1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hebrews 6:4-6

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Primitive Baptist, Jul 17, 2004.

?
  1. Hebrews 6:4-6 describes individuals who have been given eternal life, but forfeit it because of apos

22.2%
  2. Hebrews 6:4-6 describes individuals who have been given eternal life, but apostasy is hypothetical a

27.8%
  3. Hebrews 6:4-6 describes individuals who have been given eternal life but are subject to temporal jud

50.0%
  4. Hebrews 6:4-6 describes individuals who were never really born again.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. BobRyan

BobRyan Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Good point.

There is no point in warning against a mythical danger. Why take up scripture to warn us with impossible examples of things that can never happen.

It is much more logical and well reasoned to simply accept that "he was serious" and the danger is "real".

In Christ,

Bob

2. Primitive Baptist

Primitive Baptist New Member

BobRyan,

Suppose Hebrews 6:4-6 is teaching that the danger of falling away is not a "mythical danger." Does that contradict the divine preservation of the elect? "If we believe not, yet he abideth faithful: he cannot deny himself." (2 Tim. 2:13) Throughout the book of Hebrews, the author compares these Hebrew Christians to the children of Israel wandering in the wilderness. Doubtless there were many who died in the wilderness who were children of God notwithstanding all their sins and provocations. Numbers 14:39-41 records the children of Israel attempting to repent of their sin, but they had went too far. The Lord, because of Moses, did not destroy them, but he did chastise them. How do we know that God does not have a predetermined boundary that is inevitably and unavoidably followed by judgment due to sin at which point restoration is impossible and only judgment may be anticipated? What is the "sin unto death" (1 John 5:16)?

3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

This is the most credible alternative explanation I've read. I'll have to re-study Hebrews 6 to see if I can poke any other holes in it save this one: What about the part when the author says "but I am confident of better things about you - things pertaining to salvation"? Doesn't that imply the former discourse referred to things pertaining to non-salvation?

4. Primitive Baptist

npetreley,

Not necessarily. The writer of Hebrews may have been confident of better things from those Hebrew Christians because of their former Christian walk. Parents might tell their disobedient children that they were confident of better things from them because they were always well-behaved children. Do you see where I am coming from? My main objection to the "professors-not-possessors" view is the characteristics ascribed to those under consideration (vv. 4, 5). By no stretch of the imagination, IMHO, can those things ever be ascribed to unregenerate men.

5. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    No it does not --

#1. There are so many "IF YOU persevere firm until the end" statements in the NT that it is impossible to re-edit them all so they don't mean what they say.

#2. The text of 2 Tim 2 does not say "If we believe not - we are saved anyway" though that seems to be the revision needed.

#3. In Romans 3 we find the same thing "Though EVERY man be found a liar yet ...

though every man be found a liar, as it is written, "" THAT YOU MAY BE JUSTIFIED IN YOUR WORDS, AND PREVAIL WHEN YOU ARE JUDGED.''

This is not a promise that all liars go to heaven.

#4. Christ said "By their fruits you SHALL know them" -- as it turns out -- He was telling the truth.

#5. Paul gives a list about people "Doing" certain things in Romans 2 -- notice what happens to the ones in rebellion??

#6. In Matt 18 Christ gives the most explicit example of "forgiveness" revoked seen in all of scripture - aside from Ezek 18 that is.

Now -- there is a statement of truth my friend. I agree.

Rejection of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Christ supernaturally DRAWING all mankind -- if you choose to reject that you choose to reject the only connection you have to freedom.

In Christ,

Bob

6. UMP

UMP New Member

I picked number two. The first verse sets the tone and the purpose of the entire chapter. "Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentence from dead works, and of faith toward God," Notice the writer said "IF they shall fall away" instead of using the word "when". I think vs. 4-6 is hypothetical. If my son continues in his bad behavior, I cannot exchange or take him back for a new son. He was born my son and NOTHING can change that fact, ever. Perhaps this would be a good text to explain "time salvation"...and I'm from Cincinnati, imagine that :) (this is an inside Primitive Baptist joke :)

7. UMP

UMP New Member

I re-read the answers and must pick two options.
    #2 AND #3. I can't pick one without the other.

8. UMP

UMP New Member

John 6:37
    "All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out."

Apply John 6:37 to Hebrews 6: 4-6
    Once you come how can you be cast out ?

9. UMP

UMP New Member

Primitive Baptist writes:
    What is the "sin unto death" (1 John 5:16)?

UMP writes:
    I would say unbelief is the sin unto death.

10. Primitive Baptist

UMP,

Do you mean Cincinnati Primitive Baptist Church as in Elder Lasserre Bradley?

11. npetreley

npetreley New Member

I don't think that fits this context.

16 If anyone sees his brother sinning a sin which does not lead to death, he will ask, and He will give him life for those who commit sin not leading to death. There is sin leading to death. I do not say that he should pray about that. 17 All unrighteousness is sin, and there is sin not leading to death.

12. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    ALl the lost are currently choosing "not to believe" -- they have not committed the sin we are not to pray for.

