1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hip-Hop Prayer Book?

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by standingfirminChrist, Jul 7, 2006.

1. standingfirminChrist

How far will one go to destroy the Word of God?

We now have a prayer book written in hip-hop jargon. Psalm 23 reads as follows:

The Lord is all that, I need for nothing.
    He allows me to chill.
    He keeps me from being heated
    and allows me to breathe easy.
    He guides my life so that
    I can represent and give
    shouts out in his Name.
    And even though I walk through
    the Hood of death,
    I don't back down
    for you have my back.
    The fact that you have me covered
    allows me to chill.
    He provides me with back-up
    in front of my player-haters
    and I know that I am a baller
    and life will be phat.
    I fall back in the Lord's crib
    for the rest of my life.

http://www.churchpublishing.org/index.cfm?fuseaction=Product&Productid=426

Thoughts?

2. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

While the words and meanings have changed, the message hasn't. How is this "destroying" the Word of God? Did we "destroy" the Word of God by replacing thee, thy, thine and thou?

3. standingfirminChrist

The message has changed completely. Look at the last part of it. In stead of 'dwell in the Lord's house forever,' it is changed to living in His crib for the rest of my life?

The message has changed throughout the whole psalm.

4. Linda64

Linda64 New Member

Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him. Add thou not unto his words, lest he reprove thee, and thou be found a liar. (Proverbs 30:5-6)

For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. (Revelation 22:18-19)

But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed. (Galatians 1:8-9)

I would say this is adding somebody's own interpretationto God's Word--Hip Hop language is street language--not biblical language--NOT inspired by God. This is "another gospel" and "another Jesus"

5. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

"crib" means house, so no, the meaning hasn't changed.

6. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...so was shakespearian english the language from the "streets". English wasn't "inspired by God", Hebrew and Greek were.

7. standingfirminChrist

Show me where in the Word of God David referred to himself as a 'drug dealer' or a 'pimp.' That is what the word 'baller' in hip-hop slang means.

Don't tell me they are not trying to destroy the Word of God.

8. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

You dont' know what crib means, but you know what "baller" means? :laugh:

Your definition of "baller" is way off. Spend some more time with your youth...

9. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

O my! I hope seriously that you see the message has changed. I am very sorry that you think this is no different than changing some archaic pronouns.

10. webdog

webdog Active Member
    Site Supporter

...then please, do tell what has changed...

11. PrimePower7

PrimePower7 New Member

Well,

:laugh: I cannot even pick out verse 5 in all of that! (I love that icon)

5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest F72 my head with oil; my cup runneth over.

12. gekko

gekko New Member

and dont forget the bits of aramaic in there too!
    ---

first of all. its badly put together hip-hop lingo. doesnt flow. its pronounced "shout outs" not "shouts out" its very bad grammar - even for hip-hop lingo.
    ---

"the Lord is my shephard; I shall not want"
    "the Lord is all that, I need for nothing"

that's saying the same thing
    ---
    "He makether me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters."

" He allows me to chill. He keeps me from being heated and allows me to breathe easy."

saying the same thing
    ---

"He restoreth my sould: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake."

" He guides my life so that I can represent and give shouts out in his Name."

same thing
    ---

"Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and they staff they comfort me"

" And even though I walk through the Hood of death, I don't back down for you have my back. The fact that you have me covered allows me to chill."

same thing
    ---

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

" He provides me with back-up in front of my player-haters and I know that I am a baller and life will be phat. I fall back in the Lord's crib for the rest of my life."

same thing.
    ---

granted. it is very watered down. its got bad spelling, bad grammar... etc.
    its spelt 'balla not baller. playa' hata' not player hater. etc.
    they guy obviously doesnt seem like he's been in tha hood much.
    ---

webdog... what's your definition of " 'balla " ?
    SFIC got his from rapdict.com probably.

13. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Here you go.

He provides me with back-up
    in front of my player-haters
    and I know that I am a baller
    and life will be phat.

14. ccrobinson

ccrobinson Active Member

Agreed gekko. Even this white boy knows when he's seeing bad hip-hop. :wavey:

15. standingfirminChrist

Also a very bad translation

16. standingfirminChrist

I do know what crib means, it means home. That last verse in the hip-hop version does not speak of everlasting life was my point. If it were speaking of everlasting, the phrase 'rest of' would not be included.

Baller:

Baller

From Rap Dictionary

Jump to: navigation, search
    [edit]
    noun

'balla
    1. a drug dealer
    2. a pimp
    3. A person who lives an extravagent lifestyle funded through organized crime. i.e: drug dealing,weapons dealer, prostitution, loan sharking,and so forth.
    4. Dan Beynon ( YEH! hes black! )
    5. A PERSON WHO HAS A LOT OF MONEY 6. A Mac 7. A basketball player

www.rapdict.com

Which one of those def's fit David as written in the Word of God?

And don't tell me he was a basketball player because the Bible says he played in the king's court.

17. Gib

Gib Active Member

I guess some words have multiple meanings on the skreet.
    Both my kids play basketball and I've heard baller many times as they refer to themselves and others.

I've never heard it referred to the other defenitions given.

I don't think the hip-hopster was referring to being a pimp.

18. gekko

gekko New Member

like i said. very watered down. written to a materialistic nation. because they read the verse "and he will give you the desires of your heart" like its physical desires. materialistic desires. which is wrong.

the one thing i will give this is that its a very good job on behalf of the whole modern church and modern evangelism.
    ---

and they think youth will read this? haha. i still can't get over how badly written it is.
    ---

and like i said - the guy wouldn't have used the word 'balla if he had ever been to the hood. or south bronx. or even compton. or even if he listened to the local hip-hop radio.

like. c'mon rev. can't do any better then that. jeepers.
    ---

19. standingfirminChrist

'All that' is not the same as Shepherd. 'All that means someone who is nice to you or others; Jesus is more than nice. A person can be nice without being a shepherd, without having to be depended on. Also, David did not say 'I shall not need.' He said, 'I shall not want.' Wants and needs are two different things. One can want a million dollars and not need it.

It is not the same

---
    funny, 'heated' is not in the hip-hop slang. And how does one get 'allows me to breath easily' out of verse two?

not the same.
    ---

Wrong again. Shout out means 'to give respect to.' Does not even mean the same as 'leads me in the paths of righteousness.'
    ---

You have my back is not the same as 'Thou art with me.'
    ---

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever."

He provides me with a back-up is not the same thing as 'Thou preparest a table before me.' Changing 'Thou' to 'He' takes the focus away from who the 'Thou' is. I have already showed where 'baller' is not an attribute of David. And also everlasting life is totally done away with.
    ---

[/quote] granted. it is very watered down. its got bad spelling, bad grammar... etc.
    its spelt 'balla not baller. playa' hata' not player hater. etc.
    they guy obviously doesnt seem like he's been in tha hood much.[/quote]

According to rapdict.com, it can be spelled either/or baller/balla. Same with player... either/or playa/player.
    ---

webdog... what's your definition of " 'balla " ?
    SFIC got his from rapdict.com probably.[/quote]

#19 standingfirminChrist, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2006
  20. gekko

gekko New Member

uh. yah it is. just because its not at rapdict.com doesnt mean its not hip-hop lingo

SFIC...

have you ever lived in the ghetto?

#20 gekko, Jul 7, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2006