1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hello from Scotland!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Scottish Baptist, Aug 26, 2012.

1. Scottish Baptist

Scottish Baptist New Member

Hello, thought I'd introduce myself here :smilewinkgrin:

I'm from Edinburgh, I've been a baptist all my life, and looking forward to contributing to this forum and meetin gother baptists from around the world :)

2. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Welcome to the board!

3. ktn4eg

ktn4eg New Member

Welcome aboard!! :wavey:
    ----------------------------

From near Edinburgh ye say, m' lad?

Based on what I've been told (mixed in w' a bit of Scottish legend no doubt!...), there are traces of my family's Scottish heritage back as far as the early 1300's.

As the story goes, Robert the Bruce finally came to his Scottish senses and took up the mantle of fighting for Scotland's independence from those mean old English from the deep south of the isle of Great Britain some time after the execution of Wlliam Wallace ("Braveheart").

But Bruce's claim to the royal throne of Scotland was not uncontested.

In fact, one of his major rivals called for a....shall we say..."meeting of the minds" between him and Robert the Bruce to settle the issue of whose claim to the Scottish throne was the MOST valid.

Well....things got nasty very quickly and, what may have started out as a discussion rapidly turned into a sword fight, with Bruce seriously injuring (but not KILLING) this rival.

Bruce's rival quickly fled to the horns of the altar in Greyfriar's Abbey (located in SW Scotland not too far from Edinburgh; in fact, it's very close to where the infamous Lockerbie plane crash occured back in the 1980's).

Bruce speculated out loud to his principal aide-de-camp (who bore my family's surname) whether or not his rival was truly dead or not.

His aide-de-camp came up with a sure-fire solution to make sure by boldly entering the altar area of Greyfriar's Abbey and, post haste, dispatching Bruce's rival to the realm of the beyond!!

Because of this incident, one will see above the crest of my family's coat of arms an armored hand holding a bloody dagger over which are inscribed my family's motto: "I Mak Sikker!" (translation = "I'll Make Sure!")!!

With that major rival out of the way, Robert the Bruce was then free to devote his time and efforts in rallying the Scots against the English.

In AD 1314, Bruce and the Scots finally defeated the English at the Battle of Bannockburn; thus (at least for a couple hundred years anyway) the Scots were freed from the shackles of those dastardly Englishmen!! :thumbs:
    -----------------------------
    How's that for a good Scottish tale of yore?!!? :smilewinkgrin:

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Cead Mile Failte from across the Irish Sea in County Kildare.

Love Scotland and love the Edinburgh area. We are blessed with a Scottish daughter (in-law) from the Stirling area.

Welcome to the BB.

5. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Welcome from me, too. I had the privilege of spending a week in Scotland several years ago, playing some of your famous golf courses. We drove near Edinburgh on the way to Carnoustie and St. Andrews.

And my wife's ggggrandfather was from Edinburgh, born 1701

See, I can drop names with the best of them.

6. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

Welcome to BB...

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome....do I now have a local connection for single blend malt? My wifes Scots relatives insist on that when they visit.....personally agree with them.

8. Ryan.Samples

Ryan.Samples New Member

It is always wonderful to have the opportunity to interact with brothers and sisters from around the world. Welcome to the board!

9. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Welcome to the Board. I have a good friend who is a Baptist pastor in Edinburgh.

10. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

Greetings from England :wavey: