1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historic split for U.S. Episcopals

Discussion in '2008 Archive' started by moondg, Dec 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hillclimber1

hillclimber1 Active Member
    Site Supporter

The gays do have every right hetero's have, and they should have NO MORE. This idea that they should have a constitutional or the socially acceptable right to practice homosexuality, which is an abomination to God, is morally reprehensible. It is being cleverly shoved down our throats, and it doesn't help when believers begin accepting this evil notion.

2. Joseph M. Smith

Joseph M. Smith New Member

Let's go another way with this discussion ... about the fractiousness of American Protestantism, made especially serious over how one deals with the homosexuality complex of issues. Episcopalians going to African jurisdictions ... in another article I read that four bishops have converted to Roman Catholicism in recent months, largely because of the direction the Episcopal Church took on this set of issues. It is hard to see how any of this can do anything but seriously weaken that denomination.

American Baptists also lost an entire region, even though ABCUSA is not affirming homosexual behavior. Somehow it could not be said strongly enough to keep down the fractiousness in the Pacific Southwest.

I have also watched Southern Baptists for many years, and, while my sympathies are with CBF, I still grieve the divisiveness within that fellowship.

What can we do to preserve the unity of Christ's church? I do know that unity is not equivalent to uniformity.

3. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

I applaud this diocese for standing up to this evil.

4. Pastor Larry

Pastor Larry <b>Moderator</b>
    Site Supporter

On what basis? I have been around the church and church issues, and read widely enough, to know exactly how these terms are used.

Yes. But this diocese, or any church that acts similarly, is not taking away rights.

It is unfortunate that Rev Neimoller did not know the words of Christ on this topic. He promised to build His church. And when Christ stands up for it, no one else needs to. His little cutesy poem is yet another reminder of just how far the church has gotten to where it thinks it needs to depend on government to carry out its mandate.

5. Magnetic Poles

Magnetic Poles New Member

I imagine he did know. He wrote that "cutesy poem" about Nazi Germany. I am glad people stood up for Jews during that evil regime. Sometime's God's work needs our hands to get it accomplished.

6. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

If he thought that the building of the church depended on other people standing up for it, then he did not understand the promise of Christ.

7. Magnetic Poles

I give up. That wasn't his point, so you miss both mine and his. Congratulations! :BangHead:

8. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Feel free to give up, but not before understanding the ramifications of his statement. His poem is cute, and has meaning in a social setting perhaps, but it has nothing to do with the building of the church. As Christians, we need to be faithful to the gospel of Christ because that is what he builds his church through ... not through other groups of people standing up for it.

I think theology still matters, even in politics. Bad theology might make for good, emotionally moving poems, but won't make us better Christians.

9. Pastor Larry

Site Supporter

Obey God. When people are disobedient to God, we are commanded to separate from them. Unity in the church was never intended to include those who are habitually and openly disobedient. This diocese did not threaten the unity of the Church. They have honored it by withdrawing fellowship from those who willfully and openly sin against God.

10. Magnetic Poles

Somehow the lines of communication are severly garbled.

Me: "Ham makes a good sandwich."

PL: "Riding a boat won't make you a Christian, nor will eating chicken."

11. hillclimber1

Site Supporter

Unity? To compromise God's Word in the interest of unity is stupid/insane, though I can't decide if that's your point.

I'd much rather have a group of misguided people on my back, than Almighty God. A united stand against the sin of homosexuality, and against the movement supporting and promoting special homosexual rights, would be good.

12. Squire Robertsson

Squire Robertsson Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    This thread is closed forthwith.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.