1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hebrews 11

Discussion in 'Calvinism & Arminianism Debate' started by steaver, Mar 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    4 Thus said Jehovah my God: Feed the flock of slaughter;
    5 whose possessors slay them, and hold themselves not guilty; and they that sell them say, Blessed be Jehovah, for I am rich; and their own shepherds pity them not.
    6 For I will no more pity the inhabitants of the land, saith Jehovah; but, lo, I will deliver the men every one into his neighbor`s hand, and into the hand of his king; and they shall smite the land, and out of their hand I will not deliver them.
    7 So I fed the flock of slaughter, verily the poor of the flock. And I took unto me two staves; the one I called Beauty, and the other I called Bands; and I fed the flock.
    8 And I cut off the three shepherds in one month; for my soul was weary of them, and their soul also loathed me.
    9 Then said I, I will not feed you: that which dieth, let it die; and that which is to be cut off, let it be cut off; and let them that are left eat every one the flesh of another.
    10 And I took my staff Beauty, and cut it asunder, that I might break my covenant which I had made with all the peoples.
    11 And it was broken in that day; and thus the poor of the flock that gave heed unto me knew that it was the word of Jehovah.
    12 And I said unto them, If ye think good, give me my hire; and if not, forbear. So they weighed for my hire thirty pieces of silver.
    13 And Jehovah said unto me, Cast it unto the potter, the goodly price that I was prized at by them. And I took the thirty pieces of silver, and cast them unto the potter, in the house of Jehovah.
    14 Then I cut asunder mine other staff, even Bands, that I might break the brotherhood between Judah and Israel. Zech 11

He fed 'that generation' riddles and dark sayings, they in turn bribed the greedy Judas to betray Him.

2. steaver

steaver Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    And this somehow proves Calvinism?

God eventually turns over to destruction those who continually refuse him.

Ro1:26 - "And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient;"

2Tim3:8 - "Now as Jannes and Jambres withstood Moses, so do these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith."

Tit1:16 - "They profess that they know God; but in works they deny him, being abominable, and disobedient, and unto every good work reprobate."

3. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Hey brother ky, you still working on an answer for my question to you in post #77?

4. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    It's interesting also that TULIP teaches that those who end up being
    the focus of God's wrath were created just for the purpose of God's
    wrath, they cite Romans 9 for this. So God is love and God is wrath, and God decided to create some people to give His love to
    and some people to give His wrath to.

Now I am not God who can speak things into existence, but I do have the power to procreate. So if I find myself having both love within me, and hate and wrath within me as well, would it be just for me to procreate some children choosing beforehand to give some my love to satisfy my love side, and to give some my wrath to satisfy my wrath side? Would all of you TULIP believers be ok with this? Or does something sound a bit unjust about it?

5. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Was man created in order to be redeemed? Or died he fail in some manner and then need to be redeemed?

What in the power of Whom is the man redeemed from?

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you, 1 Peter 1:18-20

Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil; And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage. Heb 2:14,15

He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1 John 3:8

It appears to me the first man, Adam, the living soul and all souls after him was created for the purpose of the Son of God to come into the world as the last Adam, die for the first Adam and be regenerated as the new creation of man doing battle, and defeating the devil and his works. Being glorified with the Father.

Who by him do believe in God, that raised him up from the dead, and gave him glory; that your faith and hope might be in God. 1 Peter 1:21

Will God be glorified more if few are redeemed or if many are redeemed.
    Glorified with he and his Son?

When will we be glorified with him? Just what is the purchased possession that receives redemption?

Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.

Hebrews 11 list some of those, and their actions in God bringing forth the Lamb of God to give his life and then be given life from the dead by his Father. The resurrected Christ, the seed of Abraham, is the faith of Abraham.

#85 percho, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  6. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Romans 2:11 "God is NOT Partial".

And of course there is the Calvinist problem of "making God the cause of his own lament" when He says to the wicked "what more could I have done?''

