1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help in praying Bible verses back to God.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by mr. messy, Mar 4, 2005.

1. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Today, on 3-4-2005, I printed out and used Psalm 8, for example, Psalms 8:1-9 KJVA
    (1) "<To the chief Musician upon Gittith, A Psalm of David.> O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth! who hast set thy glory above the heavens.
    (2) Out of the mouth of babes and sucklings hast thou ordained strength because of thine enemies, that thou mightest still the enemy and the avenger.
    (3) When I consider thy heavens, the work of thy fingers, the moon and the stars, which thou hast ordained;
    (4) What is man, that thou art mindful of him? and the son of man, that thou visitest him?
    (5) For thou hast made him a little lower than the angels, and hast crowned him with glory and honour.
    (6) Thou madest him to have dominion over the works of thy hands; thou hast put all things under his feet:
    (7) All sheep and oxen, yea, and the beasts of the field;
    (8) The fowl of the air, and the fish of the sea, and whatsoever passeth through the paths of the seas.
    (9) O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!"

I tried paying it back to God, for myself, my wife, my children and grandchildren, friends, pastors.

Some Scriptures seem to be easier to use than other sections.

I am also looking for Bible promises to claim in prayer for various needs;
    *salvation, *Health and healing *protection *deliverance from addictions
    *wisdom *personal integrity
    *family relations

2. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

mr. messy, again, I hit the wrong button.

Oh, how about Bible verses for a person to wait and to be sensitive to what God is trying to say to me or to you. I need help in this area too.
    I need help in other areas too. Thanks, Mr. Messy

3. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

I don't know where you got this idea, but I think you ought to use your own words. In this way it will come from YOUR heart and I think God hears/honors those prayers more than just reciting Scripture back to Him.
    After all, if you think about it, would YOU want someone you love to recite your love letters back to you OR would you like to hear what is in their heart?

In HIS service;
    Jim

4. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Mr. Messy, where did you get this idea of "praying back Bible verses to God" from? I don't think it's a bad idea, but I agree with av1611jim that you should pray with your own words.

Maybe you are a new believer or are not sure how to pray? In that case, you can use prayers in the Bible or some of the Psalms as guides, but eventually you should pray in your own words.

Also, just praying these things is not a formula that will get the result you think you should have. It's all in God's hands. The point of prayer is to change us, and to cause us to be more dependent on the Lord.

5. hsmom3

hsmom3 New Member

I am not Mr. Messy, but the first I heard of this was from Beth Moore, which was taught in our Sunday School class this fall and winter. I'm not sure if I agree with it or not. [​IMG]

hsmom3

6. Marcia

Marcia Active Member

Thanks for the info. I guess some might find it helpful but I would be more encouraged by people digging into the word and really learning it, instead of using it for some kind of formulaic thing.

7. mr. messy

mr. messy New Member

Help me to be more practical in my praying.

I feel that I need to bring God into the situation. Joseph in the book of Genesis did that when he refused to yield to sexual temptation of his boss' wife.

When I pray for my son who is alcoholic, when I pray for my wife for protection, when I pray for my Senior pastor for wisdom, for his wife and children, and for his integrity,

...then I want to base my requests on Scripture, not on my own ideas. There is nothing wrong with reminding God of His promises to believers.

...I tend to run out of thoughts and words of my own, when I am praying for.

Again, I need to keep it "simple" for me being a messy and yet passionate as Elijah as found in James 5:16, 17.

Can I learn and benefit from others? Yes, of course. Thanks, Mr. Messy

8. PastorSBC1303

PastorSBC1303 Active Member

Praying Scripture can be very beneficial to your spiritual walk....Dr. Don Whitney, professor at Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary has some excellent resources available at http://www.spiritualdisciplines.org/

9. Kiffen

Kiffen Member

The Book of Psalms are prayers and in Acts 4 the Church of Jerusalem prays in unison a modified version of Psalms 2. So it is very Biblical to pray Scripture.

10. JackRUS

JackRUS New Member