1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HELP - Children's Christmas play needed

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by NaasPreacher (C4K), Sep 25, 2005.

1. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

We have our annual Kids Klub play coming up. We need something pretty simple, with few decorations and simple (if any) costumes.

Age 5-12
    About 20 kids
    Most of them are not saved and not in church
    5-6 major speaking parts and maybe a few minor ones
    Simple songs

Any ideas? I have looked at a few sites and found a few things, but would love it if anybody here has anything you have used and would work for us.

2. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

One of the most successful Christmas plays at our church was done in silhouette behind a white screen/sheet. The only person actually visible was a teen who was sat at a writing table writing and narrating the Christmas story which was enacted in stages behind the screen. I think the different stages or acts were divided by the singing of appropiate carols.

3. following-Him

following-Him Active Member

4. NaasPreacher (C4K)

5. TexasSky

TexasSky Guest

One of the more affective ones we used involved combining the old with the new.

Scene opened with a group of kids talking about what they were doing for Christmas. Most of it was chatter about the secular things - gifts, food. Two kids stay quiet.

A chatter-box asks one of the two, "What are you going to do at Christmas?" He mumbles a non-commital answer along the lines, of "You know, same thing as every year."

They ask the other quiet kid. He/she tells a very different story. Talks about going to a midnight Christmas prayer and praise service where they sing happy birthday to Jesus even though it isn't really the day he was born, but the day we celebrate his brith. He talks about helping his pparents deliver Christmas baskets to the poor, and working the Kingdom's Kitchen for lunch, and his friends moan and he tells them no, that he loves it, that it makes him feel better about all the blessings he has to see how much people appreciate the little things they have.

He talks about going home with family and reading the bible story -

Some of the others groan with comments like, "You like that stuff?" The kid gets excited, and starts telling the bible story with the enthusiasm it deserves. Exactly how you word this is more determined by the gender of the kids. I actually prefer to have kids help me write this part of it so that the words will see fresh to their generation, as opposed to sounding like a parent's version. I encourage them to make it "exciting".

Usually I end up with something from the guys like, "Yeah man! Its cool! Joseph could have stoned Mary 'cause she was engaged to him and all, but he doesn't want to, and this angel shows up and tells him its all cool. And Mary, she's just this girl. She's not rich or a princess. She's just a girl, and this angel tells her she is gonna have a baby and that its the Messiah, the one who is going to save everybody, because we all screw up and we should all die. Then the wisemen see it in the sky, and they come, and ole Herod wants to kill the baby so he tries to trick the wisemen, but they're wise, you know. So they sneak off." If the girl's tell it, its usually more along the lines of, "Mary isn't even scared! Joseph might leave her or kill her, but she isn't even scared, and then she goes all that way, on a donkey, and they tell her she has to sleep out in a barn!"

Then, whichever, kid tells it, they pause, and then add, "But the best parts are that its true, and that it all happened for me! And for you! I mean, God is.. GOD. He can do anything! And we break his rules, and we ignore him, and we sin, and He just keeps on loving us, and he sends Jesus to live like us, and then Jesus dies for all of us! That's the coolest part of the story."

One of the kids looks at a watch, says, "We're gonna be late," and they hop up and dart off - all but the two quiet ones. The quietest one says, "Thank you for not telling them that I eat at the kitchen." The kid who has been a Christian makes some friendly gesture (hug or whatever, again, I leave that up to the kids) and says, "You shouldn't be ashamed! Remember, Jesus Christ, the son of God, the King of Kings was born in a stable, and died on the cross for you. That makes you pretty special. Hey, you wanna help me with the kitchen this year?"

The second kid says, "Yeah, but tell me more about this Jesus."

And then the first kid reads, straight out of God's word, the bible story, and then one the other children re-enters and reads "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." Another enters and reads John 3:16, and they continue in that fashion until they've "walked/read" the Roman road.

Then the pastor takes it back over.

6. dianetavegia

dianetavegia Guest

The Donut Man had a Christimas video of children preparing for their Christmas program. Each child was to bring a gift for the 'baby Jesus'. One brought a compass and explained why. One brought a diaper and rattle. One brought a soccer ball and one had no money so had made a heart card. The children sang the usual Christmas songs and then it was time for the wise men and others to bring their presents to put under the tree and little Katy, who'd made the card, runs off stage, upset that her present isn't as 'good' as everyone elses. The Donut Man goes to talk to her and during the conversation, she explains that she didn't have money for a fancy or store bought gift but she wanted to give Jesus her heart.