Calvinism has a problem letting the bible just speak the truth in love.

in Christ,

Bob

7. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Those are excellent points of scripture. It seems this debate gets one sided when these passages are brought up, the Calvinist either stops responding or attempts to change the narrative.

8. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

Calvinism

Just because someone sounds like a Calvinist or says they are a Calvinist doesn't mean they are or you can believe everything they say as scripture.

We are to believe God over our own understanding.

We try to blanket all baptist believers who are non-arm all together under Calvinism. There is Reformers, there is Primitive Baptist, and Calvinist just to name some do you really believe they all the same?

A real Calvinist believe the scripture over what they believe even if it seems to be contradictory.

http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0207.htm

"But Esaias is very bold, and saith, I was found of them that sought me not; I was made manifest unto them that asked not after me. But to Israel he saith, all day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people."—Romans 10:20-21.

"DOUBTLESS THESE WORDS primarily refer to the casting away of the Jews, and to the choosing of the Gentiles. The Gentiles were a people who sought not after God, but lived in idolatry; nevertheless, Jehovah was pleased in these latter times to send the gospel of his grace to them: while the Jews who had long enjoyed the privileges of the Word of God, on account of their disobedience and rebellion were cast away. I believe, however, that while this is the primary object of the words of our text, yet, as Calvin says, the truth taught in the text is a type of a universal fact. As God did choose the people who knew him not, so hath he chosen, in the abundance of his grace, to manifest his salvation to men who are out of the way; while, on the other hand, the men who are lost, after having heard the Word, are lost because of their wilful sin; for God doth all the day long "stretch forth his hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people."
    The system of truth is not one straight line, but two. No man will ever get a right view of the gospel until he knows how to look at the two lines at once. I am taught in one book to believe that what I sow I shall reap: I am taught in another place, that "it is not of him that willeth nor of him that runneth, but of God that showeth mercy." I see in one place, God presiding over all in providence; and yet I see, and I cannot help seeing, that man acts as he pleases, and that God has left his actions to his own will, in a great measure. Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act, that there was no presidence of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to Atheism; and if, on the other hand, I declare that God so overrules all things, as that man is not free enough to be responsible, I am driven at once into Antinomianism or fatalism. That God predestines, and that man is responsible, are two things that few can see. They are believed to be inconsistent and contradictory; but they are not. It is just the fault of our weak judgment. Two truths cannot be contradictory to each other. If, then, I find taught in one place that everything is fore-ordained, that is true; and if I find in another place that man is responsible for all his actions, that is true; and it is my folly that leads me to imagine that two truths can ever contradict each other. These two truths, I do not believe, can ever be welded into one upon any human anvil, but one they shall be in eternity: they are two lines that are so nearly parallel, that the mind that shall pursue them farthest, will never discover that they converge; but they do converge, and they will meet somewhere in eternity, close to the throne of God, whence all truth doth spring...

O sinner, humble thyself under the mighty hand of God, when thou thinkest of how often he hath shown his love to thee, by bidding thee come to himself, and yet how often thou hast spurned his Word and refused his mercy, and turned a deaf ear to every invitation, and hast gone thy way to rebel against a God of love, and violate the commands of him that loved thee.
    And now, how shall I conclude? My first exhortation shall be to Christian people. My dear friends, I beseech you do not in any way give yourselves lip to any system of faith apart from the Word of God. The Bible, and the Bible alone, is the religion of Protestants; I am the successor of the great and venerated Dr. Gill, whose theology is almost universally received among the stronger Calvinistic churches; but although I venerate his memory, and believe his teachings, yet he is not my Rabbi. What you find in God's Word is for you to believe and to receive. Never be frightened at a doctrine; and above all, never be frightened at a name. Some one said to me the other day, that he thought the truth lay somewhere between the two extremes. He meant right, but I think he was wrong, I do not think the truth lies between the two extremes, but in them both. I believe the higher a man goes the better, when he is preaching the matter of salvation. The reason why a man is saved is grace, grace, grace; and you may go as high as you like there. But when you come to the question as to why men are damned, then the Arminian is far more right than the Antinomian""

C.H. Spurgeon

#88 psalms109:31, Apr 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2014
  9. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    For you to ascribe evil motives to God is not wise.It is a denial of God's perfect and holy attributes.

10. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Was that me, or am I simply pointing out the obvious conclusion of TULIP?

TULIP is for you to explain the unavoidable conclusion since you embrace it, I only point out the end conclusion of the belief system.

Another question for you in addition to the ones you avoided above....

Did God's wrath exist before Creation or develop afterwards?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

A Calvinist would probably say we are sinners and therefore deserve God's wrath.

Of course, Calvinists believe God ordained everything that comes to pass, and it could not happen any other way, and so God ordained that Adam would sin, and that all his posterity would be sinners that must sin and deserve his wrath.

Kinda like this old sketch by Michael Richards. See it at around 0:55 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ON5QDDfgbIs

#91 Winman, Apr 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2014
  12. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Once you buy the pig in the poke, you must defend the purchase. No, I am not irrational or foolish, I have faith there is a pig in that poke. Never mind it is hard like a rock, rather than soft like a pig. Never mind it make no sense, just believe and never look in the poke.

God predestines everything, but God is not the author of sin. Believe it. Repeat it like a mantra. Disparage those that admit the doctrine requires God to be the author of sin, call them Hyper's and not really Calvinists.

13. psalms109:31

psalms109:31 Active Member

God is not the creator of sin but man is not God so is not good in order to be good we need God. God created us in His image not to be God. We sinned when we worshiped what was created over the Creator who is blessed forever.

Ezekiel 28:15
    You were blameless in your ways from the day you were created till wickedness was found in you.

"I see, and I cannot help seeing, that man acts as he pleases, and that God has left his actions to his own will, in a great measure. Now, if I were to declare that man was so free to act, that there was no presidence of God over his actions, I should be driven very near to Atheism;"

C.H. Spurgeon

14. Van

Van Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Blameless in their ways, before the age of accountability, does not conflict with "the many were made sinners." One speaks of volitional sin, and one speaks of being conceived in iniquity, i.e. a sinful state, separated from God, spiritually dead.

15. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    I'm all for giving plenty of time to study before answering a difficult question. Questions and real life applications help us sort through and discard any wood, hay or stubble.

Here it is again....take your time, but I will be waiting :smilewinkgrin:

16. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am going to say, "Before."

I am going to say Adam was going to sin for the purpose of redemption. Therefore.

From Romans 7:14 but I am carnal, sold under sin. Sold under the sin of Adam. We are all born carnal, sold under sin. Gal 3:22 But the scripture hath concluded all under sin,

The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. John 1:29

Sin, singular, the sin of Adam that sold the flesh under sin.

Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers; (Back to Adam) (That the wrath of God could be satisfied through.) But with the precious blood of Christ, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot: Who verily was foreordained before the foundation of the world, but was manifest in these last times for you,
    1 Peter 1:18-20

Question/ Who was God mad at?

#96 percho, Apr 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2014
  17. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Could be...maybe...let's wait and see what ky and icon answers are........they'll be back as soon as they are done researching the question's answers.......it's like a chest match.....like if I answer this way, he might say this....or if I answer the other way, he might say this.....might be a check mate brewing!!. :smilewinkgrin:

18. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Van

Let's examine this.....

:confused:

???

:laugh:

:confused:

:laugh:

Very insightful.....

19. Iconoclast

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    before:wavey:

20. steaver

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian

Outline of biblical usage from Blueletter bible - "anger, the natural disposition, temper, character".

I believe we would have to agree that since God changes not, and developes not, wrath is part of God's eternal make up, God's character. Without wrath how could there be justice? If there is love, there must be hate, otherwise love has no measure of meaning. To understand good, one must understand evil. To understand good verses evil, one must understand a holy, moral code. Thus, is why we have God revealing Himself, His character, His attributes, His moral law, through the planned fall of Adam. God wanted Adam to gain the knowledge of good and evil.

Must go.....I'll be back :thumbsup:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.