1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Health Care Mandate Applies to All -- Except the Amish

Discussion in 'Political Debate & Discussion' started by Dragoon68, Jan 16, 2010.

1. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

I rarely get called "inconsistent" but, hey, if you don't understand I can see how you might reach such a conclusion.

The law can not "respect" a particular religious sect because that's not Constitutional. You know that! This exception does just that because it singles out a religious sect - excludes them from paying taxes - and yet requires everyone else to do so regardless of their particular religious beliefs. It's wrong in principle and in fact. Either everyone has to pay or everyone should have the option not to pay.

2. targus

targus New Member

Obama and the dems are overlooking the simple solution that they wish to employ where it comes to Federal funding of abortion.

Just have the Amish pay a "fee" for exempting themselves from the healthscare scam.

The "fee" could co-incidentally be exactly the same amount as the fines that they are exempted from. :tonofbricks:

3. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Although drifting away from the original topic I will answer you question: What would the Supreme Court say about laws that prohibits a Mormon man from having multiple wives, or to a Christian Scientist parent that withholds medical care thier child, or that require a Muslim woman who refuses to remove her head covering for a driver license photo, or to a Muslim man who believes he has a god given right to kill his wife or child for certain offenses, or to a Christian who refuses to teach his child the theory of evolution, or to a Christian who refuses to fund abortions because it is murder, or perhaps to some African tribal member who believes cannibalism is okay, and so forth? Yes, the law does infringe on "religious" beliefs and, yes, it was modeled around a minimal set of Christian beliefs without preference to a particular sect of Christianity.

4. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Mormons are not required by their religion to practice polygamy.

In each case, the court has ruled that your right to express your religious beliefs do not include the right to harm another person.

5. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually, I know that it says that "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof", not "Congress shall not recognize a religious group's 1st Amendment right to practice their religion".

I don't know where you got thie idea, but the Amish do pay taxes. If you don't know that, then you probably shouldn't be commenting.

6. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

You're extrapolating for pending taxes for the new medical health care program to taxes in general. The issue is the exemption for the new taxes which, again, is a preference given to the Amish - and other selected groups - based on they being members of that group. It is wrong!

7. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Mormons were permitted and encourage to have multiple wives by their religion. That was one of several examples where religious beliefs conflicted with the law of the land and the law won. It's valid as were all the others I mentioned.

This example was given to rebuke the theory that the Amish has a untouchable right to be exempt from the pending health care taxes just because their religious preference is to take care of their own.

It would be slightly more palatable if the law were to allow any religious group to form their own cooperative health care system and opt out of the government's taxes. Some, other than the Amiish, might want to do that.

But, of course, the best thing would be for the government to stay out of the health care business altogether. They have failed at every other social program they've ever tried. Such history should foretell what we can except from the pending bureaucratic dream.

8. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

This, then, is a Constitutional basis for the government not showing special favor to the Amish sect by excluding them for the obligation to pay taxes for the new health care programs that other citizens would be required to pay.

Maybe the "smart" layers will be wise enough to understand that. If not they will be generating a large window of opportunity for endless exceptions to our laws that will be used to impose ways upon us which we will deeply regret.

9. targus

targus New Member

And the Amish are not required to pay for medical services by cash.

That is just how they happen to prefer to do it.

10. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

The Amish should be exempt. Their case is different than someone being opposed to the bill, they don't believe in insurance. They currently don't have it but instead rely on only themselves to pay the bills. Their beliefs is to be truly separate and they live their lives accordingly. Making them get insurance by law would be a clear violation to their religious beliefs and I think it wise all Christian support them in this case. If we so quickly dismiss their religious freedoms we just might wake up and it will be ours taken from us next.

11. billwald

billwald New Member

How would the rest of us be harmed if the Mormons had been permitted to become a state under the Articles of Confederation and governed by the LDS?

12. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Many people don't "believe" in having insurance based on how they understand the Bible but they are not Amish. With this exemption, by a specific class, all except the Amish would be prohibited for exercising their belief and forced to participate. That's a violation of the principles of our Constitution.