Very touching story that you and Mary might use as a guide. The children just wore regular clothes, wise men type clothes or angel costumes. I think the crowns were spray painted Burger King crowns.

Diane Tavegia

7. Pete

Pete New Member

Mum and I have done my Christmas puppet show a couple of times. One puppet thinks Christmas is about Santa Claus and toys and chips and games and Santa Claus and lollies and toys and munchies and chips and toys and lollies and gimmegimmegimmegimmeiwantiwantiwantiwantgimme gimmegimmegimme......The other puppet explains the real meaning of Christmas to him.

Last year in Church I did something different...I just read parts of a few of the worst stories in the newspaper that day, then had the kids lined up on stage with scripts explaining the Gospel, reading a line each.... (oops, don't think that one would work for "Most of them are not saved and not in church" crowd though...)

8. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the help. Keep 'em comong folks [​IMG] .

9. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hi, C4K.

Here is a Christmas play we did some years ago. We did it with puppets, but I'm sure it could be done with real people too. Also, it was originally written in Japanese for an audience who knew nothing about Christ, so you may want to adapt it to your culture.

I guess this means I'm putting the play into public domain. So be it! I have no desire to profit from it, but if anyone on this forum can use it, great.

God bless.

John of Japan

Grandpa Truth's Christmas

A Christmas Play
    By John R. Himes

(Note: this play was originally written for puppets, but can be easily done with actors)

Cast of Characters

Grandpa Truth: A very interesting old man. Since he always tells the truth, he has earned the nickname "Grandpa Truth."
    The children (as many as you want): These are Grandpa's grandchildren. They are elementary school age, and full of energy and questions.
    The Innkeeper: Because of Caesar's census, he is very busy. He has no patience, but he does have a kindly heart.
    Joseph: This is Mary's new husband. He is going through many new experiences right now, and so his heart is unsettled. However, he is a manly man of faith, and takes full responsibility for his new family.
    Mary and the Baby Jesus: Joseph's very young wife. She faces bearing her child in a strange place far from home, but she is trusting in God and her husband.
    The Shepherds: They are uneducated, but they are wisely trusting in God.
    The Two Sheep: They think humans are strange, because humans are surprised by the work of God.
    The Angels of Heaven: They have been sent to announce the birth of Jesus to the Shepherds, and to honor and praise the Savior.

Scene 1
    Setting--The stage is dark. A voice is heard reading Luke 2:1-20. Then, a spotlight comes up slowly to show an average 21st century room. Grandpa Truth is sitting, snoring. The children enter with lots of noise, and then wake Grandpa up.

Children: Yeah, yippee, yahoo! Grandpa, wake up, wake up.
    Grandpa: What? Huh? What's going on? Is it an earthquake, fire, hurricane?
    Girl: Nope. We just have an important question, Grandpa. We want to know something right now!
    Boy: Yeah, right now! Tell us right now, Grandpa!
    Grandpa: Whoa, kids. You're being rude. Settle down, settle down. Okay, what's your big question?
    The children settle down and look serious.
    Boy: Grandpa, please tell us. What is Christmas all about? Is it Santa's birthday?
    Girl: Please tell us, Grandpa. We really want to know. You're Grandpa Truth, so we know you'll tell us the truth.
    Grandpa: Ho, ho, ho. You think maybe Christmas is Santa's birthday, do you? Ho, ho, ho!
    The children all laugh.
    Girl: Grandpa laughs just like Santa, doesn't he everyone?
    The children all laugh and agree.
    Grandpa: Nope, Christmas is the birthday of a much greater person than Santa, kids. Here is how the story goes.
    The children all sit on the floor and listen carefully.
    Grandpa: A long time ago, a young man and wife went on a long trip. According to what it says in God's Word, "And it came to pass in those days, that there went out a decree from Caesar Augustus, that all the world should be taxed. (And this taxing was first made when Cyrenius was governor of Syria.) And all went to be taxed, every one into his own city. And Joseph also went up from Galilee, out of the city of Nazareth, into Judaea, unto the city of David, which is called Bethlehem; (because he was of the house and lineage of David:) To be taxed with Mary his espoused wife, being great with child." (Luke 2:1-5)

Scene 2
    The setting is 1st century Israel. A tired Mary and Joseph are walking along. If possible, Mary should be on a donkey. However, this is merely tradition, and is not in the Bible, so feel free to have here walking. On stage right is the door to the inn.

