1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrew 'qadash' and 'qodesh'

Discussion in 'Bible Versions & Translations' started by Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Quote:
    <<<The Hebrew word translated "sanctified" in Genesis 2:3 and "hallowed" in Exodus 20:11 is qadash, a word meaning "to hallow, to pronounce holy, to consecrate, to set apart for holy use".>>>

My question is, Is there any relationship between the word 'qadash' and the Hebrew word for 'month' -- 'qodesh'.

Only a person who knows the Hebrew language would be able to tell or and explain.

I do not know Hebrew. The spelling and pronunciation (morphology) made me think there could be an etymological connection in meaning as well. Is there?

2. jonathan.borland

jonathan.borland Active Member

They're not related except as one might pronounce two different Hebrew letters with the same English sound. The one is from קדש (qadash), to separate/make holy, the other from חדש (hadash w/ a constrictive 'h'), to make new.

3. Gerhard Ebersoehn

Gerhard Ebersoehn Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Thanks very much.

Now, the Hebrew word 'qad' -- please remember I do not know, but ask --

a) could it be a 'root-word' of <hadash> and or <qadash>?;

b) does it mean 'sharp', 'pointed', 'wedged', like when the moon is 'new'?

In other words, is there a 'hidden' connotation in 'qad' of 'sanctified' or 'put away / aside' (in the dark) as it were to 'reserve for holy use'?

#3 Gerhard Ebersoehn, Jun 11, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 11, 2014
  4. Deacon

Deacon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good question

Scanning multiple lexicons, I see no connections or relationships between the words.

Rob