1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historic Theology

Discussion in 'Baptist Theology & Bible Study' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Aug 27, 2011.

1. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Has anybody read Gregg Allisons book "Historic Theology"

I ask because it has come highly recommended to me because I'm young in the faith & the claims are that this will serve to clarify concerns I have?

Thanks

2. JesusFan

JesusFan Well-Known Member

As you said, suppossed to be a very good reference book to study from !

Would highly recommand as compliments to each other systematic theologies from Dr Millard Erickson and Dr wayne Grudem also, as both of them are used in baptist colleges/seminaries!

BOTH do a good job giving overall differing viewpoints in main theological doctrines!

3. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Why would I read Grudem, I hear he doesnt believe in permissive will & I do.

4. JesusFan

[
    [/QUOTE]

There is NO book that has ever been written apart from the Bible that we will always agree with!

Would still say Grudem does a good job of presenting various view points for each major doctrine, and he is also a strong DoG Christian, if that is importan to you!

Also, he does hold to Spiritual Gifts Continuing for today, and he is reformed in Sotierology!

More so than Erickson, who would hold to a more "moderate" position in Sotierology, which why I like him also as a reader!

#4 JesusFan, Aug 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2011
  5. stilllearning

stilllearning Active Member

A very good question.

I am very glad, that you see the danger of giving your ear to men who are in error.
    --------------------------------------------------
    Now I know, that some will say.... “So your saying that we shouldn’t listen to our pastor”!

Well, no you shouldn’t: If he is teaching error!

6. JesusFan

ALL of us are to some degree "in error" as we ALL see through a glass dimly now...

Think that we can still profit from reading other authors, as they will still have valid theological points, even if we finds things we do not agree with on!

example, I have read books by Dr Norman Geisler, he is an Arm, whikle I am in DoG camp, but still find things of value from him!

So we can still read and learn and profit from other Christians who do not fit into our particular theology, as I am one who holds that Gifts continued, but have read and used those who hold that they have ceased!

7. preachinjesus

preachinjesus Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

I've got, and read, Allison's text. It's a good introductory level text for the subject. You can't find a better text that covers as much as he does for the price.

He offers a (fairly) balanced perspective and if you use it as a companion to Grudem's systematic you've got a great set to begin your studies. Don't worry too much about the reformed slant because it isn't that noticeable IMHO.

If you add Erickson's systematic in your studies you'll really reap some tremendous benefits. Hope that helps. :thumbsup: