1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help! Explain these conflicts, please.

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by jprieto, Apr 28, 2012.

1. jprieto

jprieto New Member

2 Samuel 8:4 says 700
    1 Chronicles 18:4 says 7,000
    why the conflict?

2 Samuel 10:18 says 40,000 horsemen
    1 Chronicles 19:18 says 40,000 footmen
    why the conflict?

2 Kings 24:8 says 18 years old
    2 Chronicles 36:9 says 8 years old
    why the conflict?

And worse of all.....

2 Samuel 24:1 GOD told David to number Israel
    1 Chronicles 21:1 Satan told David to number Israel
    Was it God or Satan? Why the conflict?

2 Samuel 6:23 Michal had NEVER has a child
    2 Samuel 21:8 Michale had 5 sons
    uh.... why the conflict?

Well, guys YouTube is being asked these challenging questions
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozTcY_w45us

Therefore, I know many here are very knowledgeable in Biblical studies ... and as a fellow brother in Christ, I come humbly asking to help me explain these concerns (conflicts) to others ..... and to myself.

Thanks

:tonofbricks:

#1 jprieto, Apr 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2012
  2. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Valid question. Did she have children or did she not?

It says she didn't have biological children of her own. 2 Samuel 6:23 says so.

So - what about this verse? 2 Samuel 21:8 "But the king took the two sons of Rizpah the daughter of Aiah, whom she bare unto Saul, Armoni and Mephibosheth; and the five sons of Michal the daughter of Saul, whom she brought up for Adriel the son of Barzillai the Meholathite:"

Could be a King James Version copyist error. I checked on biblegateway.com and the NIV, the Holman, the Message (only a paraphrase), and the Amplified Bible all say "Merab". That was her sister that was supposed to have married David, but didn't.

Could be something else. What about the man, Adriel, that she "brought them up" for? Oddly enough, this is her brother-in-law - Merab's husband.

1 Samuel 18:19 - "But it came to pass at the time when Merab Saul's daughter should have been given to David, that she was given unto Adriel the Meholathite to wife."

The Hebrew word for "brought up" is יָלַד (yä·lad'). It has two general meanings - to physically give birth to and to be a midwife for.

Either Michal is the correct word and she helped her sister bring these children into the the world or else Merab is the correct word and she, herself, bore the children and Michal raised them or helped raise them.

Don't bother arguing with non-believers who present these contradictions. They do not desire logic nor the truth. Their only wish is to trap Christians.