1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

High School Football recieves penalty flag

Discussion in 'Sports Forum' started by Salty, Dec 1, 2010.

1. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
  2. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    As a former player, former coach, father of a player, and Christian, I've never understood the idea of thanking Jesus for a touchdown.

I mean, if you're going to do that, then in order to be consistent, then it's only fair that you blame Jesus for not making the touchdown (ie. "I would have scored if Jesus hadn't made me fumble.") But you never hear that.

Would I have thrown a flag over it? No. However, in this case, it looks like the official was in the right.

Officials have the discretion to enforce rules the way they see fit. Even though it wasn't enforced up to this point, it looks like the rules do say no endzone celebrations that draws attention to the player.

My only issue is, while the official was in the right, how consistently does he enforce it. I have to assume it isn't very consistent or else this would have come up before.

The other question I have is, what was the score when he did it? The game was a blowout and could it be possible that the official saw this as taunting?

I'm not a big fan of endzone celebrations. My dad was a Ted Williams, "act like you've been there before", kind of guy. But on the other hand, I do kind of miss the days of the USFL where the endzone celebrations were fun and were about as choreographed as the Rockettes' Christmas Show.

3. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

The Bills receiver that dropped the game winning TD in OT did just that via twitter :laugh: I disagree with the premise, btw.

We thank Jesus for our food, our homes, our family...what's wrong with thanking him for our physical ability?

4. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would not call that a celebration. It lasted what 2 seconds? My thinking is that the rule of intent is extended celebrations - say 20+ seconds?

Those 2 seconds did not delay the game (reason for the rule) execpt the extra time to process the penalty

5. JohnDeereFan

JohnDeereFan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Under the rules, it's still considered an endzone celebration. I know that when I coached, they were really cracking down on it in response to all of the endzone celebrations taking place in the NFL and college.

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Than its a bad rule. In fact, its almost PC. Because when you celebrate a TD, then the other team is going to feel rejected:tear: Everyone bring tissues for the poor loosing team.

Lets redo the rule. Its bad enought that in some youth leagues, they dont even keep score.
    and neither does New Milford and they even have other PC rules.

so we dont get off topic too much, I have started a new thread on this Click here for thread

7. Steven2006

Steven2006 New Member

Steve Johnson, Buffalo Bills wideout