1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heresy and Hogwash

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by pinoybaptist, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

Actually, the first time I read it, it was with an anti calvinist free will prsuposition.

I have stated before and I will probably have to state it again but I resisted calvinist doctrine for a long time. But it is simply what the Bible teaches.

What a relief when I finally gave in and believed the Bible for what it actually says.

2. EdSutton

EdSutton New Member

I would like to say that I've seen some wonderful appeals to Scripture on the Baptist Board in the last few days, over several threads - perhaps as good as any appeals I've seen in two years, here.

Definitely some of the best Biblical eisegesis I've ever seen, in over 40 years. :rolleyes:

Ed

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

I hear this quite often. I believe it is the Holy Spirit that is fighting it. Funny how this testimony is so prevalent amongst calvinists. I, on the other hand was quite intrigued by it initially.

4. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

I am sure that we could fine interesting testimonies on both sides of the debate. But testimonies do not validate or invalidate a doctrine. Only the Bible does.
    Election and predestination to salvation are too often repeated throughout scripture to ignore or explain away as meaning something else.

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...as are the passages telling man to choose...telling us point blank that God so loved the world...that He doesnt' wish anyone to perish but all to come to repentance, etc. I see your side trying to explain these away quite regularly.

6. standingfirminChrist

webdog,

ya gotta remember... we're mindless puppets on a string that have no mind of our own. God is a cruel God who is not true love, for He chooses who He wants to give eternal life to (not based on faith in Christ, but on election). He has ordained people like me who chose to serve Him to go to hell after my life is over because I chose Him rather than He choosing me.

Joshua did not really mean "Choose ye this day whom ye would serve," what he actually meant was 'You have been chosen by God so there is no use fighting it.'

Funny, my Bible must've been written prior to the Calvinistic Bibles, cuz it don't say what they say it should.

7. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The gentleman who calls himself standing firm in Christ did not call me a heretic. Yet, that is.
    Somebody else calling himself a pastor said that, in the same thread.
    He simply referred to what I stated as somebody else's statement, in another thread, which I also happen to believe, hogwash.
    I don't think that is a very nice way of trying to convince somebody of an opposite persuasion.

**Insult removed**

I do hope mr. standing firm in Christ is able to back up his eisegesis (thank you for supplying the word, though I don't know who you were referring to) of 2 Peter.

If he does his homework well, and shows that verse 9 (?) of chapter 3, indeed refers to all mankind with dots well connected from chapter 1, then perhaps I shall change the word eisegesis to exegesis and will admit my error.

The challenge stands.

In the meantime, the bed calls, and my muscles ache.
    I am now up to 40 lbs, 3 sets, and 12 reps on the dumbell inclined fly and my bypass scar is slightly sore.

Goodnight, gentlemen.

You all sleep well and rested in God's arms.

#27 pinoybaptist, Mar 21, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2008
  8. standingfirminChrist

I already did my homework and handed it in to a higher authority than pinoy and passed the grade 100%.

Maybe you did not turn your homework in to the right authority?

9. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I just finished editing my post to say good night to everybody, you included, and saw this your latest post.

I would say your above response is typical of those unable to back up their arrogance to others, when discussing doctrine, with Scripture: avoid the issue. Duck the challenge. tuck the tail.

oh, well....good night, anyway.

10. standingfirminChrist

Arrogance? Ever hear of a mirror?

11. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

**Insult removed** You are wrong becuase your theology doesn't match up with scripture.

Why are you unable to accept his challenge and show your position from scripture?

BTW, when was this divine test taken that showed your had perfect theology?

If you are so sure, please show us, from scripture.

#31 Dale-c, Mar 21, 2008
  12. standingfirminChrist

**Insult removed**

I already showed the Scripture, it was rejected. Figgers.

#32 standingfirminChrist, Mar 21, 2008
  13. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

SFIC, please explain this verse.

BTW, I do not deny the fact that man has a responsibility to repent. That is a strawman on your part. Please stick to what calvinists really believe and not the caricature that anti-calvinists paint.

14. Dale-c

Dale-c Active Member

No, your interpretation was rejected. All scripture must be taken in full.
    Not one verse have you posted that proves that natural man is capable os choosing God on his own. sure you can show the command. But you can not show the ability.

15. J.D.

J.D. Active Member
    Site Supporter

Check my facts on this, but I believe that the Bible Presbyterians had a large faction who followed the teachings of Carl McIntyre who was an outright dispensationalist as opposed to Covenantal. That may be what they meant by "not reformed". But the Bible Presbyteriens eventually voted to reject dispy and embrace tradition reformed views of of Covenant Theology.

16. standingfirminChrist

Dale,

I will not dialogue with you anymore on the subject of man's free will. It is over your head.

Apparently Joshua did not mean "choose ye this day whom ye will serve."

As I said, you must have an entirely different Bible than me.

17. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

Will it really make a difference? This has been exegeted over and over again since I've been on the BB. Do a search...

18. Pastor_Bob

Pastor_Bob Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    First, you are mistaken; I did not refer to your belief as "hogwash." I merely referred to your statement (to the effect that Jesus bore only the sins of the elect) as heresy. It is a very dangerous false doctrine, in my opinion.

All you have to offer is human reasoning. You have no biblical basis to say that "the whole world" actually means "the elect." The word "world" in 1 John 2:2 is the same word "world" used in John 17:9, "I pray for them: I pray not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are thine." How can "the world" refer to the elect in one verse and not another? The fact is - it cannot.

19. standingfirminChrist

Amen, Pastor Bob!

Just as 'all' means 'all', 'whole' means 'whole', and 'whosoever' means 'whosoever'.

:godisgood::thumbs:

btw, I am the one that called the teaching that Christ died only for the elect and not for the whole world hogwash. I stand by that statement.

20. standingfirminChrist

pinoy has no right to question your position as pastor either. It is God who called you to that position, not pinoy