1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of Bible versions and translations

Discussion in '2004 Archive' started by micahaaron, Sep 11, 2003.

1. micahaaron

micahaaron New Member

Does anybody know the dates of all the various bible versions and translations since the New Testement times?

MA

2. BrianT

BrianT New Member

All languages, or just English?

All languages would be *huge* list, but a "higlights" list of the major ones would be manageable.

For just English, D. Waite has a fairly comprehensive list (From 1380 to 1991) in Appendix B of "Defending the King James Bible". You can see that list here:

http://www.acts2.com/thebibletruth/KJV_Gods_Word_Preserved-10.htm

3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member

If you are interested in a concise history of the English Bible, there is more than one good book out there.

Two that I find particularly useful are:

</font>
    • A General View of the History of the English Bible by B. F. Westcott (yes, that B. F. Westcott - booga booga!)</font>
    • The English Bible: A History of Translations From the Earliest English Versions to the New English Version by F. F. Bruce</font>
    Enjoy.

4. Keith M

Keith M New Member

Hello, Micah...

Take a look at History of the English Bible for a fairly comprehensive list of English Bibles. I think you may even find some versions you have never heard of...I certainly did!

5. Scott J

Scott J Active Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Good info Keith

6. Keith M

Keith M New Member

The BB system would not allow me to update the link on my previous post, so please ignore the old link. You can now go to History of the English Bible for the information.