1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hermeneutics and the Baptist denomination

Discussion in '2003 Archive' started by ScottEmerson, Jul 16, 2003.

1. ScottEmerson

ScottEmerson Active Member

Okay, so this may get under some people's skin, but here it goes:

"Many read the Scripture simply to reinforce their current beliefs. Although they read the whole Bible, their mind only sees certain doctrines. Instead of believing what they read, they merely read what they already believe. The same way the Jews were "...baptized into Moses," so Christians are often baptized into their denomination. When they are fully indoctrinated, their minds have been immersed into a pool of teaching that leaves them more conformed to the image of their sect than into the likeness of Christ."

-- Francis Frangipane, Holiness, Truth, and the Presence of God

Comments?
    ------

And this one is for free:

"If our faith does not leave us somewhat bewildered and perplexed than we have domesticated Him, and we no longer believe in God, but in an intellectual system. Beware that you do not handle holy things and hear holy things so much that your hands and ears are cauterized and you no longer are burned and jolted by what you touch and hear."

- Ben Patterson, Waiting

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

I generally agree with those statements. We are all subject to bias to one degree or another, and we should try to minimize those biases.

In *general*, I've found that people who have never had a different view of a particular subject have stronger opinions and vocalizations (because they don't want to be "wrong"), while those who have switched their view on a particular subject have stronger arguments (because they more clearly understand both sides). Of course, there are exceptions to this generalization, but it is often true.

3. DanielFive

DanielFive New Member

This is probably true with regards to a lot of people who have grown up in Christian homes. It would obviously be easy just to believe what your parents believed without ever feeling a need to search the scriptures for an alternative.

Personally, I grew up in a Catholic home and having rejected the 'teaching of men' I tend to look at both sides of an argument before making up my mind .

I'm very cautious about accepting the views of anyone, regardless of how much respect I have for that person. I appreciate that we are able to search the Scriptures as individuals and come to our own conclusions.

I suppose when you've been led up a blind alley once, you are naturally cautious about the same thing happening again.

I like to debate with others who hold opposing views (as Scott knows) and I have learned a lot about the strengths and weaknesses of my own beliefs through having to look at things from anothers viewpoint.

4. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

That is the reason why I have friends who don't always agree with me. People wil dialog with you if you are open to that and don't atrempt to belittle them.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    After I was through with ifb bible college, I thought my positions were set in stone and I would interpret everything in light of my understanding.

Then when I finished grad school . .

And when I was ordained . .

And now after 30 MORE years since ordination, I am still learning.

But I am starting to see the Bible in light of my positions. I am becoming more tolerant (don't laugh) of divergent views that are still within the pale of orthodox christianity.

I am actually thankful to the time I can spend on the BB because it keeps my brain sharp. Can you imagine how bad I'd be without it? :rolleyes: