1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hey KJVOs a question for you.

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by 4His_glory, Mar 11, 2005.

1. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Here is a question for KJVOs. I hope they will answer it.

Would you accept a modern translation of Scripture, if it was literaly translated from the TR and the Masoratic text?

2. Glory2God

Glory2God New Member

I believe Wesley and Webster did just that(I could be wrong)and it just didn't work. I honestly believe(at least in English)that you can't improve it. To do so would be to "dumb it down" so to speak. Other languages, on the other hand, have much room for improvement, if they even have a translation. I believe focus shold be on nations that don't have a bible in their language, using the TR, Masoretic Text and KJB as the base. [​IMG]

3. Spoudazo

Spoudazo New Member

So you couldn't improve these translational blunders? (the men were very wise, scholarly, et al. but not perfect)

Acts 19:2 He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost.
    KJV Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

And there are several more but I have to get back to work! [​IMG]

4. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

And EXACTLY what is WRONG with Acts 5:30?

They DID slay Him. The DID hang Him on a tree.

BTW;
    He GREW that tree!!!

In HIS service;
    Jim

5. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Yes I would accept it IF AND ONLY IF you could be absolutely certain that the text you are using is the exact text they used. Since you can't then the question is moot.

In HIS service;
    Jim

6. David J

David J New Member

Jim,

There is a lot wrong with Acts 5:30. Jesus was not killed first(slew) and hung. Jesus was killed by hanging on a tree. This needs to be corrected in the KJV.

You ignored Acts 19:2," He said unto them, Have ye received the Holy Ghost since ye believed? And they said unto him, We have not so much as heard whether there be any Holy Ghost."

Do you receive the Holy Spirit when you believed or since you believed?

This needs be corrected. Many bad doctrines have been built from this error.

Would you object to a KJV that smply corrected these two errors?

7. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes I would support such a Bible.

Interesting criteria. Especially since the KJV translators did not use 1 text only. The KJV translators used more than 1 edition of the TR plus the Vulgate when making the KJV.

8. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

Yeah , back to "work" discrediting all of Scripture by your logic, NONE of those who penned what the Holy Ghost inspired were ever perfect! And to think, these THINK themselves as a sort of "eggspert" on the translation discussion, always using such ill-logic in their means to discredit, you heard it! The King James Bible. :rolleyes:

9. NaasPreacher (C4K)

NaasPreacher (C4K) Well-Known Member

Why was that exact body of Greek and Hebrew texts, English language versions, and foreign language versions so special that it must be replicated today?

10. Plain ol' Ralph

Plain ol' Ralph New Member

WRONG! The KJB is correct, "slew" in this place means "knocked down". You're adding a wrong interpretation of the Greek by dynamic equivelence here, when the Greek is emphatically CLEAR that they "slew" Jesus by the means of certain death, but as God, He did not die that death as any other man would, but went all the way to the Cross. (and they wonder why we so object to the "new" translations, those which introduce fallacy and misinterpretation resulting in false doctrine. Afriad there is MUCH more to the KJB than these will ever admit)

I object!! You have again imposed false doctrine, read your Bible again! God chose the foolishness of preaching to SAVE them which BELIEVE, even the devils BELIEVE and tremble at His Word, so have devils "received" the Holy Ghost?

BTW, which "bad doctrines"? Do you mean the charismatic ideal that first one believes as the first "step" of salvation and then to complete salvation they must receive the Holy Ghost? This passages teaches absolutely no such thing!! All it teaches is that they were disciples and had received water baptism, but yet had they been changed, regenerated by the Holy Ghost which ALL believers "receive" at salvation.

You do know that your wrong, and the wrong of the charismatics don't ever make a right?

What amazes me is the way so many of you think yourselves to have studied, but maybe so, just the WRONG materials!! Go back and read the whole context, if you're really saved and open to what thus saith the Lord, He will show you. (AND NO!! I am NOT questioning your salvation!!!) [​IMG]

11. David J

David J New Member

Nice spin POR!

Your post is slanted as usual [​IMG]

Now spin this little problem in the KJV that many false doctrines are born from:

(2Pe 1:1) Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:

God and OUR savior? God as one and Jesus as second person?

What's wrong with corrected this verse by saying," of God and Savior Jesus Christ"?

What kind of spin are you going to put on this KJV rendering?

12. Logos1560

Logos1560 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    2 Peter 1:1c
    righteousness that cometh of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Tyndale's, Coverdale's, Matthew's, Taverner's)

righteousness of our God and Saviour Jesus Christ (Great, Whittingham's, Geneva, Bishops', Wesley's, 1842 revision by Baptists)

13. David J

David J New Member

Good point Logos!

14. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Interesting criteria. Especially since the KJV translators did not use 1 text only. The KJV translators used more than 1 edition of the TR plus the Vulgate when making the KJV. </font>[/QUOTE]Precisely my point TC. As I mentioned to Roger in another thread, I really don't think it is POSSIBLE for us to nail it down to the exact "text" for indeed it was many and it went through many reviews before they had it all hammered out into the finished product. How do we know what it was they based their choices on? We don't. Not entirely. One group did a few books. Passed it on to the next group and so on. In the final analysis, WHICH group was it that made the choice that stuck and why?

