1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello From Minnesota

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by InTheLight, Dec 28, 2010.

1. InTheLight

InTheLight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Just had my account activated and thus have the ability to post. I'll give you some quick tidbits about myself.

I'm a 52 year old business owner, married, with two boys, aged 13 and 10. (Hey, it took me a while to find the right woman, so I got a late start on the parenting gig.)

I was saved at age 13 and baptized about 5 months later. I was kind of rebellious in my college aged days, but God never left me.

My grandfather was a Lutheran pastor in Iowa and Minnesota. My kids attend an excellent WELS Lutheran school. We attend an IFB church which just started up last April, there is about 50-60 regular attendees. I've attended all kinds of evangelical churches, from small to mega sized, and been exposed to various worship styles. You could say that I still haven't found what I'm looking for.

I figure my first order of business is to reconcile the arguments involving election vs. free will, then tackle the Bible translation debates, contemporary vs. trad music, then leave this board, my work here finished. :laugh:

--Alan

2. glfredrick

glfredrick New Member

Good luck with that ... (seeing as how we Baptists don't really hold to "luck" as a scriptural position) :laugh:

Welcome aboard.

3. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Welcome to the board!

4. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Welcome to Baptist Board - I think you'll fit right in.

Oh and just a note, while we do have a 20 year old and an 18 year old, we also have a 10 year old and an almost 8 year old (on Friday she'll be 8) and my hubby is 50. So he's not much behind you. :)

5. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Hey Alan! Welcome!

6. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Shoot, Alan, we should have you outa here in a week or so.

7. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

You're 3 days late. I've already handle all those issues and everyone is now squared away on them.

:laugh:

:jesus:

8. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Welcome aboard!! :wavey:

9. Jon-Marc

Jon-Marc New Member

Welcome to the Baptist Board, Alan.

10. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    heheh, now why would you want to go and do that for? This place would be dull if it weren't for all that goin' on!

Welcome from KY. Do you walleye fish?

11. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I do. That's usually the main target when fishing. If we can't find them or they're not biting we will settle for crappies. I like to catch Northern Pike also. They put up a good fight and if you know how to fillet them they are good eating. I'm not a big bass fisherman.

12. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cool. I couldn't imagine living in Minnestoa and NOT fishing for walleye. Heheh, 'settle for crappies', that's prime fare down here (but so is flathead catfish). I've been to Erie several times and it always tickles me to watch the natives there happily switch from catching 10-14 lb walleye to 1-2 lb yellow perch when they come in season. They say the walleye are a lot more work to catch and the perch taste better. I can't tell the difference in them. You all have those 'cold water bluegill' up there too, don't you? I fish for those too.

13. InTheLight

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Next to muskies I'd say walleyes are the hardest fish to catch here in Minnesota. However, I once went on a guided fishing launch on Lake Mille Lacs, a giant lake in the center of the state. There were about 20 people on the boat. It went out about an hour and a half from shore, parked in 38 feet of water (38 feet!) and for the next 2 hours someone was catching 6 - 10 lb. walleyes about once every 3 or 4 minutes. People were laughing and yelling "fish on!" as the boat operators went around unhooking fish, quickly measuring them and releasing them. (They have a slot limit on the lake for walleye, I think it was 16" - 19", meaning you could only keep walleye in that size range. No one was catching them that small.) It was the craziest fishing trip I've ever been on. I caught seven walleye, the largest was 29 inches. They told me that was about 9 lbs.

Those 1 lb. perch are real good eating. I think the daily limit is 20 (used to be 100) whereas you can only keep 6 walleye. I can't taste the difference between them either. After a while of catching no walleyes, a foot-long perch looks pretty good. Whenever I catch a decent sized perch my mind envisions it already in a frying pan.

We've got bluegills up here, up the wazoo that is. It's tough to find good sized ones. Their population overruns a lot of lakes. They're very tasty when you can get good sized ones.

14. kyredneck

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Walleye are hard to catch here too, but we do get into their cousins, sauger, at a dam about 10 miles upstream from here; they taste as good as walleye to me. There are some big muskie here but I've never caught one (never tried, too much work, too time consuming), besides they're boney. The bluegill we pursue in the early Spring to eat then later we bait trot & limb lines for flatheads and channels. We also stumble upon White, Largemouth, Smallmouth, and Kentucky Bass, and Crappie while R&R for bait bluegills.

15. Arbo

Arbo Active Member
    Site Supporter

Inthelight- Having just recently come aboard here, I've found people pleasant and the posts interesting. Hope your experience is as good as mine.