1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Herschel Hobbs??

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by Thousand Hills, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Thousand Hills

Thousand Hills Active Member

Before my time, but trying to study up on SBC History and was wondering about Mr. Hobbs. From what I have read:

- Essentially the pastor of the first SBC "Mega-church"
    -Admittedly not confessional but worked on the 63 BF&M (which I understand is more liberal)
    -Probably from all accounts only a 1-Pointer
    -Big emphasis on Soul Competency

Would it be safe to say that he was influential in the environment that later required the Conservative Resurgence? What about his commentaries/writings have you used them, would you recommend them?

2. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I think your perception of Dr Hobbs is askew. Having known Dr Hobbs during his life, though unfortunately at the later point, I might be a bit given to understanding him charitably, but I think your points above are misunderstandings.

Herschell Hobbs is the quintessential Southern Baptist. He deeply understood proper Southern Baptist theology that arose from our history as being a biblically grounded people. Dr Hobbs was a singularly important leader of Southern Baptist before the Resurgence and was accepted by almost all leaders in the Resurgence.

The 1963 BFM is a strong document that is lash to the anchor of Scripture. It is a profoundly evangelical and certainly conservative document. Frankly, it is better than the 2000 imho. One church where I served early in my ministry evaluated the BFM 2000 and opted to continued affirming the 1963 with the family amendments from the 90s. I still agree, though think the BFM is not nearly as important for churches as it is for denominational folk...and there shouldn't be any formal denominational folk outside the seminaries and missions organizations.

Dr Hobbs helped shape the SBC missions ethos by fortifying a strong doctrine of Baptist ecclesiology in the local church.

There were some individuals within the seminary and missions leadership who were moving beyond SBC boundaries and needed to be corrected or dismissed. So the Resurgence served a good purpose there, however, I still contend the second stage of the Resurgence was about power and money over biblicism.

Dr Hobbs was not part of the group "responsible" for the Resurgence. He had, like many of us, good friends who would be cut off or singled out because they didn't kiss the boots of some of the individuals who decided to accost the convention in the second stage. There were good people who lost jobs, who lost families, who lost their identity by what happened. Let us never forget that truth.

I generally recommend any Herschel Hobbs resource to someone looking to get to know him better. In particular, I would particularly recommend "What Baptists' Believe" and "The Baptist Why and Why Not Revisited." Both are marvelous.

3. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'm going to show my ignorance here, but:

1. Does ,"Probably from all accounts only a 1-Pointer", mean that out of TULIP he probably only held to the 'P'?

2. What is "Soul Competency"?

[add]

Never mind on 'soul competency', I googled it (as I should have done to begin with), I knew that already, I agree with it, like I agree with the 'right of private judgment' of Hodge's theology.

#3 kyredneck, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2014
  4. Thousand Hills

Thank you, like I said had never heard of him until recently, just trying to get different POV to understand his role in SBC history better.

5. Thousand Hills

I show my ignorance everytime I post :smilewinkgrin:

1. - Yes P only
    2. - I had to look up 'right of private judgement' :tonofbricks:

6. kyredneck

kyredneck Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks TH.

7. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Hobbs, a man of great integrity. Preached the Baptist Hour for many, many years and wrote many accessible yet scholarly books that fed SBC folks for many years. I still use those little books the Sunday School Board published of which he wrote many, his preaching commentaries and his Baptist Faith and Message workbook, produced for many years, though I think it has been changed or discontinued, is just fantastic.

8. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

Herschel Hobbs was the first important Baptist writer I was introduced to, followed by E.Y.Mullins.

Not at all a liberal, and neither are his books.

I went through "Doctrines Baptists Believe" by Hobbs in Training Union. Years later, to get the old Baptist Doctrines Diploma through Discipleship Training I was given the new one by a different author.

I did the required reading, found the second quite unbaptistic, and gave my leader a report on BOTH books.

I strongly recommend reading both of these men if you want to understand SBC history.

9. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Remember, in the 70s, conservative partisans in the SBC even named themselves "The Baptist Faith and Message Fellowship".
    Bill Powell, LaVerne Butler, Charles Stanley, M. O. Owens, etc. weren't championing/rallying around a 'liberal' document, were they?

10. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

How about Dr. Frank Stagg?

11. nodak

nodak Active Member
    Site Supporter

I would be in disagreement with Dr. Frank Stagg on many points.

I do find him far more liberal than the men I referenced.

12. quantumfaith

quantumfaith Active Member

I understand, particularly in in later years. I did have one of his books as a text in a NT class.

13. Timsings

Timsings Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thank you for this thoughtful post about Dr. Hobbs. My father was the Minister of Music at First Baptist - OKC when Dr. Hobbs became the pastor. They worked very well together, and remained friends until Dr. Hobbs died. For anyone to suggest that he was anything other than a dedicated Southern Baptist shows that they do not know what they are talking about.