1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heartland Help

Discussion in 'Baptist Colleges & Seminaries' started by Journeyman, Dec 29, 2006.

1. Journeyman

Journeyman New Member

Any real info on this school. Looking into it for my daughter. Looking to see if the Church gets into things like easter eggs or bale bushes.

2. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Do you have any information to help us figure out which Heartland you are asking about?

3. Journeyman

Journeyman New Member

Heartland

Sorry, the one in Oklahoma City OK. Didn't realize there were more than one.
    Thanks

4. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not sure what you mean by the easter egg and bale bushes comment; but here is my take.

Heartland is an unaccredited school, in fact Oklahoma won't even allow them to give degrees, they have to give certificates of completion instead.

It is big into the whole KJVO thing, no pants and the like. It is hardly a rigorous academic institution and its "followship" of Sam Davidson is frankly a bit on the creepy side. Even in KJVO land there are far better places to go.

From your profile it says you are in Florida, why not something closer like, Bob Jones or Pensacola Christian? They still way to legalistic for my tastes but at least you get an education you can do something with.

5. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Journeyman,

With all due respect it is unlikely Go2Church has ever had any meaningful conversation with Mr. Davidson and he probably knows nothing about the school other than the web site.

Heartland is an Independent Baptist school that caters to the needs of ministers, missionaries as well as primary education. They have many men on staff who have their doctorates and who will challenge the students academically. This is not to say their academic program is on par with PCC or Bob Jones but they are far less rigid than PCC and I do not know about Bob Jones.

Heartland is an institution that will only get better over the years, though many call it a KJVO school (the King James is the only bible used in the school) it does not take the stand that the KJV is an inspired translation or that it corrects the original Greek or Hebrew. What the school does hold to is that the King James is the best translation available to English speaking peoples. I know that is debatable but thats the way it is.

I would suggest that you go with your daughter to the school and see first hand the campus and meet with the leadership of the school. Also go to Southwest Baptist in OKC and see the church where most but not all of the students go.

My Pastor teaches Hermaneutics at the school each fall and I teach a couple of transferable classes at our church for the school.

If your daughter is looking to teach in state schools Go2Church is right she would be better off going to an accredited institution but if she is looking to prepare for ministry why not go to Heartland where nearly every student is there to enter ministry.

Also as a father myself I must say that Heartland would be a great place for your daughter to meet your future son in law.

thjplgvp

#5 thjplgvp, Dec 29, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2006
  6. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is where you would be wrong! Not only have I talked with Sam Davidson, I have heard him preach on numerous occasions although I am sure he doesn't remember a youth pastor from Pueblo almost 15 years ago. I went to PCBBC (San Dimas), before Sam and the gang sold the land took the money and moved to Oklahoma and I have had "dealings" with the school trying to get transcripts from them for my time at PCBBC. Let's just say it has never been an easy task for myself or my wife. Even in PCBBC's worst days they could give degrees and take Pell Grant and the GI Bill money. It should cause you some pause when a school moves to Oklahoma and is unable to at least match these minimum standards.

Also as a father myself I must say that Heartland would be a great place for your daughter to meet your future son in law.

This comment reminds me of the unnatural pressure put on young people in many IFB circles to "find the right one" rather then to be and do what God desires, even if that means being a single man or pursuing ministry as a women (heaven forbid!)

7. Journeyman

Journeyman New Member

Its easy to see

Thanks to all for the insight - its easy to see the perspective from those that are in and those that are around the word. I know going there and spending a week end would not really give me the true flavor of anyplace. The bale bush and easter egg comments are there for a purpose to see how deep the teaching there go. Anyone out there got any insight on if they teach some of the unpopular to american culture Bible.

Thanks

8. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

Journeyman,

Concerning baling Bush I did not know he was in jail. :tonofbricks:

Concerning "unpopular to american culture Bible" if you are refrerring to the book by Marsden I have not read it.

If you are refrerring to the culture of America being formed around the Bible then I wuold have to say that Heartland does indeed teach that our bible is central to our nation and its founding but I would also state that Europe is central in the founding of our nation as well.

thjplgvp