1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Health Insurance Marketplace

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Gina B, Sep 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Well that stinks, especially considering that the fine is supposed to be equal to the cost of the lowest health plan.
    I imagine that your situation is common. We're being pushed to the bring because of the effects of this, and we're a family that is allegedly "unaffected."
    I'm worried about this country rioting.

2. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    My fine is only 95 dollars

3. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Really? That was definitely misinformation in what they put out!

I did read that they don't know how they're going to collect the fines yet. They did mention the possibility of taking it out of tax returns, but didn't say what happens if the person isn't getting a tax return.

They really shouldn't be putting this into action if they don't know what they're doing.

Then again, if everyone stopped doing everything because they didn't know what they were doing, not much would be getting done.

Which might not be so bad after all. :laugh:

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is how I understand it.

You will just owe instead of get a return.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

They need an estimated 92% participation to pay for it. That's out of all Americans, not just the uninsured. They have to put private insurers out of business to do that. Seventy-five percent won't pay for the program and it will become a black-hole drain on the budget. That's why they've designed the program to force private insurers to increase rates by no less than 55% -- and in some cases, trebled or quadrupled -- across the board. This is quite simply a government program solely designed for the purpose of destroying the free-enterprise system in health insurance. Because it is taxpayer supported far beyond the premiums charged, the private companies cannot compete, and HHS and the IRS knew this from the start.

Once that information becomes common knowledge, people are going to rise up and demand the ACA be repealed. Particularly when the premiums will have to increase because participation will never, not in a million years, reach 92% even if all the private insurers close their doors -- which also won't happen, because some of the are too stubborn to let the government force them out. Live with it. It's going to fail, no matter how many pretty numbers you try to attach to it.

Next year it will be, as the 2014 penalty is prescribed at $95 or 1% of household income, whichever is greater. By 2017, it will be $695 plus a cost of living adjustment, or 2.5% of household income, whichever is greater.

#25 thisnumbersdisconnected, Sep 30, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2013
  6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was just reading if you dont qualify financially to file taxes the penalty is waived

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Medishare and Christian Healthcare Ministries are a lot less than that and exempt from ACA

8. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

If that's the case, then wouldn't that person be covered under ObamaCare anyhow, either under the expanded Medicaid or if a state has opted out, qualify to have insurance paid by a federal subsidy? I know the one poster on here didn't qualify for a subsidy, but you'd think someone whose income was so low that they don't file taxes (which you have to file with pretty much ANY income) would be among the first covered!

After all, that was the point of this plan - to provide health care coverage for poor people. They're not going to take advantage of it? This plan is going to destroy the nation and they're not going to penalize poor people for not taking it? I say hold them down and shove that insurance card in their pocket, smack the ground three times and yell COVERED!

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

My state hasn't expanded Medicaid, so they would not be 'fined'. The whole bill is a farce.

10. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

So if it's Law now.... the House can do nothing? Still watching the showdown. I'm thinking to pay the penalty...would be cheaper.

11. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    There are certain elements of the law that are already in effect and Republicans (apparently) are not trying to reverse them. The insurance exchanges open in 4 hours.

Yes, if someone is not insured and don't want to get insurance the penalty is cheaper than insurance rates.

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Probably, not to mention you can now buy insurance once some disease happens :)

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You will be able to sign up for insurance between Oct 1 and Dec 31 each year. So be sure to schedule your diagnosis of cancer or schedule your crippling auto accident in December instead of January.

14. thisnumbersdisconnected

So now we're advocating fraud?

[​IMG]

15. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Chances are if that happened, you would then be eligible for medicaid due to income...or use the ER like most do now.

16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks Medishare puts me back in the market, exempts me from obamacare and paying for abortions. Also we get info of those we share with and can pray with them. Nice.

17. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. My point is that people that wait until they are sick to sign up are foolish because they might get sick months before the annual sign up period, possibly incurring thousands and thousands of out-of-pocket expenses. That is, <sarcasm begins now> unless they can schedule their sickness or accident right before the signing up window closes.

18. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Enrollment goes through 3/31, BTW. 6 months to enroll...flip of the coin :smilewinkgrin:

19. thisnumbersdisconnected

Again, most people are not going to sign up, despite your reading the federal exchange servers crashing this morning as a solid sign that they are. Here's why:

Note that average incomes -- and most people earn in the neighborhood of $40K-$45K, particularly with two income families -- create a situation that puts the family upside down as to insurance cost vs. the penalty for not having insurance. For single wage earners, or just plain singles, it makes no sense to sign up for insurance that costs more than the penalty, which disinformation has stated provides insurance. It does not. It's just a penalty.

The median income in this country is about $57,000. That means that nearly 70% of all households would be upside down, insurance cost vs. penalty. Your Great Pretender's program is doomed, and he knows it. That's why the directive is out not to compromise. His "landmark legislation" is a landmark fiasco in the works, and he has to get it nailed down tight before everyone figures that out. I believe he is too late.

#39 thisnumbersdisconnected, Oct 1, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2013
  20. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    OK, I did not know that. I thought it was a 3 month window. Still, as you say it's a 50/50 gamble to wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.