Heaven Is Just A Layover?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by TCGreek, Jul 28, 2008.

1. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

We sing, we preach, but we're wrong. Heaven is just a glorious layover. It's not our final destiny. Just ask Peter:

If you have problem with Peter, consult John (Revelation 21-22). :thumbs:

2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist
    Expand Collapse

The TNIV is warping you...first there was the NIV...nearly inspired version, then the TNIV, Totally Not Inspired Version. :laugh:

Seriously though... why do you believe the heaven and the earth spoken of by Peter and John includes the throne of God?

3. rdwhite

rdwhite
    Expand Collapse

I believe this passage is speaking of the physical earth and universe. The 3rd heaven would not be included in this destruction. However, in my understanding, after the Great White Throne Judgment, God will create a new Heaven and Earth, along with New Jerusalem, which will be our habitation. So, if that be true, then yes heaven is only a layover, with New Jerusalem being our final destination.

4. Rubato 1

Rubato 1
    Expand Collapse

I agree, TC.

We also often preach 'that sinners will be in hell forever, etc' though that premise is false as well. Sinners will be 'fished out' of hell, after which hell will be cast into the lake of fire (along with death); then the sinners will be judged, and those not found in the book of life will be cast into the lake of fire also (the second death).

R1

5. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Good one, RB! :thumbs:

Well, What is John saying in Rev 22:3? I believe they'll all be one for eternity.

6. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Good take.

7. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Hell becomes the Lake of Fire, then, yes.

8. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

You want to see the heavens that will burn up, then just go outside and look UP!!!

BBob,

9. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist
    Expand Collapse

"And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea. " Rev 22:1

The old is contrasted with the new. The current heavens and earth, which refer to the earth and the universe, will be burned up, and a new one made. Then what happens.

And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

And then skipping to 22

1And he shewed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb.

2In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life, which bare twelve manner of fruits, and yielded her fruit every month: and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

3And there shall be no more curse: but the throne of God and of the Lamb shall be in it; and his servants shall serve him:

This current earth and heavens will pass away. A new one will be created in which the throne of God will be. God Himself will dwell with men. As it is written,

"And I heard a loud voice from heaven saying, “Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and He will dwell with them, and they shall be His people. God Himself will be with them and be their God." Rev 21:3

10. rdwhite

rdwhite
    Expand Collapse

So then are you saying that some of the sinners who are fished out and stand in judgment, will be found in the Book of Life, will not be cast into the Lake of Fire, and will enter into life eternal?

11. Rubato 1

Rubato 1
    Expand Collapse

No. Just that Hell, the 'holding tank' for the unsaved will be cast into the lake of fire, followed by those who inhabited it.

The saved do not enter hell nor the lake of fire, unless you wich to consider 'Abraham's Bosom' a seperate part of 'hell', the 'belly of the earth', as some do.

12. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Then you're saying that Heaven is a layover. :thumbs:

13. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist
    Expand Collapse

I am saying that in the new heavens and earth, physical, the place where God is and the spirits of those made perfect, wherever that is, the paradise Jesus talked about, "comes down" and with men.

So, it's not a layover, its a landing. :tongue3:

14. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Good one! :thumbs:

But before the landing we're being kept in heaven as we await the recreation of all things.

15. sag38

sag38
    Expand Collapse

If I understand scripture correctly, Abraham's bosom is no longer occupied. Did not Jesus free those who dwelt there?

16. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist
    Expand Collapse

that's how I understand it. If we die before the Lord comes again, we go to the Lord as glorifed spirits awaiting the final resurrection of our bodies at the last day.

17. Brother Bob

Brother Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

And if you go to the Lord, now where you think that might be??? If we go there when we die, seems to me its already in existence.

Do you think it could be in the Heaven where God is. Is there scripture that Heaven is coming to earth???

BBob,

#17 Brother Bob, Jul 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2008
  18. JustChristian

JustChristian
    Expand Collapse
    Banned

Hell and the Lake of Fire are different names for the same place.

19. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Paul certainly believes that (2 Cor 5:8).

20. TCGreek

TCGreek
    Expand Collapse

Reflect on Revelation 21-22.