1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heresy

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by Cutter, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. npetreley

npetreley New Member

Teaching about a future millennial reign of Christ, and even calling it a kingdom, is not heresy. Even I believe that much is Biblical.

Teaching that you must be saved by good works in order to enter this kingdom (otherwise you will suffer for 1,000 years in hell or wherever that particular ME guy says we go), introduces another gospel of salvation, and one by works. That's why kingdom teaching is not heresy, but kingdom salvation/ME teaching is heresy.

2. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

Well that's progress. All we are effectively arguing about then is, what does "outer darkness", "cut asunder", "his portion with the unbelievers" and "unprofitable servant" mean and where is the place where there is "weeping and gnashing of teeth".

"The lord of that servant will come in a day when he looketh not for him, and at an hour when he is not aware, and will cut him in sunder, and will appoint him his portion with the unbelievers." - Luke 12:46

"But the children of the kingdom shall be cast out into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 8:12

"And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless. Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. For many are called, but few are chosen." - Matthew 22:12-14

"And cast ye the unprofitable servant into outer darkness: there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth." - Matthew 25:30

3. James_Newman

James_Newman New Member

Well, Schoettle is not a close personal friend of mine, but he has come to our church a number of times and did also attend our Kingdom conference two years back. He maintains a list of churches on his web site that teach kingdom accountability (to whatever degree they may teach it and I don't think the list is current) and this is what his website says:

http://www.schoettlepublishing.com/local.htm

I certainly wouldn't be trying to drive a wedge between you and Schoettle, rather I would suggest you go to him and ask him about these things and see what he says.

4. Hope of Glory

Hope of Glory New Member

I can't speak to the others, but Ironside is one of the first places where I read this, many, many years ago. Although I haven't read any of his books in probably 20 years, he certainly did teach that outer darkness was a thread for saved individuals.

5. TCGreek

TCGreek New Member

What are you going to be next?

6. Rufus_1611

Rufus_1611 New Member

At the supper table in a few minutes.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    We try NOT to use the word "heresy" as a rule on the BB. We've let this thread go a couple days and appreciate the ideas and opinions.

Starting to label individual posters as "heretics" is not where this should go.

Remember, an Arminian will call a Calvinist a "heretic". One who believes the "only" teaching will call a user of the NIV a "heretic". Covenanters will call Dispies thus, as will pre/mid/post tribbers label others. Young Earth v evolutionists will begin to "label", as will those who pour or sprinkle v immerse (and those immersing 3 times forward would have the right then to call those 1 time backward immersionists by that name, too).

So think the point is obvious.

And the thread is over. The use of "heretic" in titles/labels will be nipped in the bud from this point on.

You bunch of heretics . . :BangHead:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.