1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hell or Hades?

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    The NT in English translations use different terms like "hell" or "hades", as well as "lake of fire" (which is the second death).

What's your thinking? Does throwing around the word "hell" instead of the more accurate "hades" or "gehenna" or "lake of fire" create problems?

A fellow emailed me today and said if an unsaved person died would he go to "hell". THAT word is creating havoc for me.

(p.s. He goes to hades to away the GWT Judgment, then to the Lake of Fire. But explain that?)

Like input!

2. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I think it depends on whom you're speaking with, Dr. Bob. The 'world' doesn't understand the Lake of Fire or Hades but Hell....... they understand or think they do.

Because of the veil over their eyes, we have to speak to them in terminology they'll understand. However, I tend to always use hell unless in a deep discussion.

Click here to view 'You're Going To Hell. com"

Came across that while searching one day. YIKES

Diane

3. ColoradoFB

ColoradoFB New Member

What a riot!! That is one crazy web site. But it does have catchy music!

4. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

A lost person does not like to hear the Truth. If you are lost and you die in your sins, you will go to HELL! I wish people would stop trying to sugar-coat what the Bible/God actually said.

5. BrianT

BrianT New Member

If you visit that site, you might notice the domain name has a grammar error in it. [​IMG] There is another site that was inspired by the mistake at this site, about the town of Hell, Norway and other Hell-related issues. [​IMG]

http://www.youregoingtohell.com/

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

You're right Brian! I just couldn't post it that way... so corrected it myself. [​IMG]

Diane

7. Terry_Herrington

Terry_Herrington New Member

dianetavegia,
    You should be a little more selective on what links you post. This site, "Your going to hell.com," would be a joke, if the subject matter were not so serious.

8. jubilant

jubilant New Member

[​IMG] in Luke 16:23 we read ....... And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom
    The rich man's body was in the grave and yet this scripture speaks of him lifting up his eyes and seeing Lazarus in Abraham's bosom. The next verse also speaks of his tongue and his thirst and physical torment in the flame. This man had his physical features and senses although he was without his physical body. Revelation 6:9 speaks about John seeing the "souls of them which were slain for the word of God."

Our soul mirrors our physical shape so closely that it is recognizable (1 Sam. 28:11-14; this rich man recognized Lazarus). Lazarus' soulish body had a "tip of his finger" (v. 24) and it is probable that his soulish body was an exact duplicate of his physical body in size and shape. It probably fit perfectly inside his physical body. This could be a possible explanation of why people with amputated limbs can still, at times, sense or feel their limbs which have been amputated.

Our soul has senses such as the ability to see, hear, taste, etc. It is this ability of the soul to see and hear to which Jesus referred so many times [​IMG]

9. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    But the issue, even from the story in Luke, is was the rich man actually in HELL?

No he wasn't. He was in hades and someday will be in what people "think of" as hell - the lake of fire. Thus the confusion already on this thread!

10. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

"Hell" and the "Lake of Fire" are two different places.

Revelation 20:12  And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.
    13  And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.
    14  And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.
    15  And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

When you die today without Christ, you go to "Hell." When the judgement occurs for everyone, those that are not found in the book of life will be cast into the "lake of fire."

11. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

I agree Dr. Bob and Homebound, but to the lost world there is just a Hell or no Hell. I wonder if Hades is where Catholics get the idea of purgatory.

Diane

12. AV Defender

AV Defender New Member

Are you saying is there is no such place as Hell?

13. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think what he is saying is that "hell" identifies with the "lake of fire," not with Hades, the holding place for souls to be judged at the Great White Throne judgement.

From what I have seen, though, I would say "Hell" is synonymous with "Hades," and the "Lake of Fire" stands by itself. This was just my understanding.

In practical application, it is all the same anyway, an eternity of torment and seperation from God.

Jason

14. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

Well answered Jason. Once you get to Hell or Hades, it's only a matter of time until you're cast into the Lake of Fire.... There's no more sacrifice or prayer that will remove you from that place of torment.

Diane

15. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

I think that is becuase you can't use an apostrophe as a part of a domain name. They got all the letters right (youre) but couldn't put the apostrophe in.

16. Refreshed

Refreshed Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Pastor Larry - The town website corrected the error of the original in the domain name. The original has "yourgoingtohell.com," while the town in Norway website correct that to "youregoingtohell.com."

It seems to me that this website is a Ruckman mirror site. Does anyone know who produced it?

Jason :D

17. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

Pastor Larry said:

I think that is becuase you can't use an apostrophe as a part of a domain name. They got all the letters right (youre) but couldn't put the apostrophe in.

The original site is "yourgoingtohell.com". It's the parody site Brian posted that has the domain "youregoingtohell.com" (and a snide remark at the end about English grammar).

Drifting more generally on topic, the site author is KJV-only and used to have one of my favourite, more ridiculous reasons not to use a modern version. He recounted a story about how a friend had ordered a pizza with chicken on it and gotten sick. The moral of the story: Tampering with the Bible (i.e. translating it) is the same as tampering with pizza (no doubt the author would add that if you do either, your going to HELL!!!).

As goofy as the site is, it fit perfectly . . .

18. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    IF one accepts that the temporary holding place of torment of the non-elect (hades) = HELL, then we have another problem.

Death and Hades will be cast into the Lake of Fire. So they will NOT spend eternity in Hell. They will spend it in the Lake of Fire (which is the second death, according to God'w Word)

My contention is that HELL = Lake of Fire, eternal destiny and abode of the non-elect.

19. RaptureReady

RaptureReady New Member

And my contention is that HELL is not the same place as Lake of Fire. Both are full of torment, but two different locations.

If you were to use a King James Bible, you would see that "hades" is the sissy form of "HELL." [​IMG] [​IMG]

20. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I DO use the KJV1769 revision, and that is part of the issue. Why did they opt to trade the perfectly good "hades" for an ambiguous "hell"?

And the MV's do it in a different way. They translate "gehenna" and "tartarus" as Hell, while maintaining Hades as separate. Problematic too.

So it is kinda like there is NO English version that is consistent in this.