Mary: Joseph, I'm very tired. Will we find a place to stay soon?
    Joseph: I'm so sorry, Mary. I know you are tired. Since the angel Gabriel came nine months ago and told you that you would bear the Son of God, so much has happened to you. Then Emperor Augustus gave the command to be registered, so we've had to make this long trip to my home town, Bethlehem.
    Mary: Oh, it has been hard, Joseph. But it's been hard for you, too. You've walked over 100 kilometers (60 miles) from our home in Nazareth.
    Joseph: Anyway, we are finally nearing Bethlehem. Oh, look, isn't that an inn?
    Mary: Wonderful, Joseph! We can finally rest. I'm sure God has prepared a wonderful room for us here.
    Joseph and Mary arrive at the inn and knock on the door.
    Joseph: Excuse me, is anyone there? We'd like a room.
    Innkeeper (voice from inside the inn): Not again. Busy, busy, busy. (With a louder voice.) Hang on, I'll be right there. (The door opens.) What do you want? If it's a room, forget it! We're all full up.
    Joseph (very surprised): What? No rooms? Oh, no. (Joseph is extremely discouraged.)
    Innkeeper (Sharply.): Hey, I told you we're full, and we're full! Thanks to Emperor Augustus, we're packed out.
    Joseph: But my wife....
    Innkeeper: Wait a minute here, the lady's pregnant. Sorry I was a bit sharp there.
    Joseph: Do you really not have a single empty room? The baby is due to be born any day, so we'll take anything you've got. If it's money, I'll pay anything you ask.
    Innkeeper: Really. Hmm. (Thinks deeply. Then answers doubtfully.) Well there is just one room that might possibly do. It's not really a regular room, though, you see. But, it might work for you.
    Mary: We'll take anything. Just help us please.
    Innkeeper: Well it's the stable. It might smell a little (laughs), but at least it's warm. It's better than sleeping outdoors! Come with me around back with me. Hey, and I'll throw in your meals free!
    Joseph and Mary (still a little disappointed): Thank you.
    As they walk to the back of the inn,
    Joseph (laughing): So, the wonderful room God has prepared for us is a stable!
    Mary (laughing): Well, I'll be with my sweet husband, and God will take care of us! I don't care. If God has prepared it for us it's a great room!
    They both disappear around back of the inn.
    Grandpa Truth's voice (as the lights fade): And so it was, that, while they were there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered. And she brought forth her firstborn son, and wrapped him in swaddling clothes, and laid him in a manger; because there was no room for them in the inn.

Scene 3
    The setting is outdoors in a field. The sheep are grazing. We hear Grandpa Truth's voice again, then two sheep begin to speak. You can give the sheep names if you like: Snowball, Cotton, etc.

Grandpa Truth's Voice: And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. (Luke 2:8)
    The spotlight comes up on the two sheep.
    Snowball (a sheep): Hey, did you hear?
    Cotton (a sheep): Hear what?
    Snowball: God's Son is gonna be born.
    Cotton: Really? That's great! But how come God's Son is gonna be born?
    Snowball: To save humans. 'Cause humans are bad, you see.
    Cotton: Well isn't that true! But do the humans know that God's Son is coming?
    Snowball: I don't think so. Look, our shepherds look as dumb as ever! (The sheep laugh.)
    Cotton: Yep. Why, if they knew God's Son would be born, they'd be all happy, wouldn't they?
    Snowball: They all ought to know, though, right?
    Cotton: Yeah, it would be great if someone told our shepherds.
    Snowball: It sure would.
    The sheep continue grazing. The spotlight comes up on the shepherds.
    Shepherd #1: The stars are sure pretty tonight, aren't they? It's a quiet night, too. It's at times like this that I really feel the presence of God.
    Shepherd #2: Yep. But what do you think? Could the Son of God, who we're waiting for, be born on a night like tonight? According to a prophecy in the Bible, He will be born at Bethlehem, right close to here.
    Shepherd #1: Really? Wow, you really know the Bible. Hey, if that's true, it would be great if He could even be born tonight, wouldn't it?
    Suddenly, An angels appears in the sky. The shepherds are amazed, and look up.
    Grandpa Truth's Voice: And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them: (Luke 2:9-10)
    Angel #1: Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. (Luke 2:10-12)
    Many angels appear, and sing praise to God.
    Angels: Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:14)
    All the angels disappear.
    Shepherd #1: Let us now go even unto Bethlehem, and see this thing which is come to pass, which the Lord hath made known unto us. (Luke 2:15 )
    Shepherd #2: Let's go right now!
    The shepherds leave in a big hurry.
    Snowball: They're gone! Wow!
    Cotton: And they didn't even say byebye!
    Snowball: That's okay, though. They finally heard about the Son of God.
    Cotton: Yep. That's good.
    The sheep resume grazing.

