1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Heritage or Hate?

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Zaac, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Crabtownboy

Crabtownboy Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not at all. You are simply being extremely dishonest.

The pyramids are not offensive to me. I have never heard anyone say they are offensive. Are you offended by the pyramids?

I have heard people say the Confederate battle flag is offensive ... lot of people.

It was the KKK who adopted the flag first and they certainly committed many offensive acts. Do you agree?

As I suggested, go ask some African-Americans in your area ... I realize there are not a lot in NM ... but you can find them ... see what their response is. OK?

2. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So was much of this country. Why are you not opposed or offended by that heritage?

3. Revmitchell

Revmitchell Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist

Please provide clear expository evidence of this accusation.

The reason what is being called the Confederate Flag is being called offensive is that it is wrongly being accused of being connected to slavery. The Pyramids are without any doubt connected to slavery. It is inconsistent, therefore, to be offended by one and not the other.

Ok but there are political agenda's not genuine offense.

Their flag is the American flag and no it was not the KKK who adopted it first.

They are not the standard for whether this is right or wrong.

4. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I am not offended by the flag, this country, or the pyramids. Slavery does not make those things good or bad. Only political agenda'a try to make them as such.

If you are offended by the Confederate Flag due to slavery why are you not offended by the pyramids for the same reason?

5. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

More deflection because you can't factually dispute what he said.

Your false equivalency of the pyramids and the flag have nothing to do with the conversation at hand.

If you want to go ask the descendants of the Hebrews who were enslaved by the Egyptians if they find the pyramids offensive, then you'd have a point.

As the pyramids are not in the US and have nothing to do with the history of slavery and racism in the US, it's a false equivalency and a very weak deflection coming from you.

#25 Zaac, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2015
  6. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    It is not a false equivalency of Crabby is going to bring into the conversation the Spanish and the British flags.

Also by what standard does our outrage need to be kept to American examples only? Who decided that?

Personally, I do not care about that flag. I do not care if it stays or goes. The arguments against it are about demonizing people to create a false narrative. That is where my offense to the whole thing comes in.

7. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

His equivalency is correct as he is speaking to an American citizen about other heritage flags.

What do the pyramids in Egypt have to do with American heritage? Are American citizens trying to fly the pyramids over here?

We're talking about a flag as hate or heritage in AMERICA for AMERICANS. You are being intellectually dishonest.

Nobody is demonizing anyone so again, stop with the deflection. Your real offense is in you thinking black folks cry race too much. So shame the devil and say it like that instead of all this round the bush deflecting with stuff that's irrelevant to the conversation.

The flag that folks are calling Confederate State heritage isn't a Confederate flag. It's popular now because of what the KKK and white supremacists did with it in response to integration. That's why it was on the Georgia flag.

This is what the South Carolina secession flag looks like:

[​IMG]

So why was the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia flying over the statehouse? Historians have noted for the same reason it was added to the Georgia flag. It was raised at the University of Mississippi for the same reason.

You and a whole lot of other folks just have to find innocuous reasons to be against anything Blacks mention in association with race because yall are scared to really address it.

#27 Zaac, Jul 9, 2015
  8. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Exactly how many people must consider a symbol "offensive" to ban it? Many people do consider "old glory" offensive, but it still flies officially at government buildings. So, let's have the numbers.... how many people, or what fraction of people, must consider a symbol offensive to ban it officially (if not privately, the next target)?

9. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So by your standard the conversation has to only consist of flags? Who said that is the standard and any deviation from that is intellectually dishonest?

10. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Everything in the OP, the words and the graphics, is about Confederate flags. That is what says the conversation is about flags. The title, Heritage or Hate, is a question about the flags. So, it is the flags.

I ask again, as you are from Florida and now live in the Southwest ... all of which belonged to Spain at one time ... why don't you fly the Spanish flag. That is very much a part of your heritage. Look at the word, New Mexico. Why not fly the Mexican flag in New Mexico as that is a definite part of the heritage of that state?

11. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    At a place called Six Flags Over Texas they do fly the flags of France, Spain, Mexico, Republic of Texas, the Confederacy, and the USA. Is there anything you see wrong with that?

12. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Exactly how many must consider it non-offensive to keep it? When you get a number, feel free to share it.

The sad thing is that you and others know it's offensive and why it's offensive but take the stance you do because you're "offended" at black people associating race with in y'all's words, "everything".

And thus any time they express that something has a racial aspect to it, some of you get offended and have to find a reason to go against what they say.

It's the same thing yall do with the President.

13. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

By my standard, a relevant comparison would be something in the United States that's offensive to a demographic in the United States because of what it represents to people in the United States.

So start flying a Muslim flag at Ground Zero in NYC and see if you can comprehend.

So stop with this foolishness. As I said, both you and I know the real reasons why you and others have to find a reason to be against anything Blacks say about race.

14. Crabtownboy

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    But not the battle flag associated with the KKK, bigotry, prejudice and hatred.

15. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Private property. They can fly it if they want just like you can fly the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia in front of your house.

[​IMG]

And the flag of the Army of Northern Virginia IS NOT one of the flags they fly. So they ARE flying the flag in a heritage perspective as it IS the flag of their heritage. The other is NOT as no smart business owner wants to be associated with being in support of the KKK and white supremacists who started flying this flag in the South to express their discontent about integration.

#35 Zaac, Jul 9, 2015
  16. Revmitchell

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Ok I have made an attempt to speak at your level. I have spoken to you in a civil manner. This is how you respond. I will leave you to your unbiblical hatred and uncivil discourse. It is now noted.

17. revmwc

revmwc Well-Known Member

We as Christian needs to show outrage at the Rainbow flag and insist it has become a symbol of abomination and hatred toward Christians. We need stand firm and have the Flag taken down.

18. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There is nothing unBiblical or uncivil about recognizing why people feel about certain things the way that they do.

You should just man enough and Christian enough to admit it.

19. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

If you mean like Christians did when the White House was bathed in the rainbow flag, I agree. And we should likewise oppose that flag being flown over any public property lest they also agree to put up Crosses.

20. Alcott

Alcott Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you make the charge, then you supply evidence to back it up.

Again, many people are offended by Old Glory. Just how many would need to be so for that one to be banned on public building?
    [/QUOTE]