1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History and KJVO

Discussion in 'Baptist History' started by SaggyWoman, Apr 13, 2005.

1. SaggyWoman

SaggyWoman Active Member

Do you think the splits in Baptist HIstory really have anything to do with KJV only?

2. Jeff Weaver

Jeff Weaver New Member

Some of them. In the late 19th/early 20th century, this notion of modern versions causes some consternation among various and sundry churches. In some places we sorta put up with each other. For example, I am not KJVO, but some of the ministers in other churches in the association to which I belong, are, but so far we haven't fallen out over it. And if we are to fall out over it, it wont because of me.

3. gb93433

gb93433 Active Member
    Site Supporter

Not much. I think it has more to do with selfishness and theology not necessarily combined. Most splits within any particular denomination or convention are usually over selfishness. I have never seen a split over who does the most evangelism.

4. robycop3

robycop3 Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    The KJVO myth began shortly after 1930, while Baptists have been around much longer.

What I believe happened was that the KJV was the only English Bible available for quite awhile, & certain elements within the Baptist faith were so resistant to change that, when the newer Bibles began to come out, they adopted the KJVO myth without bothering to check its veracity.

5. TC

TC Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Church splits have been happening long before KJVO was an issue. I know of more churches that have split over the color of the carpet than over what Bible to use.

6. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I know of two churches in my own areathat were split over the KJVO issue...and I don't live in the population center of the planet. One church split because its leaders refused to abandon the KJVO myth & another one split because its new leadership dumped KJVO.

However, the bright side is that now there are FOUR churches, with more members than the original two. This goes to show God, who sometimes used pagans to accomplish His will, can make good come from something bad. Far as I know, the two KJVO churches have none of the other false doctrines that often accompany KJVOism.

7. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Some certainly are. The Minnesota Baptist Association, which, until some time in the late 1940s or early 1950s, was part of the old Northern Baptist Convention (which later changed its name to the American Baptist Convention) suffered a split in about 1915 over the issue of the KJV. The man who lead the Northern Baptists of Minnesota, William Bell Riley, discusses these divisive men in his book "The Menace of Modernism" published in 1917. He says, of those divisive men who caused the split around 1915, "On this point we are inclined to think that, even unto comparatively recent years, such a theory has been entertained." This theory consisted of the belief that, "(1) the Bible was finished in heaven and handed down, (2) the King James Version was absolutely inerrant, and (3) its literal acceptance was alone correct." (Page nine of Riley's book.)

More recently the BBF split into two smaller fellowships. From the January 2001 edition of the Calvary Contender.

8. robycop3

Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    I believe some division within the SDAs caused Dr. Benjamin Wilkinson to write his book Our Authorized Bible Vindicated, which became the basis for the current KJVO myth.

There was a minor rift among the Fundamentalists because their greatest teacher/preacher, Dr. Richard Clearwaters(1900-1996) preferred the ASV.

BTW, TCassidy, are you related to Dr. Thomas Cassidy, AKA DocCas & First baptist Church?

9. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    Actually Doc preferred the KJV. He taught and preached only from the KJV. He sometimes referred to the ASV in his preaching saying the ASV rendering of a certain word or phrase was superior to the KJV but he stayed with the KJV until he retired from the pastorate of 4th Baptist in Mpls. He was my pastor in the 1970s. He was also one of my professors at CBTS during that same time period.

And I doubt Doc would refer to himself as the "greatest" teacher/preacher. He was an able pulpiteer but he was by no means the greatest such that fundamentalism produced. He would be a contender but with the presence of such men as George W. Truett, R.G. Lee, W.A. Criswell, G. Campbell Morgan, J. Gresham Machen and a legion of others he would not be considered the "greatest" by most who knew him.
    Just look at my profile. [​IMG]