It is not the same thing - else no one would ever get saved for in being lost to start with they would be guilty of the 1John 5 so for which we are not to pray.

In Christ,

Bob

13. UMP

UMP New Member

"Do you mean Cincinnati Primitive Baptist Church as in Elder Lasserre Bradley"

Yes.

14. Primitive Baptist

If you are a member of Cincinnati Primitive Baptist Church, then you do not believe in conditional time salvation, right?

15. UMP

UMP New Member

"If you are a member of Cincinnati Primitive Baptist Church, then you do not believe in conditional time salvation, right?"

Wrong, I think. I guess it depends on how you define it. Give me your definition, if you don't mind. On my end, let me give you my simple, yet probably weak analogy to the relationship I have with my son. He was born my son, nothing can change that fact. However, if he continually disobeys me, our relationship will not be what it could be. In fact, if need be, he will incur my wrath, yet still remain my son.

16. UMP

UMP New Member

17. Primitive Baptist

Amen. So...What's the REAL issue behind all the fuss?

18. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Primitive Baptist said
    The characteristics attributed to them could never be attributed to false professors.

And Bob Ryan said
    IF you say they were never born again - then you give too much credit and "Ability" to the totally depraved nature as if IT could escape the slavery of sin "for a while".

I think you are giving too much weight to the inability of the lost. Yes, of themselves they are unable to see spiritual things. But God can give them insight, insight that falls short of saving knowledge. The conviction the Holy spirit brings upon many sinners who go on to reject the gospel, is part of that.

Consider the parable of the Soils. Here we have remarkable effects caused by the Holy Spirit, yet only one sort of hearer is saved. So likewise, the Heb.6:4-8 hearer has much more of God's goodness revealed to him than to most other sinners, but his heart is not changed and so he eventually turns away. The joy evaporates under the heat, the God-ward response is choked off by the cares of the world.

In Him

Ian

19. BobRyan

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    Primitive Baptist said
    The characteristics attributed to them could never be attributed to false professors.

And Bob Ryan said
    IF you say they were never born again - then you give too much credit and "Ability" to the totally depraved nature as if IT could escape the slavery of sin "for a while".

I am not sure I ever expected a Calvinist to accuse an Arminian of such a thing.

Spiritual things are spiritually discerned - and "the Law is spiritual" Romans 7.

But more than that - the Heb 6 text says that they "ESCAPED" the corruption that is in the world. More than simply hearing about the offer of salvation - they actually "escaped" their doom.

On the contrary - 3 are saved -- 2 of the 3 are later lost. This is shown in the context of TD since 3 of the DEAD in fact COME to life -- SPRING TO LIFE -- but then 2 later die out.

This is simply devastating to your views.

However - IF "springing to life" is in the "Ability" of the totally depraved as you claim - then they can "save themselves". (Something even ARminians don't claim).

EVEN worse - you have the problem of Heb 6 and Luke 8 that they failed to REMAIN in that saved state as "the problem". However failing to be a totally depraved person (since you claim they were never saved) is NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Paul is NOT arguing for a "lesser hell".

In Christ,

Bob

20. Ian Major

Ian Major New Member

Bob Ryan said
    Spiritual things are spiritually discerned - and "the Law is spiritual" Romans 7.

And? Is the Holy Spirit not able to enlighten unsaved men as to the truth of the gospel? Men who will tremble under the certainty of it - but still not be saved, e.g. Felix.

But more than that - the Heb 6 text says that they "ESCAPED" the corruption that is in the world. More than simply hearing about the offer of salvation - they actually "escaped" their doom.

Exactly where is that verse? I can't find it.

On the contrary - 3 are saved -- 2 of the 3 are later lost. This is shown in the context of TD since 3 of the DEAD in fact COME to life -- SPRING TO LIFE -- but then 2 later die out.

This is your concept of TD, not Calvinism's. The parable reveals that the appearance of life in these lost ones was only a show, for only one sort received the word with a good heart. Receiving the word with a bad heart is not repentance and faith - it's just a desire for some of the good things salvation brings, but with the love of sin still supreme in one's heart.

However - IF "springing to life" is in the "Ability" of the totally depraved as you claim - then they can "save themselves". (Something even ARminians don't claim).

If 'sprang up' meant conversion in each case- but it does not. Profession does not equate with possession. Of all who profess, only some possess.

EVEN worse - you have the problem of Heb 6 and Luke 8 that they failed to REMAIN in that saved state as "the problem". However failing to be a totally depraved person (since you claim they were never saved) is NO PROBLEM AT ALL. Paul is NOT arguing for a "lesser hell".

The question is whether the Scripture is speaking of the 'saved state' or mere profession. The warning Hebrews gives is of the finality of apostasy - that those who receive such a great measure of enlightenment, if they walk away, are beyond the possibility of repentance. That is not true for the 'ordinary' sinner. The Hebrew readers were in that position of great privilege, and any who returned to Judaism would certainly be damned. That is the 'problem'.

In Him

Ian