What we should be concerned about is the freedom of all Americans to chose their medical providers, procedures, and insurance coverage.

What we should not want is more special classes of exceptions that opens the doors to even more in the future. We need to look way beyond this issue to what else will be on the table around the corner.

I don't care what the Amish do - insurance or not - and I respect their independent thinking. However, I don't think one should have to Amish to attain the same benefit. Such a quality was once considered to be an American virtue. This pending law will strip that from most Americans and generate yet another "special" group to be treated differently under the law.

#32 Dragoon68, Jan 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2010
  13. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

If the Amish don't take anything from the government regarding their own health care, should they be expected to conform to the governments rules on insurance or penalty?

We could succeed if we could organize and as a large group of people..... dump our dependance on health insurance and government committments and employer provided plans and insist on being self insured......... and commit ourselves to special charitable funding to go specifically to those in our midst with dire and catastrophic need......... not the kind of expensive but chronic need which many find themselves in.

I heard an informative program Monday and may report it in a new thread if I can get my brownserto stop stalling during my attmept to post.

14. targus

targus New Member

Can you point to evidence that buying insurance is against their religious beliefs - other than a preference to pay in cash?

15. JohnDeereFan

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    After listening to Jack Spirko talk about it, I've come to agree with his idea that there should only be catastrophic health insurance and all other medical procedures paid by cash

16. windcatcher

windcatcher New Member

I wondered at the same thing. I did find this:
    HERE

17. targus

targus New Member

Ok - but is required by their beliefs - or simply a preference?

They don't drive cars - but will ride in them...

Tractors are not allowed - except they will use them at the barn...

I don't think that there is any religious prohibition against insurance in the Amish belief system. Merely a choice to pay for medical services by cash.

I don't think that the exception for the Amish is justified...

Unless the rest of us can also be exempted from the healthscare scam as a matter of personal choice also.

Which would be my choice.

18. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If this monstrosity that we call "government" stayed within it's purview of constitutionally mandated powers, this whole conversation would be non-existent.

But then just look at the myriad problems caused by this same "government" in many other areas of society because of this same reluctance to abide by the constitution - starting with ole Abe - or earlier!!:mad::BangHead:

19. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Unfortunately I can't link to Amish.com :laugh: But seriously if you don't think it is part of their beliefs you need to educate yourself a little about the issue before forming such strong opinions about it. To be honest, I thought it was common knowledge that they didn't believe in insurance, I guess I was wrong.

20. Dragoon68

Dragoon68 Active Member

Many people - not just Amish - don't believe in insurance and a whole lot more don't believe in the government taking over medical care and insurance.

The original point of this thread - as I intended it - was suppose to be that the government has selected certain groups - namely union workers, government workers, and the Amish and maybe others we haven't learned about yet from the secret work they're doing - to be excluded or deferred from paying the taxes that will be imposed on the rest of us.

These categories have nothing to do with the "goodness" of the bureaucrats that are writing these laws. They are simply political moves to avoid certain problem areas, to appease certain vocal groups, and to maintain voter support. The rest of us will pay that much more for their programs.

The Amish are just be played for the political gain - avoidance of conflict - so the plan can be forced upon the rest who might not have the unified support of a particular religious sect but believe just as strongly. That's wrong and it's a misuse of power by the government that's forbidden by our Constitution.

The unions have bought the government and robbed the non-union workers of their hard-earned wages and salaries with their typical strong-armed back room politics. You didn't see it on C-SPAN like the chief thief had promised us all albeit some of us never believed his empty promise.

What's happening now is that many people can not see that they are trading their liberty for the "security" of the state. Some I suppose like that and actually believe it will be better even though history has taught us many times other that it is not.

Remember Bismark did this in Germany over one hundred years ago with a wide area of previously unheard of social programs. The people bought it and gave up their liberty in the process. It's happened more than once and now, in my beloved homeland, we have lost our way and are falling for it heads over heals.