1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Heaven or Earth

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Judith, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The bible speaks of a new heaven and new earth that is coming. Where will the saints spend most of eternity. Heaven or on earth? I am thinking we will be on earth.

2. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

I agree with you. I once heard someone say he hopes to never go to heaven. I didn't understand it then, but I do now.

3. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That is a strange thing for a believer to say. I know JW's say that and they will get their wish. The thing is every saint will be in heaven for at least some period of time. I am just thinking we will be sent back to the re-created earth to spend eternity.

4. righteousdude2

righteousdude2 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wow....

...someone agrees with you, and you still hit them with a judgemental comment! Strange way to approach others; jus' sayin'!

#4 righteousdude2, Mar 25, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2014
  5. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Personally....

.....it doesn't matter to me where we will be spending eternity so long as it is with God!

Not much is written either way, and I think there is a reason for that! Too much specualtion about something no one can do anything about anyways! I mean what are you going to do, Judith! Look around when you get to heaven and say, "Golly gee God, I figured heaven would be set up on a recreated earth?"

My only question to you and others responding to this OP, what does it matter where we will be? Is the final destination more important than the eternal results? I think it is more important to know that heaven will be where ever God is!

Personally, that is all that matters. :saint:

6. salzer mtn

salzer mtn Well-Known Member

John 14:2-3 In my fathers house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you I will come again and receive you unto myself, that where I am, there ye may be also. By this scripture Christ went to where the Father dwells at present to build mansions for the redeemed. Also he will come again one day to receive us to glory to occupy those mansions. If he is in the process of building or has already built the mansions then they are somewhere other than the new earth which is to come.

7. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You seem to say a lot of nothing. :smilewinkgrin:

8. Baptist Believer

Baptist Believer Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Heaven and earth will be one.

I don't necessarily think we will be limited to the 3rd planet from the sun though. The current universe is so large, so may be working with God beyond this planet.

9. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

:thumbsup: not an either / or proposition

10. thisnumbersdisconnected

Very true, and I don't think the "New Earth" is this planet. Looks to me like it gets replaced in/by the New Jerusalem.

11. ShagNappy

ShagNappy Member

This.... :thumbs:

12. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I think it will be this earth. Like our bodies, all creation will be resurrected from the curse of sin. To wipe his hands to this earth and start over is an admission sin won over His creation. The New Jerusalem will be on this resurrected earth in this resurrected universe.

13. thisnumbersdisconnected

You know, you're right. I don't know what I was thinking this morning. Maybe not enough coffee had awakened my poor tired brain then. LOL

Yes, it isn't replaced, it is renewed.
    Isaiah 65, NASB
    17 "For behold, I create new heavens and a new earth;
    And the former things will not be remembered or come to mind. ​
    The word "new" is the Hebrew chadash and can also mean "fresh" or "refresh." Same planet, remodeled by the original Builder. :thumbsup:

14. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

As I've heard in a song, "Where Jesus is, that will be heaven for me."

15. Judith

Judith Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interesting. So do you believe that God and the holy angels will reside on earth?
    Also since Jesus said people neither marry or are given in marriage in heaven I would assume there will not be any new people. It will be interesting to see how and what the new bodies are capable of.

16. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I can't believe this is even an issue. (actually I can, most Christians are Bible-illiterate)

Humans were created to have a body (point of the resurrection) and to live in a material world (earth). God's goal has never been to take his people out of the world (i.e. rapture theology) but rather to live with them in their world. That's the point of the garden of Eden, of the tabernacling presence of God in the ark of the covenant, of the temple, of Jesus as the new temple and Emmanuel and "I am with you always", of the Spirit in us, the body of Christ as the temple, & yes the new heaven and new earth where, "the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God" (Rev. 21:3)!!!

Christians who want heaven haven't read their Bible. I want new creation. I want paradise restored on this earth. Most of all, I want to be in the presence of God as he is dwelling amongst us!

17. Greektim

Greektim Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First question: that's what the Bible says!
    Rev 21:3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, "Behold, the dwelling place of God is with man. He will dwell with them, and they will be his people, and God himself will be with them as their God.

Second question: This is typical of people mixing up "heaven" and the resurrection!!! Jesus didn't speak of heaven in that way but of the resurrection:

Mat 22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels in heaven.

Same w/ Luke's version

Part of your theology will be messed up if you keep focusing on the immaterial state in heaven. That is just the "life after death". The Bible, and you, should be focused on "life after life-after-death" (to steal N. T. Wright).

18. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

It's not a strange thing to say if you read the bible.

19. HungryInherit

HungryInherit New Member

:godisgood:

20. righteousdude2

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry....

that is the preacher in me!