As you can see, it would be nigh impossible for us today to recreate the 'exact text' because there wasn't just one.

In HIS service;
    Jim

15. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Allow me David. I would put the same "SPIN" on it that Paul did.

vis-a-vis
    Tit 1:3
    But hath in due times manifested his word through preaching, which is committed unto me according to the commandment of God our Saviour;
    Tit 1:4
    To Titus, mine own son after the common faith: Grace, mercy, and peace, from God the Father and the Lord Jesus Christ our Saviour.

There you have it in BOTH forms. God our Saviour. And Jesus our Saviour.

BTW; it was THIS passage that God used when I was witnessing to a Morman that caused said Mormon to RIP UP his BoM and get saved that very day! Praise God! A "lost" Mormon can see that it is NOT saying there are TWO Saviours, nor TWO Gods. Why would you have such trouble?

In HIS service;
    Jim

16. PASTOR MHG

PASTOR MHG New Member

This passage is very clear with very basic understanding of the scripture...the way we obtain "like precious faith" is the imputed "righteousness of God" via the GOD-MAN "our Saviour Jesus Christ."

We must remember the Bible is a Complete Revelation (the Whole must be taken in context for proper interpretation).

No error on the part of the translators here or in any such case!

17. av1611jim

av1611jim New Member

Why was that exact body of Greek and Hebrew texts, English language versions, and foreign language versions so special that it must be replicated today? </font>[/QUOTE]Truthfully, Roger, that IS a tough question to answer. Oh, I know some will say it ISN'T so special. I disagree. If nailed down to it, I would have to say, the fruit of 350+ years of taking THAT Book around the world. Not numbers per se, for if numbers were the only criteria, then our RCC opponents and LDS etc, could have somewhat to say. But REAL fruit. The kind that changes lives. The fruit that changes head hunters into Christians. The fruit that causes millions of otherwise heathen peoples on all seven continents to change from superstition and idol worship into God fearing, persecution enduring, faithful saints of God. Longevity? Fruit? That Book has it all. It is without a doubt God blessed.
    Could any version since make that claim? No.
    Another reason would be it is the KJV which has been so attacked by Satan's hordes. It is the KJV which has endured such attacks as the birth of LDS, JW, Christian Science, Theosophy, and a host of others. Yet it STILL stands as the Monarch recognized by both Christendom and this present world as the Hallmark of the English Reformation.

I could go on. It is evident I am passionate about THAT BOOK. I was saved by the words of its pages cutting right to my heart. I shall ever defend it as the perfect Book of God. I may not be able to convince "scholars" of it. But I don't have to. All God asks of me is to take its words and preach them, He has promised to do the rest. He has in the past, He does to this day, and He will forevermore!

In HIS service;
    Jim

18. Askjo

Askjo New Member

WRONG! The KJB is correct, "slew" in this place means "knocked down". You're adding a wrong interpretation of the Greek by dynamic equivelence here, when the Greek is emphatically CLEAR that they "slew" Jesus by the means of certain death, but as God, He did not die that death as any other man would, but went all the way to the Cross. (and they wonder why we so object to the "new" translations, those which introduce fallacy and misinterpretation resulting in false doctrine. Afriad there is MUCH more to the KJB than these will ever admit)

I object!! You have again imposed false doctrine, read your Bible again! God chose the foolishness of preaching to SAVE them which BELIEVE, even the devils BELIEVE and tremble at His Word, so have devils "received" the Holy Ghost?

BTW, which "bad doctrines"? Do you mean the charismatic ideal that first one believes as the first "step" of salvation and then to complete salvation they must receive the Holy Ghost? This passages teaches absolutely no such thing!! All it teaches is that they were disciples and had received water baptism, but yet had they been changed, regenerated by the Holy Ghost which ALL believers "receive" at salvation.

You do know that your wrong, and the wrong of the charismatics don't ever make a right?

What amazes me is the way so many of you think yourselves to have studied, but maybe so, just the WRONG materials!! Go back and read the whole context, if you're really saved and open to what thus saith the Lord, He will show you. (AND NO!! I am NOT questioning your salvation!!!) [​IMG]
    </font>[/QUOTE]Amen to that! I agree.

19. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    AV1611Jim: And EXACTLY what is WRONG with Acts 5:30?

They DID slay Him. The DID hang Him on a tree.

BTW;
    He GREW that tree!!

They did NOT slay Him & THEN hang Him, as the reading of that passage in the KJV suggests. The order is reversed.

20. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I don't believe the diehard KJVO will accept any other version, no matter WHAT it's franslated from. I believe their rejection of the NKJV proves that. Sure, there were other materials used for the NKJV besides what the AV men used, but it would be sinful for a Christian translator to not use ALL the material available.