1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help me interior decorate :)

Discussion in 'Women's Fellowship Forum' started by Spinach, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Last year we bought our first home, a village house in Eastern Europe. It was what you would definitely call a "fixer upper".

It has taken a lot of time and patience, but we are finally getting some rooms finished. Now I have to come up with a color scheme in the family room. I have a couch in mind that is beige (or maybe camel) with blue accent pillows. There will be varying colors of blue in pillows.

All I need now is a wall color. This is where y'all come in. I'd love some suggestions!

TIA!

2. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I'm looking to do a chamois color in my family room. We have a full wall brick fireplace on one wall and I think the warm tan/yellow would look great with it. Right now our couches are green but we're hoping to get new ones soon.

3. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

Well, my favorite wall color is still Williamsburg Blue - but it is sooooo not "IN" ;0

Last time I had to paint I got a couple of great colors. One was called warm sand or something like that. The other was close but it had a greenish fleck in it.

4. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Your blue and brown color scheme sounds really pretty!

I would go with a shade or two darker than the couch. Browns are very chic right now! I'd keep the blue as an accent.

Be sure and post a picture for us! :)

5. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Mine, too! In fact, my Master Bedroom is painted this color. I don't really want to change it, tho, cause I like it! LOL

6. mcdirector

mcdirector Active Member

My MB too - and the living room. My two favorite rooms. I kept them my favorite color when I repainted that summer.

mmmm I may have to lay down just thinking about that project . . .

7. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Thanks for all the suggestions!

The kitchen/dining area are adjoining the family room, with an arch between, in traditional village fashion. The kitchen will be done in a soft brown, with a coffee/cappuccino theme. I don't see any reason why not to carry that color straight through the arch and into the family room, through the arch. In my mind, it looks lovely.

Now, a further question----what color would I paint the ceilings. By the end of next week, they will be bright white plaster. I don't think the bright white would look so nice with a soft brown. An off white or cream, perhaps?

8. donnA

donnA Active Member

A rich neutral will always work, no matter what colors you chose for the room accessories. If you paint the living room the same color as the kitchen/dining room, it visually becomes one large room(even if you have obvious entry ways, like that arch). Look at some slightly different colors, a deeper brown, a golden brown/beige or a light soft golden. That way your still in the same color family and it all blends without looking like it's one room.
    For the ceiling, what color is the wood trim in the room, like around doors and windows? Would be beautiful in a cream, if you don't like a stark white. Some shade of white/off white would set off the wall color you've chosen, look very rich. You can't really go wrong with some sort of white or off white ceiling and trim.

#8 donnA, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  9. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Hmmm. I don't know about the trim (or lack thereof). The windows will be white pvc. The floor will be wood (oak color). The floor around the woodstove will be a rock-like tile. On the walls around the woodstove will be rock.

I suppose with the white windows, a white ceiling wouldn't be bad.

Thanks!

10. donnA

donnA Active Member

White would work, just depends on if you want to have to look it, if it feels glaring to you, do a slightly off white. What color are you tiles. Sound slike rich neutrals, like the one you've chosen will work well, give a uniform look.
    There are places on the internet you interact with chosing room colors and combinations, you chose the colors it shows you. I'll try and find one.

#10 donnA, Dec 12, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  11. donnA

donnA Active Member

12. Spinach

Spinach New Member

rich neutrals sums it up pretty well. The tiles/rocks are a light brown, with cream, beige, and even a hit of yellow in them (at least that's how they look in my mind. The room is still a shell---until the end of next week).

I NEED colors that hide childrens' hand and feet prints. My kids seem to think it's a wonderful haha to leave a foot print on the wall. "Look, Ma, that's how big my feet are!" OY! I made the mistake of an off-white wall in the boys' room, do I don't want to make that mistake again.

13. Gwen

Gwen Active Member

Yep. I'd go with brown. :laugh:

I've got boys, too, so I know exactly what you are talking about! :wavey:

14. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

The walls should be a light milky brown and the ceiling should be chocolate brown. Yes, I'm telling you to make the ceiling darker than the walls. The trim should be the same blue color that's in the pillows.

Be brave, it will look nice. If you don't believe me, go get some paint swatches in those colors, form them into the shape of a room, (being sure to cut out the blue trim and put it around and to put the colors of your couch and pillows on the floor of your "room") and check out how it looks.

15. Spinach

Spinach New Member

Perhaps I haven't fully introduced myself...

Hello, Everyone! I'm Spinach. I'm a big chicken! LOL!!!

It does sound nice, but I'm afraid I'm not bold enough. I will give it some thought, though.

16. donnA

donnA Active Member

My thought on colors on the wall is that now your locked into a color scheme. If you sue rich neutrals then you accent with any color, get tired of the color easy to change, unless it's on your walls.
    Dark ceiling will bring a ceiling closer, makes a room look smaller, so you need high ceilings or a large room.

17. Gina B

Gina B Active Member

Isn't it every woman's dream to have an entire room dedicated to different types of chocolate? :laugh: Come on, let me live vicariously through you!

Here's a picture of chocolatey looking walls: http://www.thriftyfun.com/images/articles/paperbag2-480.jpg

Here's another one, but with light ceilings: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images...om furniture set in brown leather finish_.jpg

Brown and blue together: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2210/2044088721_e5756c297d.jpg

(is it working yet?)

18. Elnora

Elnora New Member

Actually dark color recedes in the case of a dark ceiling, provided the walls are light. My sister did a room in purple shades, light on the walls and dark on the ceiling, and trimmed it in white because the ceilings were low. Doing it this way got the desired result. The ceilings look higher.