1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hell in the Old Testament?

Discussion in 'Other Christian Denominations' started by TaliOrlando, Jul 2, 2009.

1. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Hello! :)

Do you believe Hell is eternal?

I believe it is but some are saying its not and I am wondering why?

2. FriendofSpurgeon

FriendofSpurgeon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Who are the "some" you are referring to?? The only ones that I am aware of are the 7th Day Adventists and Jehovah's Witnesses who believe in annihilation/destruction rather than eternal damnation.

3. TaliOrlando

TaliOrlando New Member

Well.. I have a Youtube Channel and there are many other Christian channels on there but most of them are false prophets. There is this guy sho isnt denying that there is a hell... but he says its not the image that we hear some preachers say that its satan with a pitchfork...

I have heard others say that its annihilation or destruction rather than eternal damnation and I dont agree with that either...

Like, in some bible translation they put in Hell instead of sheol or hades? Doesnt it mean the same thing?

Thanks for your help as I keep on learning my family in Christ!

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Satan is not in Hell with a pitchfork and I've only seen this in some Daffy Duck cartoon. Satan is running around like a roaring lion according to scripture. Satan will be in the lake of fire to be punished....not to be a ruler. Hell is like a jail cell or being on death row waiting for their final destination....the Lake of Fire.

5. billwald

billwald New Member

There is NO, Zero, theology of the next life in the Torah and nothing specific on the rest of the OT. People simply die and go to a dark place with their dead fathers.

6. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

Jesus speaks of hell 15 times in the gospels. 11 of those use the word:
    gheh'-en-nah
    Of Hebrew origin ([H1516] and [H2011]); valley of (the son of) Hinnom; gehenna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem, used (figuratively) as a name for the place (or state) of everlasting punishment: - hell.

The other 4 times He uses the word:
    ᾅδης
    hadēs
    hah'-dace
    From G1 (as a negative particle) and G1492; properly unseen, that is, “Hades” or the place (state) of departed souls: - grave, hell.

It is clear that Jesus taught that there is a place of eternal torment called hell.

7. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

What does this have to do with the Old Testament? Hell is indeed eternal...Jesus said it is.

8. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

This is correct. Sheol, sometimes translated Hell in the OT, refers to the place of the dead. That's all we know about it. The OT does not speak of a place of eternal punishment.

In Psalm 16:10 For thou wilt not leave my soul in hell; neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption is a Messianic prophecy. Some have sought to build a doctrine around this verse to the effect that Jesus went to Hell when he died. No. He went to Sheol, the place of the dead, and per the prophecy, did not stay there but rose from the dead. He did not escape hell. He escaped the grave.

9. Amy.G

Amy.G New Member

The OT does speak of hell in the sense of eternal torment.

Jesus quotes from Isaiah:
    Mark 9
    43And if thy hand offend thee, cut it off: it is better for thee to enter into life maimed, than having two hands to go into hell, into the fire that never shall be quenched:
    44Where their worm dieth not, and the fire is not quenched.

Isaiah 66
    24And they shall go forth, and look upon the carcases of the men that have transgressed against me: for their worm shall not die, neither shall their fire be quenched; and they shall be an abhorring unto all flesh.

10. Allan

Allan Active Member

Umm. Tom -this is not correct - as in 'the place of the dead' is all we know about it. Amy addresses one such OT passage which illistrates a negitive aspect for some of the dead. Their understanding as the 'place or abode of the dead' implies both a physical and spiritual aspect and not one or the other as some suggest. It was a place that the Jews saw having to places - one for God's people and another for the ungodly rebellious. Now the fact of first which is spoken of in eternal terms illstrates the second is just as eternal. However in the OT we do not see the later spoken of very much in an eternal type state (as we see in the New - which as we know the NT reveals what the OT spoke of). Unlike in the OT were we see being with Spoken of the most often in the NT Jesus speaks more about hell than He does about heaven. He gives us the story or parable of the Lazarus and the Rich man which illistrates the Jewish understand of the spiritual world in and of two distinct places for the dead.

Secondly - do a study not only on the word 'sheol' brother, but also 'hadies'. You will find that it to implies BOTH physical AND spiritual and not just one OR the other. If one is in sheol (the grave) the one is without question spiritual amoung the dead as well. There are both Greek and Hebrew words that means simply the grave and or tomb in which a body is placed, so the usage of these words shows a deeper aspect to be seen than just a physical one. Seriously - look into it. Some good quick references - A.T. Roberson and Vincent (sp?) word studies. Look even more so into others which delve more into the usage of the word and it's understanding. There is a thread on here somewhere where I go into somewhat depth (but not a great deal) on the words and their meanings with respect the physical and spiritual implications of their usages. I see if I can find them.

#10 Allan, Jul 3, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 3, 2009
  11. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Daniel 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

12. billwald

billwald New Member

The zillion people who left Egypt with Moses and died in the wilderness . . . did they all go to Hell or were some of them regenerate? Moses died in the wilderness and was obviously regenerate. Aaron died in the wilderness.

On the other hand, Aaron's sons, like Moses, sinned in the wilderness and died in the wilderness. Were they regenerate?

Annanias and Sophira sinned against the Holy Spirit and died. There is no indication that they went to hell. I've been going to church on an average of more than once a week for 60 years (maybe 3,000 times) and have never seen any person die in a church or on church property. Am I to conclude that no person in any of those congregations ever lied to the Holy Spirit in those 3000 meetings? I never lied to the Holy Spirit in those 3000 meetings? Do the rules for lying require that it be done in a church service for God to take immediate action or have the rules changed?

Considering that there might be 400 years from the end of the OT and another 40 years until any part of the NT was written, is the IP time specific to the OT? Is there a "No Testament" period? In other words, the OT rules ended when?

13. rbell

rbell Active Member

Why do you bother posting here? You don't believe the Bible. You ignore the words of Jesus. Why waste your time? Why waste our time?