1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured High School Valedictorian Stuns Audience After He Rips Up Speech and Delivers the Lor

Discussion in 'News & Current Events' started by Revmitchell, Jun 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. go2church

go2church Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Are you really comparing life saving discretion on the part of the midwives and Rahab to what this kid did? Yes they lied but it was a matter of life and death, not some speech at a graduation ceremony, which it seems he set out to lie from the get go. Nevermind being in the same ballpark, they are even playing the same game.

2. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

Getting back on topic. KUDOs to the young man again!!! Shall he and his generation continue to stand up where we have remained silent.:praying:

3. just-want-peace

just-want-peace Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Perzactly!!

If we, as Christians, had been more vocal when we noticed the start of this slippery slope, there just may have been NO slippery slope to contend with now; ya think maybe???

IOW, it would never have gotten to the point that the "school brass" would be afraid of the VOCAL minority that is now making the decision for the rest of us.

4. Jedi Knight

Jedi Knight Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Didn't The Lord say dust off your feet and move on?
    If someone does not want to hear I will not cast my pearls BUT it does say ALWAYS be ready to give an answer to those who ask....with respect.

5. Scarlett O.

Scarlett O. Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    As has been asked before on this thread and no one answered .... who made the request of the young man to explain his faith at the podium?

6. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Matthew did!
    "Go ye into all the world..."

7. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't recall seeing an answer to my previous question: was it okay for this kid to deceive the school authorities? Is it okay for us to lie and deceive in order to spread the gospel?

8. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I applaud the young man taking a stand.:thumbsup:

9. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    So you condone his deceit, and therefore, by extension, encourage others to do so as well. Thanks for answering.

10. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    In that post, you mentioned that Brother Andrew had his Bibles in plain sight.

But the fact is that it was against the Law of the country he was going into

A couple of points.
    First he was not preaching- all he did was give his testimoniy.
    Second-under the laws of this county - you are allowed to challange an unjust law. And that is exactly what he did.
    Going under your assumption, than Rosa Parks was wrong for sitting in the front of the bus, how about those who hid Jews in their homes in WWII? I found this:
    ...Augustine with, "An unjust law is no law at all." King goes on to explain that a just law is a law that uplifts human personality and it squares with moral law ....

Bottom line: this young man stood up for what is right.

A lot of this "pre-approved is due to the threats of the ACLU. Schools are afraid of the cost in dollars. Maybe its time to demand their actions be stopped.

As I said before, the young man was not preaching - that would be one thing - but to give his personal testimony is simply a focus of his free speech.

11. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

I applaud the young man taking a stand. Anything else is your assumption so thanks for asking a question and supplying the answer.

12. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I already said thanks for answering. Your tacit refusal to answer a direct question, directly related to the topic of this thread, speaks volumes. If you don't want people making assumptions, than you should try answering the questions.

13. Salty

Salty 20,000 Posts Club
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I directly answered your question- your comment?

14. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

There was no tacit refusal. You feel free to make all the assumptions you wish. They are after all your assumptions and in no way affect MY answer.

I STILL applaud the young man.

15. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Sorry, Salty; missed that somehow. I don't see this as analogous to Rosa Parks. She wasn't asked to sit in the back of the bus; agreed to do so; then changed her mind and sat in the front.

I also don't have a problem with what the young man said; as I mentioned somewhere, it needed to be said.

The part I have trouble with, is where he admitted that he received approval of his speech, but pre-planned to say something else. In other words, it sounds like he purposefully deceived the school leadership--which is not something Rosa Parks did.

Now, in the meantime in another thread, someone stated that in an interview, the young man said he had been given instructions from school leadership that he could not say God or Jesus; in which case, that's a clear-cut restriction of religious freedoms, and I, too, applaud him for taking a stand. I personally would have been more up-front and honest about it, but that's me.

16. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You wouldn't answer the question; and you wouldn't acknowledge the question. What else should we call it?
    What answer? You never answered the question, so how can you say anything affected your answer?

17. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  18. Oldtimer

Oldtimer New Member

Had this young man submitted his speech as he planned to give it, would he have been allowed to board the bus?

19. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    That's one of the questions I've been trying to figure out, but can't seem to find an answer to.

If he had, how would that affect the situation in your mind?

20. Zaac

Zaac Well-Known Member

You and whomever else can call it whatever you feel like calling it.

Sure I answered the question. i just didn't answer your question which had nothing to do with THE question.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.