1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hebrews 11

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Amen! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

2. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Then you are saying Abraham could have said thanks God, but no thanks, and stayed where he was. He either had a choice in the matter, or he was made to obey God's plan for himself. Now which way do you want to play this? And it has nothing to do with salvation verses sanctification, or all humans having the ability to sin. I'm asking you if Abraham could have said no to God AND then God just use someone else who was willing?

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And then there was Judas, walked with Jesus, called by Jesus, given power to cast out demons and do miracles for Jesus, but in the end...........

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    The question is simple and to the point. Could Abraham have said "no" to God (indefinitely of course) and thus God move on to another? If the answer to that is "no", then the question remains "so what then?" how faithful (believing) they were? They only did what God formed them to do.

"Hath not the potter power over the clay," (To use Calvinism's application)

5. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Hebrews 4:
    4 Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2 For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed.[Some manuscripts because those who heard did not combine it with faith] 3 Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,

“So I declared on oath in my anger,
    ‘They shall never enter my rest.’”[Psalm 95:11; also in verse 5]
    And yet his works have been finished since the creation of the world. 4 For somewhere he has spoken about the seventh day in these words: “On the seventh day God rested from all his works.”[Gen. 2:2] 5 And again in the passage above he says, “They shall never enter my rest.”

6 Therefore since it still remains for some to enter that rest, and since those who formerly had the good news proclaimed to them did not go in because of their disobedience, 7 God again set a certain day, calling it “Today.” This he did when a long time later he spoke through David, as in the passage already quoted:

“Today, if you hear his voice,
    do not harden your hearts.”[Psalm 95:11; also in verse 5]
    8 For if Joshua had given them rest, God would not have spoken later about another day. 9 There remains, then, a Sabbath-rest for the people of God; 10 for anyone who enters God’s rest also rests from their works,[Gen. 2:2] just as God did from his. 11 Let us, therefore, make every effort to enter that rest, so that no one will perish by following their example of disobedience.

12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart. 13 Nothing in all creation is hidden from God’s sight. Everything is uncovered and laid bare before the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

2 Timothy 2:
    11 Here is a trustworthy saying:

If we died with him,
    we will also live with him;

12 if we endure,
    we will also reign with him.
    If we disown him,
    he will also disown us
    ;
    13 if we are faithless,
    he remains faithful,
    for he cannot disown himself.

John 15
    New International Version (NIV)
    The Vine and the Branches

15 “I am the true vine, and my Father is the gardener. 2 He cuts off every branch in me that bears no fruit, while every branch that does bear fruit he prunes[The Greek for he prunes also means he cleans.] so that it will be even more fruitful. 3 You are already clean because of the word I have spoken to you. 4 Remain in me, as I also remain in you. No branch can bear fruit by itself; it must remain in the vine. Neither can you bear fruit unless you remain in me.

5 “I am the vine; you are the branches. If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. 6 If you do not remain in me, you are like a branch that is thrown away and withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. 7 If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. 8 This is to my Father’s glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

You are not passive you would have to ignore most of the Holy Bible or just reconcile it out of the Holy Bible to believe that.

Jesus did all the work the only thing we have left to do is to enter Christ rest. To enter that rest, remain in Him, even if the devil says you are faithless and even if you believe that you remain in Christ no matter what people say or do you remain in Him. No matter what happens you remain in Him and His rest. Do not let trials and tribulation choke you out of His grace.

Jesus cannot disown Himself.

#65 psalms109:31, Apr 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2014
  6. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Amen! :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

7. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yea, but once again we're in the realm of providence, the scripture HAD to be fulfilled:

Yea, mine own familiar friend, in whom I trusted, Who did eat of my bread, Hath lifted up his heel against me. Ps 41:9

70 Jesus answered them, Did not I choose you the twelve, and one of you is a devil?
    71 Now he spake of Judas the son of Simon Iscariot, for he it was that should betray him, being one of the twelve. Jn 6

I speak not of you all: I know whom I have chosen: but that the scripture may be fulfilled: He that eateth my bread lifted up his heel against me. Jn 13:18

8. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I would say.......there is no what if....or could have:thumbs:

There is only whatsoever comes to pass according to that which God has ordained. acts 2:23

If you fail to present the gospel to your neighbor...God will have already ordained the means to get the gospel to your neighbor if he is elect...despite your failure.

