1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hey! Are people getting saved i n Baptist Churches anymore?

Discussion in 'Evangelism, Missions & Witnessing' started by Plain Old Bill, Apr 1, 2004.

1. Plain Old Bill

Plain Old Bill New Member

With no alter call,no invitation,no visitation,no witnessing,no soulwinning, how are we adding to the church daily?
    We can't disciple em' til we get em ' saved.
    Easy beleivism, even people I know who use the Roman Road (I do),teach repentance at the time of witnessing.We know you must be convicted of sin,repent and turn your back on sin. We know you must tell a person who Jesus Christ is, what He did For us, and what the result is when we accept Him as Lord And Savior.
    We also know that it is not the witness who does the saving, but we do get to make the introduction.How are they going to know unless someone tells them?
    I sure don't think 26 stanzas of Just as I am will save anybody.I do think after the Gospel is preached it does'nt hurt to give an invitation.

2. TaterTot

TaterTot Guest

Not sure where this is coming from, but I'll amswer for our Southern Baptist Church. We still have altar call, invitation, visitation, soul-winning, and yes, people are getting saved! We are a small church of about 60 in Sunday School, but we have had about 20 salvations (that I am aware of) in the past year.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

You may not be able to disciple them but you can start by introducing them to what scripture teaches.

The rate I have experienced is nearly 100 percent of those who begin in a Bible study who are not believers become one within a few months.

One time I offered a class on basic skills on how to interpret scripture. Several people came but also a non-believer came and became one of the best students ever. Shortly after the class he came to me and we discussed his personal relationship with God through Jesus. The next week I baptized him. He now leads the music and evangelism in a church as a part time paid staff member six years later. I became his friend before he knew Jesus. I really enjoyed being around him. But he was not a believer. He is as solid as a rock today. He's turned on for Jesus. His entire family are believers now.

"Give me one hundred preachers who fear nothing but sin and desire nothing but God, and I care not a straw whether they be clergymen or laymen, such alone will shake the gates of hell and set up the kingdom of God upon the earth."
    John Wesley (1703-1791)

4. Revelator

Revelator New Member

Well in our local bible-believing missionary baptist church, in teh past year in a small hick county, we have had over a hundred souls saved. We just started up a jail ministry and in seven weeks 25 people have been saved. If a person wants to see results they;ll find it in three places, one, studying the Word of God, two, Prayer, and three, fasting...

5. USN2Pulpit

USN2Pulpit New Member

The answer is yes...people are still being saved. There are still believers out there who recognize the primary importance of making disciples of all nations.

6. Plain Old Bill

Praise the Lord for you four.I just get the impression from reading on this board that people are so afraid someone might beleive to easily that they are afraid to tell them anything so I wonder who does the witnessing.I would think witnessing is for all of the church members.Imagine how busy we would be discipling new converts if we were as busy as the mormons and the JW's.

7. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Many of the "converts" of Graham, Hybels, Hylesish groups are no more saved than the man in the moon. Think THAT, Bill, is the warning that comes across in many threads.

Jack Hyles boasted (heard it myself) that 15% of his church was saved. Then he sneered, "But 15% of 10,000 is a whole lot more than what YOU have".

I walked out. According to their pastor, 8500 members who have been "saved" and baptized at FBC Hammond are on their way to hell and deceived into thinking they are saved. THAT is truly, truly sad.

8. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    And his heart was not broken [​IMG] over that number of lost under his watchcare. What shepherd would think it a success that only 85 per cent of his flock was lost? To think, this is a man who would put himself in the class as Edwards, Brainerd, Judson, Spurgeon, et al. (and he isn't the only one who puts himself into that company). The mind boogles. :confused: Whatever happened to following our Savior's example and weeping over our Jerusalems?

9. Plain Old Bill

Dear Dr. Bob & Squire Robertsson,
    I understand exactly what you are saying and could'nt agree with you more.However this should not keep the clergy and the lay person from witnessing.There is a right way to do personal evangelism as I explained in my post.When we tell people the Gospel Story we have to tell the whole story.
    I read so much on this board about easy believeism that it sounds like baptists have stopped for fear of becomming Hyles.I don't think there is any way to be cavalier about the way we witness. But I do believe srongly in leaveing tracts,handing out tracts ,and doing face to face evangelism. I think far more souls are saved as a result of face to face , eyeball to eyeball , heart to heart contact than are won in the pulpit.

I don't think the Great commission should go the way of the 10 suggestions ( I still know they are commandments).I know I don't win the soul, but I do get to make the introduction. Only God knows who is truly born again and a new creation in Christ Jesus. But that does'nt make me any less responsible for the going and the telling.

