1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heavens vs Heaven, how many heavens do we have?

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by mattjtayl, Sep 29, 2008.

1. mattjtayl

mattjtayl New Member

Ok it bugs me I thought there was only one heaven, so why do I read in some of the new and old testament books, "above in the heavens" ? Throughout the new testament I will read heavens instead of heaven when in the gospels Jesus refers to one heaven?

#1 mattjtayl, Sep 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2008
  2. ReformedBaptist

ReformedBaptist Well-Known Member

Sometimes the sky and universe are referred to as heaven in Scripture. Sometimes paradice is referred to as heaven. Let the context give you the meaning.

3. canadyjd

canadyjd Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    1st Heaven= Firmament/sky where the birds and airplanes fly.

2nd Heaven=Space: where the stars are

3rd Heaven=Paradise/Abraham's bosom: Place where God exists with the angels and spirits wait for the resurrection. Where Paul and John were taken to recieve their revelation.

peace to you:praying:

4. ajg1959

ajg1959 New Member

I know of a pastor that teaches that there is an "intermediate heaven" that saved folks go to between the time they die and the time that Jesus comes back and raises their bodies from the grave.

But his theory assumes that God is confined by time, and is waiting for tomorrow to come just like we are. I think that if God created the concept of time, then He is certainly not confined by it, therefore there is no need for an "intermediate heaven".

Have any of you heard of this two heaven theory? I had not before this pastor told me about it.

AJ

5. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Sounds like a combination of pergatory and open theism. Both of which are wrong.

I agree with CanadyJD.

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Sounds like what some think was Abraham's Bosom from Luke 16.

But we know from what Paul wrote that "absent from the body, present with the Lord."

7. SBCPreacher

SBCPreacher Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I remember a big ugly debate on that phrase just a few months ago. I, too, agree with what canadyjd said.