1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heavenly Minded/Earthly Good

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by drfuss, Jan 25, 2012.

1. drfuss

drfuss New Member

Over the past 50 years, I have heard many prople say about someone: "He is so heavenly minded, he is no earthly good".

My questions are:

Can we be too heavenly minded?

Should we strive to be earthly good?

What are your thoughts on this?

2. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Got their heads in the clouds maybe? :)

Some people can get so hung up their theology that they neglect obeying it.

3. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

I always took this saying as meaning can know all about the theology and doctrines of the Bible, and yet not be applying that knowledge in a daily practical basis!

can know and quote verses on prayers and witnessing, yet do neither!

4. Christos doulos

Christos doulos New Member

It's not biblical. Liberal Christians like to use that phrase against orthodox Christians who believe we are not to set our affections on this world but the world to come.

Liberal Christians want to establish the kingdom now, but how can you have a kingdom without a king?
    They believe (earthly good) feeding the poor, tending to the sick etc.... takes precedence over (heavenly minded) preaching the gospel. That is why you see earthly good Christians working with gay, atheist, interfaith organizations whereas heavenly minded Christians will do the same in feeding the poor etc.. but refuse to work with other organizations for fear of compromising the gospel.

The problem with this phrase, is that it doesn't make scriptural sense. If a person is truly heavenly minded then he or she can ONLY be earthly good.

#4 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2012
  5. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

My thought is

You will never be any earthly good until you are heavenly minded!!!!

:type::type::type:

6. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

I find that term used when I run into people who are all, "God bless you brother," and "God did this for me and that for me and this for my sister and that for my aunt," as well as "God is in everything and you just have to trust Him for the $20 you need." Instead of, "Come, let us pray," and "How can I help," and "Here is $20, be blessed."

Some folks are all mouth and no action. Some are all "enclave" and no "mission." Some are all "church" and no "lost sinners." Those are the ones who are "too heavenly minded to be of any earthly good."

All talk and no action defies James and Paul and Jesus, all of whom expected that we would live out our faith in a real way to real people in a very real world so as to impact those inheriting the world to come.

7. Christos doulos

My friend. Being earthly good is when we seek after man's wisdom/ man's approval. Always be heavenly minded. The Bible says, “Set your mind on things above, not on the things that are on earth” being heavenly minded always inspires us to be more earthly good.

8. Christos doulos

My friend. "all church and doesn't care about lost sinners" is not a heavenly minded person. Furthermore we must be careful, because that can be a form of legalism.

#8 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
  9. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Tell that to the one who is all "God Bless" and no action...

10. DaChaser1

DaChaser1 New Member

Would that be same as when we say that we will pray say for our missionaries, which is important, yet refuse to ask God IF he just might want us to give financially too?

11. Christos doulos

Exactly DaChaser1!!! Where does it end?

What if I am a Christian who doesn't give money because I grew up with a false belief that money gives me security. An insecurity I developed during my life because I grew up very poor, and that the Lord has been gradually working on me to see Him as my security.

We come from all walks of life and bring all sorts of baggage with us. Let's not be so quick to judge our brothers and sisters in Christ.

#11 Christos doulos, Jan 26, 2012
  12. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Or worse... When He calls US to go and we refuse (all the while saying "God Bless").