1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help with Html File. Internet Explorer, Changing Icon.

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by JourneytoEndure, Nov 22, 2003.

1. JourneytoEndure

JourneytoEndure New Member

Hi there, I have a question on how to change the Icon on 1 html file of internet explorer in a folder that shares other html files? I know you can right click it and change it easily under properties and locating the icon and that's it but I am having a problem. I am Zipping up a lot of files and when it is downloaded the icon I made does not appear on other computers? How can I make an html file Icon stay similar to items on your desktop after I zip? It's a weird question but it will help many.

Thanks.

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's actually a lot harder than you think.

You see, the computer determines the association. In other words, on your computer, you change the association of the file type (.html, for example) to be represented by a certain icon.

On someone else's computer, however, that association is represented by that computer's default icon.

Off the top of my head, what you might try is:
    create or copy an icon file
    rename your particular file with a different extension (i.e., .htmp instead of .html)
    associate the file with the particular icon
    include the icon file in the zip file

Now, the problem will occur when someone tries to open that file for the first time. Windows will pop up the little "Open Using" window, asking which program they want to use to open the unidentified file extension. If they choose Internet Explorer, and check the box for "Always use this", then they shouldn't have any problems after that.

Not the most elegant solution; but the only other one I can think of involves some programming....

3. JourneytoEndure

JourneytoEndure New Member

Thanks for your quick post! I decided just to convert the html files to a .exe file. That way the icon will stay. It's basically a .exe file/program I will be giving for free. I was actually trying to make it where it was something that could be downloaded on another computer online and still have everything exact and working. It is now good in the .exe format. Again, Thanks a lot. (even though I had a different change. Everytime I post for help here I end up getting something better trying new stuff.