1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Heretics should be murdered!

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by matt wade, Nov 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. preacher4truth

preacher4truth Active Member

Too late you've already made judgment. On him and others who agree with him.

2. plain_n_simple

plain_n_simple Active Member

1. John Calvin is not the Calvinist's "leader." He was a great expositor of the Scripture, but not a perfect person. What? What kind of silliness is this? Of couse he is the leader. Stop that.

2. I'm not going to go into much detail, but we are speaking of a totally different culture. Do you or the others here believe in the death penalty? I don't agree with it at all, but we just have to understand it wasn't 2011A totaly different culture? Who cares about culture? Jesus said love your enemies and bless them no matter the culture.

#22 plain_n_simple, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  3. Herald

Herald New Member

I believe in the DoG (or better yet, I believe it is what the bible teaches). John Calvin is not my leader. R.C. Sproul is not my leader. John MacArthur is not my leader. Augustine of Hippo is not my leader. Any believer in the DoG who follows a man is misguided. The term "Calvinism" was placed on those who hold to the DoG because Calvin, like it or not, wrote and taught eloquently on the subject. That's about as far as it goes. As a Baptist I disagree with Calvin on ecclesiology, baptism, church polity, theonomy and the role of the magistrate etc.

Those who want to drag Calvin through the mud, have at it. The man is dead, so I don't think he cares very much; and since I don't follow him I don't care either.

4. ashleysdad

ashleysdad Member

Actually this is NOT at all what Luke said or implied. You have a propensity for misquoting posters and trying to twist their words. Isn't that kind of like bearing false witness?

5. Winman

Winman Active Member

The "times" is no excuse, the scriptures tell how heretics should be dealt with.

Tit 3:10 A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject.

No where does the scriptures command us to execute heretics, and Calvin knew this. He had no excuse for his actions.

6. plain_n_simple

Why can't we just stick to the bible and throw out this Calvin guy and his teachings since it has obviously split people?

7. Tom Bryant

Tom Bryant Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're right. All great Christian leaders are a product of the times they live. It doesn't excuse their actions, but it does explain. The reformers were fighting a huge battle about salvation and Scripture. In any battle, you cannot correct everything that is wrong about the system you are trying to change. You work on the major issues.

Should it have happened? Absolutely not. But Calvinists don't blindly follow Calvin. Anymore than you or I follow any theologian we study and basically agree with.

8. bacustic

bacustic New Member

why can't we just stick to the Bible and throw out baptists? that should help.

#28 bacustic, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2011
  9. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

plain_n_simple I apologize for laughing at your post. (When I read it had the mental image of the little green men landing and saying "Take me to your leader") But as Herald explained quite well here, those who embrace the DOG don't necessary follow Calvin or worship him as some people think. I've been on this board for a little over a year, and within the past year have embraced "Calvinism/DOG/Reformed Theology", but honestly other than a few quotes here or there I've never read any of his works.

10. plain_n_simple

Okay! Why have any labels?

11. Winman

Winman Active Member

Calvin was a product of Augustine and the RCC, but primarily Augustine.

Augustine was hardly Pauline, he was a product of his Gnostic and Manichean roots, as many scholars have written.

12. Iconoclast

Iconoclast Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Non Baptist Christian
    :thumbs:
    Exactly....this whole line of reasoning is an attempt to dismiss the biblical teaching.

13. plain_n_simple

All I know is this Calvin guy sounds pretty scary no matter how slick he sounds. The devil is bible smart and sounds slick too. A man can be seen as how much Jesus comes through. Jesus did not murder unbelievers, He even said He would not judge them while on earth. Calvin is dismissed. Next.

14. Tom Butler

Tom Butler New Member

Well, brother, we caught ya.

Welcome to the Baptist Board, by the way. We're glad to have you, but the rules say Presbyterians can't post in the Baptist-only sections.

Baptist, by the way, is spelled with a capital-B.

We Baptists love to fight among ourselves. It throws us off when a Presby sneaks in and starts firing at both sides. Messes with our minds.

15. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    As you apparently missed, I did not give an excuse for his actions. I gave a reason--a reason which doesn't excuse his actions.

Regardless of Calvin's agreement or disagreement with the penalty for Servetus, it was not, ultimately, Calvin that put him to death, it was the state. The entire episode clearly illustrates the need for a separation between church and state.

Obviously, you have never read the Old Testament.

The Archangel

16. Winman

Winman Active Member

Oh, so you think we are under Moses' laws? You believe we should stone heretics?

Titus 3:10 tells us to reject or have nothing to do with heretics, not execute them. Where did Paul or any of the apostles execute a heretic?

17. plain_n_simple

God spoke through the law and the prophets until John the Baptist, Since then the Kingdom is preached.

18. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

So was Calvin orthodox in his teaching to murder heretics?

19. The Archangel

The Archangel Well-Known Member

Faith:
    Baptist
    I never said I think we're under the Law of Moses. As a Calvinist and Reformed Theologian, I do not subscribe to Covenant Theology. I am more connected with New Covenant Theology.

No, I was responding to your ill-though-out statement:

Now, either this is a misguided, ill-though-out statement or you think the Old Testament isn't scripture. Being the fair guy that I am, I think you just goofed and didn't think your statement through. And since you didn't think your statement through, you should be willing to admit as much (and you could do so without losing face).

As I've already stated, I think Calvin was wrong to support the execution.

The Archangel

20. matt wade

matt wade Well-Known Member

I quoted exactly what Luke2427 (Rick) said. I'll quote it again:

"I don't think in our culture that burning them at the stake or beheading them is the answer."

He specifically said in our culture. If he were completely against murdering heretics we wouldn't see the qualifier of in our culture. As I pointed out when he originally posted the quote, he had to hedge his answer to make sure he didn't inadvertadely condemn his idol John Calvin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.