10. booklady

booklady New Member

What about our children? When our children who are being brought up in our Baptist churches are saved why don't we get just as excited as when an adult is saved? Maybe they aren't being saved at an altar but if they have truly repented of their sins and trusted Jesus to save them they are just as saved as the 60 year old man who walked an aisle and was saved at an altar. Yes, I do believe people are being saved in our Baptist churches but not necessarily in a church service.

My pastor always gives an invitation at the end of each service and the gospel is clearly preached. Begging them to come forward accomplishes nothing.

11. Plain Old Bill

Dear Booklady,
    I could'nt agree with you more.Most salvation experiences are due to one on one witnessing.
    We should rejoice any time anyone is brought to a saving knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.It has been my experience that many times when there is an alter call, the person comming forward has already come to Christ and is now making a public proffesion of thier faith.Some people due get saved during the service,some come forward for baptism or some other decision they have made.I think an alter call or invitation is appropriate if it is not to long and drawn out, 3 verses not 26 would probably be more that enough for anyone to respond to an alter call.

The point of the string is more toward personal evangelism than alter calls.All Christians should be witnesses to Christ. In fact we all are ,just some witnesses don't follow the instructions so well for one reason or another. Perhaps they have'nt been taught about the responsibility to witness.Perhaps they have'nt been taught how to witness.

The angels in heaven rejoice over one sinner that repenteth.

12. Servent

Servent Member

We have 10 groups (which I am proud to be a part of) that go out ever week, we knock on doors, visit those who visit us, do opinion polls, and yes people are getting saved praise God. Our pastor does not just preach something that will tickle your ears, we get the whole council Of God. Also have alter call ever service. All we can do is share the truth with them it's up to them to discide what do to with it.

13. alex_tel

alex_tel New Member

I think that the main question is not ? How?
    I think the main question is ? Whom? Whom do we preach?

Sometimes we ourselves do not know our Saviour and this is the reason why we cannot explain about Him clearly.

14. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

It is sad that a person would be so puffed up. I guess that makes him the great deceiver.

15. Psalm145 3

Psalm145 3 New Member

Plain Old Bill, Amen, Brother! Thank you for the encouragement.

C. H. Spurgeon once said, "Have you no wish for others to be saved? Then you are not saved yourself. Be sure of that."

Isaiah 45:22 Look unto me, and be ye saved, all the ends of the earth: for I am God, and there is none else.

16. Mission Man

Mission Man New Member

OH COURSE!
    People are getting saved EVERYDAY in Baptist Churchs. I will also speak for southern Baptist churchs. We do have everything you said. Infact we have a program called GROW which is our visitation. A differnt group come in EVERY Thursday. We have an alter call and invitation every Sunday. And yes people are getting saved all the time.

17. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Bill, sorry for my delay in following up on your reply to my post. In it, I was specificly refering to that pastor's lack of brokeness over the lost souls under his care.

Looking at that situation, we would do well to look at it as a cautionary one. We should ask ourselves,</font>
    • "As we witness to others, how clear is the message we are bringing?"</font>
    • "Am I getting this person lost before 'getting' them saved?" In other words, is the need for repentence being communicated to the listener?</font>
    • Am I being a salesman seeking to make a successful sale or am I being a wittness of the Light God has given me?" How you answer this one brings to mind the adage:
      </font>
    These questions are valid no matter if you are in the pew or in the pulpit.

18. Bro.Bill

Bro.Bill New Member

Dear Squire Robertsson,
    Right on!We are not selling used cars here are we.So salesmanship is not a part of the process. How one can not lamment over 85% of the people he witnesses to don't get saved is beyond my understanding.
    Again we are only witnessing,making the introduction. It is not within our power to do any saving, so there is never a need to get puffed up. Pride is'nt that one of the 7 deadly sins?
    I beleive witnessing is a heavy responsibility. First we are commanded to do it, so it is not optional. Since witnessing is our responsibility we should take the time and make the effort to learn to do it as best we can.This should be learned in church. Personal evangelism should be an on going program in the church. The pastor cannot do all of the witnessing, if he is then that is a very unhealthy situation.
    I also beleive that the term "soul winner" should be replaced with something like active witness or something along those lines. The reason for that line of thinking of course is we do not do any saving so we don't win the soul. We make the introduction. Also if we care about a persons spiritual welfare we should be an ongoing witness.

If one were to use the Roman Road it would certainly be wise to add Rom 2:4. We must realize we are sinners in need of Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior and we must truly repent of our sins.

19. pinoybaptist

pinoybaptist Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    No. No one was ever at anytime saved in Baptist churches, or in Methodist churches, or in Pentecostal churches, or in any church for that matter. No one.

20. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

What ever happened to persons doing individual one on one evangelism as they work and live?