1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hellenistic Jews

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Ben W, Aug 17, 2005.

1. Ben W

Ben W Active Member
    Site Supporter

I was always of the opinion that Hellenistic Jews were some type of Liberal Jews in the New Testament. Jews in other words that adopted Greek customes at the detriment of their own Judaism, yet after having a closer look, I am of the opinion that the Hellenistic Jews may well have been the most dedicated Jews of all the groups, including being over the Pharisees in their commitment to Judaism.

We find that in Acts 9:29 there is a conflict between Paul and the Hellenists - "And he spoke boldly in the name of the Lord Jesus and disputed against the Hellenists, but they attempted to kill him".

That is pretty strong stuff, a, to want to kill Paul, and b, to want to kill a Roman citizen. Which could have some serious consequences.

What I have discovered is that the Hellenistic Jews were those Jews that had been scattered some 300 years before the time of Christ in the Diaspora, they had settled in other places and had learned new languages yet retained their Judaism. Resultantly in the days of Jesus they had returned to Israel to be near to the Temple, yet were unable to speak the local Aramaic, so had their own synagogues.

Yet what occurs to me is that to leave everything behind and travel to Israel to live, they had to be very dedicated to Judaism.

One thing that I notice is on the day of Pentecost, these Hellenistic Jews are able to hear the toungues of their own languages - Acts 2:8

Resultantly from this it occurs to me that these Jews are not in any way Liberal, but very much if not more so commited to Judaism.

Interested in your thoughts! [​IMG]