1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrews 2:16

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Bill Brown, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Thoughts?

2. whatever

whatever New Member

Whatever it means, I think it is correct.

3. Me4Him

Me4Him New Member

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Ps 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Heb 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, (Flesh) made under the law, (subject to the law)

Is this what you're referring too?????

4. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Heb 2:9 But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.

Ps 8:5 For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.

Heb 2:7 Thou madest him a little lower than the angels; thou crownedst him with glory and honour, and didst set him over the works of thy hands:

Ga 4:4 But when the fulness of the time was come, God sent forth his Son, made of a woman, (Flesh) made under the law, (subject to the law)

Is this what you're referring too?????
    </font>[/QUOTE]Sorry. I did a bad job of stressing what I am trying to understand. I am more concerned with the authors comment, "but He took on Him the seed of Abraham."

5. bapmom

bapmom New Member

Jesus became a (Jewish) man, not an angel.....

hence the term "seed of Abraham".....

6. whatever

whatever New Member

I'm still not sure what you are looking for. He became a descendant of Abraham so that we could become descendants of Abraham.

7. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Jesus became a man so he could die for men; he did not die for angels or come to save angels.

8. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

Who is/are the seed of Abraham? The Jews? The Gentiles? Both?

9. whatever

whatever New Member

Gal 3:7-9 - "Know then that it is those of faith who are the sons of Abraham. And the Scripture, foreseeing that God would justify the Gentiles by faith, preached the gospel beforehand to Abraham, saying, 'In you shall all the nations be blessed.' So then, those who are of faith are blessed along with Abraham, the man of faith."

See Ephesians 2:11-22 as well.

10. Bill Brown

Bill Brown New Member

I have been wrestling with God having just one covenant people throughout human history, beginning with Adam and never ending. I won't hijack this thread and turn into a covenant theology vs. dispensationalism discussion. I will start a separate thread if that is warranted. But in my recent studies I cannot find any evidence to support anything but one covenant people. Old Testament saints and New Testaments saints were/are all saved by grace through faith. One group looking forward to coming Redeemer, the other group knowing the Redeemer who did come, Jesus Christ. I was just seeking some agreement or dissent.

11. Eliyahu

Eliyahu Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    ου γαρ δηπου αγγελων αλλα σπερματοσ Αβρααμ επιλαμβανεται

ου γαρ δηπου αγγελων αλλα σπερματοσ Αβρααμ επιλαμβανεται

The key to avoid any mistake in interpretting this verse is to notice "spermatos" is genitive form or an adjective, not the subjective noun form.
    In both Anggelon and spermatos, the noun subject is not shown but abbreviated. Then it depends on the translator and commentary.

I think "attributes, or nature, or charactoersistic" is abbreviated in both words, which means that Jesus took the human nature.

&lt;For indeed he didn't take the nature of angels but he took the nature of seed of Abraham&gt;

[ April 11, 2006, 12:06 PM: Message edited by: Eliyahu ]