1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hebrews 11

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned. 11:29

Before seven Sabbaths would pass they were making a golden calf.

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, 32,33

Were those specific people under the law, the schoolmaster?

And before the coming of the faith, under law we were being kept, shut up to the faith about to be revealed, so that the law became our child-conductor -- to Christ, that by faith we may be declared righteous, and the faith having come, no more under a child-conductor are we, Gal 3:23-25 YLT

Is this speaking of the same Faith as in Hebrews 11:33?

Were they chosen of God because of the faith (a noun) to come?

Or were they by their free will operating according to their verbal faith?

3. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Romans 10:17
    New American Standard Bible (NASB)
    17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word [Or concerning Christ]of Christ.

Romans 10:17
    King James Version (KJV)
    17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.

Faith comes by hearing. What? The word of God.

They heard what God did or they heard a message from God and they believed Him and faith caused action.

So God credited them Christ righteousness.

If i really had a choice i could of walked away but i didn't. If someone truly had a choice they can do the opposite of what they did.

I listened and learned those are the people Jesus said will come and He gave me a new will to follow Him. If I didn't listen and learn I would of never come. It was His loving kindness that drawn me He didn't drag me kicking and screaming. He changed me by His words.

1 Peter 1:23
    For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.

If you you were drug kicking and screaming well I don't know that God.

#23 psalms109:31, Mar 30, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 30, 2014
  4. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    So then Abraham could have disobeyed God and stayed where he was???
    And Noah, and Moses, all mentioned could have just as easily refused to obey and they never would have made the Hebrews 11 hall of faith??

5. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Abraham lied, Moses killed, Noah got drunk, showing they were sinners just like the rest of us. However, none of us have ever had the sort of direct communication with God as these did. In the area of providence (Acts 4:28) these three had no more choice in the matter as did Paul on the road to Damascus.

#25 kyredneck, Mar 31, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 31, 2014
  6. psalms109:31

We are all sinners that is not the point of Hebrews 11. Jesus came to save sinners being a sinners is who we are. If you don't think you are you are a liar and the truth is not in you. The point is we obey God when God tells us to go we do it. We believe God knowing we are sinners. You don't see Jonah in Hebrews 11 do you. We are dirty rags just like the rest of the world in need of Jesus to save us believe God.

We trust God just as we are and He will change us into the new creation the one choosen in Christ before the foundation of the world.

#26 psalms109:31, Mar 31, 2014
  7. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    'Trusting God to change us into the new creation' is not the point of Heb 11.

Jonah is proof providence will prevail regardless of whether we're faithful or not.

8. psalms109:31

There is a lot of Jonah's in our midst, what will it take to get them to realize they are no better then those in nineveh. Those In Hebrews 11 trusted God and believed God and was credited His righteousness

9. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you implying Jonah was not righteous?

10. psalms109:31

Jonah's God was working on just like the rest of us turning him into the new creation choose before the foundation of the world all it takes is a mustard seed.

11. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Seems to me most miss a major point of Heb 11 by not seeing that it's their actions that are manifesting their faith.

....I by my works will show thee my faith. Ja 2:18

Their actions showed that the law was written in their hearts, already.

12. psalms109:31

4 (Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.) 16 This will take place on the day when God judges people’s secrets through Jesus Christ, as my gospel declares.

Faith comes by hearing

13. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The only place faith is even remotely mentioned in Ro 2 is:

7 to them that by patience in well-doing seek for glory and honor and incorruption, eternal life:

You sola fide types have gone to seed with 'faith alone', rejecting/forgetting that faith without works is dead.

It should concern you that the only place 'faith alone' is mentioned in the scriptures is here:

Ye see that by works a man is justified, and not only by faith. Ja 2:24

#33 kyredneck, Mar 31, 2014
  14. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Well said brother!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ...and besides, you left off a crucial verse (13) in that passage that makes my point:

13 for not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified:
    14 (for when Gentiles that have not the law do by nature the things of the law, these, not having the law, are the law unto themselves;
    15 in that they show the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience bearing witness therewith, and their thoughts one with another accusing or else excusing them);
    16 in the day when God shall judge the secrets of men, according to my gospel, by Jesus Christ. Ro 2

'Not the hearers' but 'the doers', got that?

But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deluding your own selves. Ja 1:22

#35 kyredneck, Mar 31, 2014
  16. psalms109:31

I said faith causes action where have at all said it is faith alone. I also said that I'I show you my faith by what I do. I have no idea what you are trying to imply, but you haven't read all I have been saying.

If I have faith that can move mountains and have not love it is worthless.

17. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Interpret that for me please. I mean, it sounds good and all but is it biblical? Most here on BB consider faith to be nothing less than man's choice, man's will, man's decision; you saying it's our choice/our decision/our free will that causes us to do good works? Can you build on that concept from scripture?

What I see the scripture saying is that it is God working in us both to will and to work, not our choice, nor our will, nor our decision; you know, the law written in the heart that causes us to DO BY NATURE the things of the law.

#37 kyredneck, Mar 31, 2014
  18. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Men are such sinners by nature that it takes the supernatural working of God to bring about the obedience of faith that saints are called to.Archangel, Kyred and others have spoken to this.Good works are ordained and the means to this is God working in us...then we work it out....we exercise faith in order to own it, but then thank God for enabling us.
    Those in Heb 11 are great sinners,and yet God rejoices and sees the exercise of this God given faith as what we are to remember and learn from it.As God does not "remember our sins"....He delights in our service of worship, bring the glory due His Name!!

19. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Correct me if I am wrong.

I say their faith is what God was doing and there actions also was what god was doing. Consider.

Moses, who BTW they wanted to kill Moses and accused him of bring them into the wilderness to die, told them, "be ye still and see the salvation of the LORD."

By grace through the faith.

Before Adam was created it had been determined by God that, as of a lamb without spot and without blemish, the Christ would be slain, shed his precious blood. At that same time of determination God made the promise of hope of eternal life.

That is, the faith of God. The Christ, the Son of the living God, shedding his precious blood, dying and the Father of the Son giving the Son the promised hope. The grace of God that bringeth salvation through the faith of God.

If Abram does not depart there will be no faith, for his seed in which all the nations of the earth shall be blessed will never arrive.

If the Egyptians kill them faith will never come. Their salvation from the Egyptians is to bring about the Faith for the eternal salvation of man, redemption from the power of the devil.

As stated above these people in a few weeks will receive the law, their schoolmaster unto Christ and be shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.

Their justification will come the faith. Through the Son of God shedding his precious blood and being given life, eternal from death.

yes, also of nations; since one is God who shall declare righteous the circumcision by faith, and the uncircumcision through the faith. Romans 3:30 YLT

The circumcision, those under the law, by faith TO come.
    The uncircumcision through the faith That did come.

The determination and the promise.

Is that not exactly what took place.

and apart from faith it is impossible to please well, for it behoveth him who is coming to God to believe that He is, and to those seeking Him He becometh a rewarder. Heb 11:6 YLT
    who through him do believe in God, who did raise out of the dead, and glory to him did give, so that your faith and hope may be in God. 1 Peter 1:21

What was the faith that pleased God?

20. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That phrase, "obedience of faith," found twice Rom 1:5 & 16:26 no article, "the," in either place. Is that phrase not relative to the obedience Christ, "learned and became, " see Heb 5:8 & Phil 2:8 rather than being relative to man? Considering also that obedience and faith both are nouns?

Without the Christ learning and becoming obedient would there have been any gospel or apostleship thereof, to the nations?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.