#68 Iconoclast, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  9. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Could what God ordained happen but then you don't like it and rebellion against God, could God give you over to your own evil desire or do you believe you being ordained is set in stone and can never change? With God having the full knowledge it will.

You were anointed as a guardian cherub,
    for so I ordained you.
    You were on the holy mount of God;
    you walked among the fiery stones.
    15 You were blameless in your ways
    from the day you were created
    till wickedness was found in you.
    16 Through your widespread trade
    you were filled with violence,
    and you sinned.
    So I drove you in disgrace from the mount of God,
    and I expelled you, guardian cherub,
    from among the fiery stones.
    17 Your heart became proud
    on account of your beauty,
    and you corrupted your wisdom
    because of your splendor.
    So I threw you to the earth;
    I made a spectacle of you before kings.
    18 By your many sins and dishonest trade
    you have desecrated your sanctuaries.
    So I made a fire come out from you,
    and it consumed you,
    and I reduced you to ashes on the ground
    in the sight of all who were watching.
    19 All the nations who knew you
    are appalled at you;
    you have come to a horrible end
    and will be no more.’”

#69 psalms109:31, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2014
  10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    If I were to fail then it is God whom ordained me to fail, correct?

And if I have great faith it is bc God has ordained me to have great faith, correct?

Thus.......the question remains........"so what?"

11. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    steaver

If it comes to pass it was ordained.Nothing comes to pass that was not ordained....Your failure is your own....God does not cause you to fail.It is not like Judas was a nice guy but was forced to seek the 30 pieces of silver.

God enables a person .....He does not live your life for you.....you believe, you repent, you mortify sin...God does not need to do any of those things...YOU DO.
    I do not see any so what question....I see you confusing yourself.:wavey:

12. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Do you really not see the conflict in your statements?

13. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    There is no conflict whatsoever.

14. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Disobedience is sin, correct?

Unbelief is sin, correct?

Judas was ordained to betray Jesus, correct?

How did Judas have a choice to betray Jesus or not betray Jesus if Judas was ordained to betray Jesus?

15. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    A very ancient question just for lil' ol' you, steaver:

"Why did the Gentiles rage, And the peoples imagine vain things?" [Acts 4:25; Ps 2:1]

"Ever and anon the noncalvinist cries, Why doth He yet find fault?" Aaron

(another ancient question just for lil' ol' you, steaver - Ro 9:19; ever get the feeling when reading the bible that someone seen you coming? I have many many times :) )

#75 kyredneck, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  16. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Avoid the poster's question and ask your own, it's an old move. :smilewinkgrin:

17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I understand Romans 9 and can explain it, can marry the two truths of scripture which has man making freewill choices and at the same time has God ordaining the outcomes, question is, can a Calvinist?

A question just for you brother ky calvinist......Did God's wrath exist before Creation or develop afterwards?

18. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If the poster would cease to avoid some meditation on what's been written perhaps the poster wouldn't be replying against God, because that's exactly who your beef is with, not the DoGs. To answer the question posed to you:

24 And they, when they heard it, lifted up their voice to God with one accord, and said, O Lord, thou that didst make the heaven and the earth and the sea, and all that in them is:
    25 who by the Holy Spirit, by the mouth of our father David thy servant, didst say, Why did the Gentiles rage, And the peoples imagine vain things?
    26 The kings of the earth set themselves in array, And the rulers were gathered together, Against the Lord, and against his Anointed:
    27 for of a truth in this city against thy holy Servant Jesus, whom thou didst anoint, both Herod and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles and the peoples of Israel, were gathered together,
    28 to do whatsoever thy hand and thy council foreordained to come to pass.

Judas was part of all that, like it or not. Judas did whatsoever His hand and His council foreordained to come to pass, just as Herod did, Pontius Pilate did, or anyone else that had anything to do with it.

Is there something that you don't like about this precept?:

And we know that to them that love God all things work together for good, even to them that are called according to his purpose. Ro 8:28

#78 kyredneck, Apr 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2014
  19. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I never reply against God, I reply against interpretations of God's Word, as do you. And I support all the doctrines of Grace found in the scriptures.

20. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Endless shuck and jive from Calvinism is an old maxim. They say everything is predetermined because knows the future. Thus only the foreknown future can occur, or else God would be mistaken. Therefore God predestines everything. Your birth, your breathing your thoughts and your sins.

But He is not the author of the sins He predestined you to do. And no Calvinist sees any conflict. Shuck and jive, shuck and jive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.