1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Help!

Discussion in 'Computers & Technology Forum' started by Hope of Glory, Jul 27, 2007.

1. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

My internet keeps coming and going, with it crawling at some times. It isn't a problem with anything that is obvious, as the signal is good, cables are good, etc.

My computer keeps trying to find a different wireless signal.

It only happens when my son is on the other computer, but up until he went to football camp, this was not a problem.

What can I look for? Any ideas? Or, is this too broad?

2. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Did he take the other computer with him to football camp?

Or did he possibly change something before he went to football camp?

Need you to go to My Network Places, click on View Network Connections, then right-click on "Wireless Network Connections" and choose Properties.

In the new window, click on the Wireless Networks tab. About halfway down, you should see Preferred Networks. Find your router, and make sure it's the primary. If you're not planning on moving the computer for a while, you should remove all the other connections (if there are any).

I'm just thinking out loud, but if I understand your post correctly, you have 2 computers, and the second one is acting buggy, which is possibly making your primary computer act buggy. So what I'm thinking is, the 2nd computer is a laptop that your son took to football camp, where he possibly connected to a different network, or even a computer-to-computer network for gaming. It's a stretch, but it's possible that if it's trying to establish a computer-to-computer network with your primary computer, that's why your internet isn't connecting properly.

That, or you need to delete some temporary internet files, and do a system clean up.

3. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

There are actually 3 computers hooked up to the router, and the computer that he's on has been idle while at camp. (They worked them so hard that all they did was work out and sleep. Of course, part of the workout was fun, like the swimming, but was mandatory.)

He's on my wife's screen name now, and it's still doing it. I was trying to make a post in another category, and it couldn't find the page. I looked down, and I was disconnected, and it would not connect itself; I had to do it manually.

One odd thing about it is that it keeps trying to connect itself to the airport's public connection, and it did not do this at all while my son was at camp.

Oh, and my laptop is the primary computer.

I think his return is just coincidental, but I'm not sure because it's odd that it would start immediately upon his return.

A diagnostics shows that nothing is wrong.

Edited to add: My wife was on that computer without this prolem the entire time he was gone, and when it started, he didn't seem to be doing anything out of the ordinary. I mean, we're sitting here watching the whole times he's on the computer.

#3 Hope of Glory, Jul 28, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2007
  4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

OK, I don't know why this started when my son returned home, other than coincidence.

But, now, any time the other computer is on, the internet on this one comes and goes. I just spent about half an hour trying to get it to reconnect, and as soon as I shut the other one down, this one came back on.

It didn't do this before. It would be slow if we were both (or all 3) doing something at the same time, but no problems. Now, they have to be off or disconnected for this one to work.

Could it just be that my router is going bad, and it happened at the exact time that he came home?

5. exscentric

exscentric Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Try resetting modem and router maybe?

6. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

Have you ever gotten a message saying there is an IP Conflict in your network?

Go to the "Run" command (Start>Run)

Type in "CMD"

One the little black window pops up, just type in "ipconfig" and press enter.

Look at the IP address, and it should say something like,

.etc

This isn't your "IP adress" that you don't tell other people, but just your local address which identifies your own computer on your network.

Check all the applicable computers, and make sure none of them are the same IP address. :type:

7. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

I would vote for resetting the modem and router if you haven't tried that.

Just unplug everything for a minute with your computer off. Plug the modem back in and let it reset and then when it is done plug the router back in.

This should take care of the issue. If not you may try uninstalling and re-installing everything to create your network fresh to see if that helps.

But with all that being said I have had to purchase a new router. About a year or so ago I tried everything and could not get my network to work properly, even with the help of some "computer" friends that have forgotten more than I will ever know.

So I bought a new one and we've been working fine the whole time since. And I've only had to reset this one once during that period.

Hope that helps.

8. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Reset the modem and router.

That comment ("it keeps trying to connect to the airport public connection") tells me you need to check your wireless networks (method in my first response). Either remove that network (unless you use it regularly), or change the priority.

9. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

If it's a Linksys router, try a hard reset (unplug, and plug back in).

Sometimes Linksys routers begin to mess up after several GB of bandwidth has passed through them.

10. J. Jump

J. Jump New Member

Yeah that's what I have now and I've had to reset it once in about a year and a half if memory serves me correctly on how long I've had it.

I had Netgear before that and before I replaced it I was having to reset it several times a day :(.

11. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

We're 99% sure that we have figured it out. After resetting the router (it's a D-Link, BTW), everything worked just fine, until...

My son noticed that it was when he signed onto Windows Messenger. When mine would sign back on, his would sign off. He turned off the WM, no more problems.

I know that MS was charged with intentionally interfering with other software a while back, so I wonder if this might be similar? They don't have to share their code, but intentionally interfering is a crime, so they had to change some stuff.