Scene 4
    This takes place in the stable. Joseph and Mary are next to the Baby Jesus in His manger. Mary is singing to the Baby.
    Grandpa Truth's Voice: And they came with haste, and found Mary, and Joseph, and the babe lying in a manger. (Luke 2:16 )
    The shepherds enter the stable.
    Shepherd #1: Excuse me. We heard from angels that God's Son has been born. We came here searching for Him.
    Shepherd #2: Yep, that's why we're here.
    The shepherds bow in worship of the Baby Jesus
    Mary: Why, how wonderful! Joseph, we have our first guests. Do you think there is spiritual meaning in this? Didn't the prophet Isaiah say something about this?
    Joseph: Yes, Mary. Isaiah says in the Bible, "He shall feed his flock like a shepherd: he shall gather the lambs with his arm, and carry them in his bosom, and shall gently lead those that are with young." (Isaiah 40:11) Isaiah taught that God's Son will gently lead us like a shepherd cares for his sheep.
    Shepherd #1: Pardon me, but we'd like to give something to the Baby.
    Joseph: Why of course. That would be nice.
    The shepherds give presents, and the spotlight fades.

Scene 5
    Scene 5 takes place back in the 21st century room. Grandpa Truth is talking to the children. The children are sitting and listening intently

Grandpa: "And when they had seen it, they made known abroad the saying which was told them concerning this child. And all they that heard it wondered at those things which were told them by the shepherds. But Mary kept all these things, and pondered them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all the things that they had heard and seen, as it was told unto them. (Luke 2:17)
    Boy: So, Grandpa, Christmas is the birthday of Jesus Christ, isn't it!
    Girl: Yeah, I see. Wow! But when the Baby Jesus grew up, what happened to Him?
    Boy: Yeah, what happened?
    Grandpa: Well, well, that's another story. That's the story of the special day called Easter.
    Girl: Huh? What is Easter? Please tell us that story, too, Grandpa.
    Grandpa: Well, when Jesus grew up, he was killed by bad people. But He really died so that He could forgive the bad things we do. Christ died in our place to take the punishment for the bad things of all the people in the world. Then He came back to life. We call that His resurrection. We celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus with the holiday called Easter.
    All the Children: Wow! That's really something!
    Boy: But Grandpa, how can we have our bad things forgiven. It sounds hard.
    Grandpa: Nope, it's simple. All you have to do is believe in Jesus Christ. Hey, why don't you all pray with me? You can each have your sins, your bad things, forgiven. Bow your heads and close your eyes, and let's pray to Jesus Christ.
    The Children bow their heads. Grandpa speaks to the audience.
    Grandpa: Everyone, why don't you bow your heads and close your eyes, too? Please pray with me. "Dear Jesus Christ. Thank you for Christmas. Please forgive my sins. I believe in You. Amen."
    The lights fade.

THE END

10. NaasPreacher (C4K)

Thanks for the help John!

I think we came up with something, but are ALWAYS looking for ideas - we get stuck every year. Will for sure file this one.

This is exactly the kind of thing we are looking for.

We are filing all of these. Thanks to everyone. My very first BB post two years ago was asking for help with the play as well. It will be great to have a supply of them.

Roger