1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Historical Olyisms

Discussion in '2005 Archive' started by Phillip, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

How many historical Onlyisms do we find?

I submit one of the biggest, probably much bigger than the KJVO movement. That would be the Latin Vulgate.

2. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Amen, Phillip. We must give great kudos to the men of the early reformation (Wycliff, Tyndale, et al) who went out against unbelievable pressure to translate the Bible into the vernacular instead of relying on the Vulgate.

For 1100 years it was THE authority in 95% of Christianity and some of its weak translations led to grievous errors in Christians.

3. 4His_glory

4His_glory New Member

Interesting to note that the same arguments used by the Latin Vulgate proponents also are used by KJVOs.

4. rsr

rsr <b> 7,000 posts club</b>

Faith:
    Baptist
    Don't forget Septuaguint-onlyism, which Jerome fought and still (yes, still) has some adherents. The Septuaguint is still the official Bible of the Orthodox.

5. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I'd forgotten. Funny that modern English translations of the OT today are based on Masoretic Hebrew (1100 CE) rather than the LXX (250 BCE) or the Dead Sea Scrolls (100 BCE).

Obviously they don't think robotically that older is better. They evaluate each text and opt for the best.

6. Slambo

Slambo New Member

Scholarship onlyism.

7. natters

natters New Member

Who ever supported scholarship onlyism? The claim that others are "scholaship onlyist" is just a feeble attempt at "na-na-na-na-boo-boo".

8. HankD

HankD Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
  9. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    Makes sense to me.

"Sometimes the question is raised: Why translate from a translation (the Latin Vulgate) rather than from the original Greek and Hebrew? This question was also raised in the 16th century when the Douay-Rheims translators (Fr. Gregory Martin and his assistants) first published the Rheims New Testament. They gave ten reasons, ending up by stating that the Latin Vulgate 'is not only better then all other Latin translations, but than the Greek text itself, in those places where they disagree.' "

Hmm. Sounds like some other folks we know ...

10. Bluefalcon

Bluefalcon Member

Are you saying the Eastern Greek Church only comprised 5% of Christianity? That doesn't sound right. And what about the areas that relied on Coptic and Syriac and Gothic and Old Church Slavonic and Nubian and Persian, etc.

Yours,

Bluefalcon

11. Phillip

Phillip <b>Moderator</b>

Off thread a bit, but an interesting side note, when researching the "missing verses" and reviewing one verse that was found in all MV's except for the ESV. . . it was also found missing only in the Douay-Rheims.

I did not check the Vulgate.

12. rsr

Faith:
    Baptist
    If you had, it would probably would have matched since the DR was a translation of the Vulgate.

13. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I've actually run into some NIVOs, who claim all past translations had flaws, and the NIV corrects all of them. IMO,they're as wrong as the KJVOs, but not nearly as numerous.

I have yet to ask any of'em about the TNIV.

14. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Is that historical or hysterical? ;)

15. Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob Administrator
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    You're pulling our leg, right? I can imagine someone saying they believe only the NIV is correct, etc, but the evil of kjvonlyism is their positions that unless a person was saved using the kjv, they are not saved (Jack Hyles' exact position).