterson made a study, but he is tainted with scandal and came from ORU, so I gave a bad example for most here, though the study has been duplicated with the same results. In essence, the part of the brain that controls speech is almost shut down, and another part is highly active only while praying tongues. It also releases two chemicals that greatly enhance the immune system. Google it and choose your author. All I can really say is that it works in my walk.

2. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :laugh::rolleyes::confused:;)

not all are Spirit baptized....

so.....random odd groaning noises=spirit filled........interesting.........

#22 Iconoclast, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can groan without the HG and often do. Not sure I am seeing any health benefits from it though. My grandfather used to tell me the more you groan the older you get. (Yes I did put that in the right order)

4. Yeshua1

Yeshua1 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

5. plain_n_simple

lol, thanx rev

6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Paul claims that the gift is to be used in service to other and that the gift of tongues is "for a sign to unbelievers" while the gift of prophecy is a sign to "believers".

So how then is praying in your closet a "sign to unbelievers"??

In 1Cor 14 (quoted above) Paul is arguing for ways to avoid the abuse of the gift that is intended to serve the church primarily as a "sign to unbelievers".

Only the Act 2 version where "we hear them speak in our own native tongue" fulfills that specification.

Thus in 1Cor 14 Paul is dealing with the form of tongues seen in Acts 2.

Another indicator is that in 1Cor 14 Paul speaks in tongues more than the entire church put together - that cannot be a reference to the sort of tongues that is promoted in modern times because there is no way for 1 person to out talk an entire congregation -- without violating almost every command in scripture on the subject of letting your words be few.

So it has to be "languages" and Paul is claiming to speak a wider variety of actual languages via the supernatural gift of tongues - than the entire church has gifted to them.

in Christ,

Bob

#26 BobRyan, Jan 6, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2015
  7. plain_n_simple

It's not for you.

8. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The Bible is for me - and it exposes the flaws in the modern day claims for tongues that are refuted by the Bible.

Since my doctrines are all subject to sola scriptura testing - then the false tongues of today - are not for me.

in Christ,

Bob

9. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    When you pray in tongues, is it something that you set out to do (e.g., set aside time for the purpose of "praying in tongues") or is it something that occurs as you are in prayer? Also, is there a difference between praying and speaking in tongues?

(And I apologize if my question appears ignorant...but it is out of ignorance that I ask).

10. plain_n_simple

Yes, it is something I do on purpose, with the Spirit giving utterance.

There is a difference between praying and speaking.

11. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist

I can understand the difference (both in principle and in practice). Speaking in tongues was a sign to the unbeliever while praying is for the benefit of the individual.

Do you "speak in tongues" as well?

#31 JonC, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 8, 2015
  12. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

Yes, it's the part that identifies people as wackos.

13. plain_n_simple

No. I have seen it a few times but in one church, the same two people did it 5 Sundays in a row, nothing edifying so I felt it false. Or rather I wasn't convinced that The Spirit spoke.

14. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Although I have been baptized in the Spirit, I have never spoken in tongues. I am not opposed to the practice if conducted biblically (which is the rub, I've never heard of it practiced biblically ... that is as a sign to the unbeliever). So I am skeptical but not so against the practice that I really care to stand against what is for me a hypothetical issue (the biblical exercise of tongues). I find it interesting (both legitimate claims and obvious fraudulent abuses). So I am not saying that I disagree with you...only that I do not agree.

Anyway, thank you for answering my questions. And I have another...when you say you pray in tongues, is this something that you do in private or is this something done within a congregation?

BTW, this is probably more along the lines of what you were looking for....I think..:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZbQBajYnEc

15. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Not in the actual Bible when it comes to tongues - it is the same gift in both and 1Cor 14 does not say that they pray in a different tongue than they speak - in fact if the Holy Spirit is "in charge" it is pretty hard to tell Him which language to use.

What is mare 1Cor 14 says that prophecy is under direct control of the Holy Spirit -and that tongues is not.

But I say this because the Word of God - the Bible -- is for me.

in Christ,

Bob

16. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The biblical truth is that there are NO scriptues to support it as being a "private tongue to God", and that the purpose of tongues were to confirm to the earliest church that non jews were also saved by Jesus, and that God used the Spirit to confirm by word his will and the teachings of the Apostles, but that all ceased with Apostle John, as NO modern prophets/Apostles since that time!

17. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I agree. However there is just as much "biblical support" for our position as there is for the opposing view. That is what you need to understand. Nowhere in Scripture does it say "with the completion of the canon" or "with the death of the apostles" sign gifts will cease. We infer this in and through Scripture, but you cannot justify your view based solely on Scripture. We reason out why these gifts don't exist based on their purpose in the New Testament and our perception that they can no longer function with that specific purpose.

18. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Except that the expressed and given purpose for tongues ceased to exist though, as we have no need to validate the Apostolic teachings concerning jesus any more, nor need any additional revelations from God concerning faith and teachings, which those holding to modern day Apostles/prophets say is true!

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    irrefutably correct. No text says "these are SIGN gifts and they will cease in about 50 years or whenever John dies"

In fact in my opposition to the modern day false manifestations - I never argue it based on the speculation that God has put a stop to spiritual gifts.

Such a position would "also" be wrong - so can't go there.

in Christ,

Bob

20. Yeshua1

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    We DO know that the scriptures clearly tell us that God ceased giving ANY additional revelations since Apostle John died, so that includes your so called prophetess!