1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured Hiring a youth pastor

Discussion in 'General Baptist Discussions' started by evangelist6589, Mar 13, 2016.

1. blessedwife318

blessedwife318 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not to mention that most churches go through youth pastors like they are going out of style. In the 6 years I was youth group age I went through 7 youth leaders. Let's just say that left me very frustrated and a bit cynical about churches in general. By God's grace I'm past that but 18 year olds should not be that cynical about churches.
    The other problem is that unless you were like me and also went to "grown up" church you would know no one when you graduated.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Jerome

Jerome Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Here's the verdict of Capitol Hill Baptist Church:

http://9marks.org/mailbag/mailbag-7...ices-or-one-youth-pastors-a-discipline-issue/

3. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    My last church was like that (going through youth pastors). I don't know if it was an issue of the right person or simply an issue of an inadequately defined position.

My current church (I've been there about 8 years) has had the same youth pastor for that period of time. He's in his mid to late 40's but has done an outstanding job in the position.

I'm not sure what you mean by "grown up" church. Even our children attend worship service with the congregation (this was true in the last church I spoke of as well). The reason we have a ministry for children and for youth is to work with them in Sunday School, evening study groups (Sun. and Wed. nights) for events geared for that category (VBS, camps, and other activities) and to meet their needs throughout the week. If a church grows to a moderate size congregation, there sometimes comes a time when one pastor cannot personally and effectively meet the needs of his congregation. But my personal experience is limited to only a few churches. Are there many churches which use the youth ministry as a substitute for corporate worship?

4. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The church I went to in high school kept the youth separate from thr rest for the church. I think I was the only one that made it over to the sanctuary for the sermon. In large churches in my experience it is the norm to keep all the ages segregated from each other.

5. annsni

annsni Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I love our youth pastor. He's been on staff since....well, he could be on staff!! He started as a student, became a student leader, became a pastoral intern and then became a pastor. Through this time, he never wavered from his commitment to youth ministry. He now is married and has three children of his own. :) When we first started at the church, the youth pastor was amazing and had been my brother's gym teacher at a Christian school back in the 80s. He is now one of our campus pastors so while he did move on from being our youth pastor, he is still on staff and still in contact with many of the former students in youth group. So in the 20 years we've been at the church, we've had two youth pastors and both are still pastors at the church and have been there since before we came!

What I love is the heart for the Lord our youth pastor has and his heart for discipling these kids. He has the kids in small groups, discipleship groups, the large group teaching and encourages the kids to be in ministry in the church. He's feed a lot into my own kids and I appreciate his partnership in bringing up my kids through the rough teen years to be strong in the Lord. :)

6. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I think you misunderstand. The man coming to be youth pastor is a good fit; John is not.

7. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Maybe it's a regional thing. I spent my teenage years around the same area. We moved three times and attended a large church each time. But every church I attended we worshiped with the congregation. When we got older we wanted to sit with our friends instead of with our parents. But I never experienced that type of segregation in church (I'll add that I grew up attending SBC congregations). My last church did have a "crying room," which unfortunately was often ignored by a few proud parents.

8. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I may have. He said that he was a good fit for the fundamental church, but at the same time indicated that it was sad he would have to conform to their beliefs. Either way, I suppose it's a "no go" vote. If the man teaches theology that John supports then he doesn't fit the church. If he fits the church then his theology is not something John would support. I don't know that he could vote his conscience regarding proper teaching while supporting the interest of the congregation.

9. Internet Theologian

Internet Theologian Well-Known Member

Nope. If a person goes to a church that differs in areas with their position, it is up to them to stay or serve there. Saying that a person has to conform to the system of a certain church in order to serve is up to them to do so. They have to live with it.

Many find themselves having to make some sort of small compromise in order to join a certain local church. Some on here have done just that. It is not derogatory, imo, to mention this or allude to this fact.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Don

Don Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    See post #7.

11. Internet Theologian

Some churches want to ask the kids if they think the new youth pastor candidate is 'cool'. Who's running 'the show' here? Answer: It's the pew, not the pulpit, and certainly not the Scriptures.

• Like Like x 1
  12. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    It certainly would lean towards a matter of church discipline (not disagreeing with some doctrines but posting about those disagreements).
    I took this to mean that the man held to a view closer to Evan's theology than to the churches. But I could very well have misunderstood.

13. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I disagree that the church should be run "from the pulpit," but certainly it's direction comes from the pastor. I have attended churches that were "run from the pulpit," which accounted for the lack of growth. But I don't think we mean the same thing when we say "run from the pulpit."

If you don't mind me asking, what in area of the country do you life? This segregation and asking children to pick their pastors seems so odd to me. Is it common among certain denominations or in specific areas/cultures?

14. Internet Theologian

By the way, what things exactly are you referring to being posted? Things in this thread? Things in a past thread, concerning your disagreements with evangelist6589 past postings, or current things posted? I'm trying to find out what exactly the disagreement is here.

Then there is this caveat: If the person were naming names, the exact church, pastor's name et al and slandering these on a forum that may be a different thing. But this is not that.

In all due respect I think much ado is being made out of not much. It appears for all practical purposes that to 'pile on' evangelist6589 is a sport to some. :)

Not everyone agrees with all things taught in their church. It's normal. I belonged to a church that preached that no matter how you live, if you prayed a prayer sincerely you're going to heaven. I suppose I should be lambasted over such a thing, bringing it up on a forum and all, because I vehemently disagree with that error.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Internet Theologian

Right, I don't think a church should be run from the pulpit either, but at the same time the pulpit should not be controlled by the church as long as truth is being expounded. Take that for what it's worth.

The scenario I am referring to has happened both in the Eastern US and also in the midwest, more often in the latter, and always among IFB's.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. JonC

JonC Moderator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Thanks. Like I said, I think that we agree about the pulpit thing (I've also been in churches where a few in the pew ran the church.....they actually owned the land that the church sat).

I've never attended an IFB church, not really because of any issue of doctrine but simply because we've always settled in a good SBC church (...and 'cause Paul was a Southern Baptist...not Paul Washer....although he is....but the other Paul :D). Seriously, though, thanks for the information. I am not as familiar with IFB churches as I would like to be (partly because I assume they are as diverse as the SBC).

17. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes piling on me is a sport to some and I am unable to defend myself and say what I normally would say in response.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Internet Theologian

You'll be alright bro, just don't do the rabbit thing anymore, you know that wasn't right. Several here want to pile it on you, they like what they deem an easy target and seek you out. Take the high road (Christian responses) to attacks.

• Like Like x 1
  19. evangelist6589

evangelist6589 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I have BW on ignore and the others I just ignore their garbage posts.

20. blessedwife318

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    You know I think you should either talk to people that have upset you or stop publicly saying that they are on ignore. The Christian response is to deal with an offended brother, not make sure that everyone knows they are on ignore. Just a little food for thought.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1