1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hip Hop Church, What About...

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by ShotGunWillie, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Filmproducer

Filmproducer Guest

Wow, you really and truly are ignorant about the black community to spew forth this garbage. The more you post the more apparant your predjudices stand out. Like I said there is no point arguing with you, it's not worth it, and frankly I really would rather you keep your predujudices to yourself.

(BTW, I'm speaking as someone who lives within the black community.)

Right, the black community in America is not doing anything to improve the "problems" within their community. All they do is whine and complain about unfair treatment and racism, right? Man, black people can't win for lose with some of you. On the one hand any time they do anything, (million man march, state of the black union, or anything else), they are the racist ones for "excluding" other races and being separate. on the other hand, they aren't doing anything at all to make things better. So which is it really? Are they doing something, or aren't they? Since you know oh so much about black people, I figure I'll let you tell me. :rolleyes:

2. convicted1

convicted1 Guest

RE: Hip Hop church?

I guess I have heard it all, now. The only problem I see with this, well the MAIN thing I see wrong with this is, that the Word needs to change people, not change the Word to suit people's desires. I just don't see where God would get any praise from Hip Hop. There just isn't any Holiness in it. In my sinner days, I loved it, but now I don't listen to it.

I guess they will sing "Gin and Juice" by Snoop Dog prior to communion and "Da Dip" by Freaknasty will be sung prior to baptism. I don't mean to poke fun at religion, because I am a very religious person; but a Hip Hop church is a bit much, IMHO.

#22 convicted1, Aug 3, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2007
  3. npetreley

npetreley New Member

That's funny, because I've always hated hip hop/rap, and I still do. But I see nothing wrong with these music styles in a church if the words are truly Biblical. I wouldn't attend such a church, but I wouldn't object to it.

I'm not a big fan of contemporary praise and worship, but when I have been offended by some of the top 40 praise and worship songs, it was because their lyrics can, at times, be quite unbiblical. I don't like the music to some hymns, but I find hymns, in general, to be much more Biblical than most other forms of music.

4. Cutter

Cutter New Member

An old farmer went to the city one weekend and attended the big city church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was. "Well," said the farmer, "It was good. They did something different, however. They sang praise choruses instead of hymns."

"Praise choruses," said his wife, "What are those?"

"Oh, they're okay. They're sort of like hymns, only different," said the farmer.

"Well, what's the difference?" asked his wife.

The farmer said, "Well, it's like this - If I were to say to you: Martha, the cows are in the corn,' well, that would be a hymn. If, on the other hand, I were to say to you:

Martha Martha, Martha, Oh, Martha, MARTHA, MARTHA,
    the cows, the big cows, the brown cows, the black cows,
    the white cows, the black and white cows,
    the COWS, COWS, COWS are in the corn,
    are in the corn, are in the corn, are in the corn,
    the CORN, CORN, CORN,

then, if I were to repeat the whole thing two or three times, well that would be a praise chorus."

As luck would have it, the exact same Sunday a young, new Christian from the city church attended the small town church. He came home and his wife asked him how it was. "Well," said the young man, "It was good. They did something different, however. They sang hymns instead of regular songs."

"Hymns," said his wife, "What are those?"

"Oh, they're okay. They're sort of like regular songs, only different," said the young man.

"Well, what's the difference?" asked his wife.

The young man said, "Well it's like this - If I were to say to you, Martha, the cows are in the corn,' well, that would be a regular song. If, on the other hand, I were to say to you:

Oh Martha, dear Martha, hear thou my cry
    Inclines thine ear to the words of my mouth.
    Turn thou thy whole wondrous ear by and by
    To the righteous, inimitable, glorious truth.
    For the way of the animals who can explain
    There in their heads is no shadow of sense,
    Hearkenest they in God's sun or his rain
    Unless from the mild, tempting corn they are fenced.
    Yea those cows in glad bovine, rebellious delight,
    Have broke free their shackles, their warm pens eschewed.
    Then goaded by minions of darkness and night
    They all my mild Chilliwack sweet corn have chewed.
    So look to that bright shining day by and by,
    Where all foul corruptions of earth are reborn.
    Where no vicious animal makes my soul cry
    And I no longer see those foul cows in the corn.

Then, if I were to do only verses one, three and four and do a key change on
    the last verse, well that would be a hymn."