1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

HELP! In Excel

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by thjplgvp, Oct 27, 2006.

1. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

I feel like an idiot this morning / afternoon. I want to add 3 numbers take their total and divide it by a set number for an average.

Hypothetically let us say the numbers are 500, 1234, 3600 and I want to divide these numbers by 82

Cell 1 =500 Cell 2 =1234 and Cell 3 = 3600 this total divided by 82 total to show up Cell 6

Culd someone submit the formula before I try to beat the answer out of my computer? :BangHead:

Thjplgvp

2. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Cell 6=(Cell1+Cell2+Cell4)/82

Or, depending on how the numbers are laid out: A4= (A1+A2+A3)/82

(There are simpler ways to do this to allow insertion of additional numbers -- using the SUM function -- but this general formula should work.)

3. thjplgvp

thjplgvp Member

RSR

Thank you so much. I was trying to put sum, avg, etc in front of the formula and that is where I was goofing.

Thjplgvp

4. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

I always love it when someone uses excel to put together a spread sheet and they don't use formulas, they just use a calculator and plug the numbers in manually.:tongue3:

5. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    The SUM command does indeed work beautifully, and it allows you to add lots of data without having to reset all the cells manually.

The example for the case listed above is: =SUM(A1:A3)/82

If you insert additional numbers into the column, you can just adjust the parameters for the series - a1:a3, for example, to a1:a60 - without having to manually enter all the additional cells into the formula.

#5 rsr, Oct 27, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2006
  6. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    At least the numbers look pretty ...