1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help on the Alexandrian Diatribe

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by Dr. Bob, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    AA and other "only" sect keep making a barrage of snide attacks at the Alexandrian/Egyptian documents.

I think it is racially motivated as well simply parroting a plethora of WRONG information.

Eastern Orthodox documents are good
    Western Orthodox documents are evil

Now we know that the Western documents do NOT reflect the AV1611. But is that the only basis for the vitriol?

I personally LIKE it. BTW, it had nothing to do with "Alexandria" in Egypt. Think monastery in the Sinai where God miraculously preserved it. That's closer to Jerusalem than Cairo! Or the Vaticanus, again preserved when most of the old Greek documents were being discarded for the Latin.

Looking for information on WHY the hatred. Thanks.

2. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Dr. Bob, could it be that the Alex mss "aint the docs from which the KJB was made"?

3. Askjo

Askjo New Member

CT men focus on how men picked their favorite apographs where modern versions were based.

TR men focus on how God preserved His Words in accurate apographs where the KJV, the Tindale Bibles and other accurate Bibles prior to the KJV were based.

4. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Askjo, BY WHOSE AUTHORITY do YOU choose what you think GOD picked?

Did not Jesus die for the people of Alexandria also? Did not the great preacher Apollos come from Alexandria? Evidently he received the true word of God while there; he had to be taught about Jesus, but before that, according to Scripture, he was a great preacher of the truth of the O.T. Could Apollos have been behind the Alex NT mss, at least to some degree?

The TR was revised many times. If it was so accurate, why all the revisions? Which one is perfect?

5. skanwmatos

skanwmatos New Member

Those who prefer the Critical Text over the Traditional Text are simply working from a different list of a priori assumptions.

Those who prefer the Critical Text accept, for the most part, the assumptions of Greisbach as modified by Westcott and Hort:
    Those who prefer the Traditional Texts most often accept the assumptions of other textual critics such as Hills, Scrivener, and Burgon:
    It should not be startling that we arrive at different conclusions seeing that we begin with different a priori assumptions. [​IMG]

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Right you are, Skan. The problem is deciding who's right. I have faith in GOD to guide me since this is a matter beyond my capacity to correctly deduce on my own. I've said all along that God has "dif'rent strokes for dif'rent folks", and to try to limit Him to just one course is wrong. I believe God did not choose to preserve the original human writings of His word for other reasons besides His knowing that some nut would make icons of them and WORSHIP them.

The New-Age-Liberals and the ultra-conservatives are both wrong. It was GOD who created diversity among people, and it was GOD who met the needs of the various diverse groups He created.