1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of Calvin

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Earth Wind and Fire, Feb 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Larson's mentor was Dr. Muller. He submitted his doctorial to R.A.M.

You are very confused. Larson stated "Calvin in his political doctrine did not espouse a theocratic government."

In the abstract of his thesis he "demonstrates that Calvin opposed autocratic government in each sphere."

Pastor Larson is against the interpretation that Calvin was a "bellicose tyrant,harsh and autocratic in his iron-fisted rule over Geneva."

I guess it's not surprising that you mixed things up again since you completely reversed the major point of Dr. Muller in the past. Naturally you would be in a quandary about his pupil as well.

2. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Wrong. They are not the least bit Reformed from what I have gleaned. You will not find any conservative Presbyterian church leaders from the PCA or OPC, for instance, who would dare to call the First Christian Reformed Church Reformed.

3. DHK

DHK <b>Moderator</b>

It was EWF that was asking about Dutch Reformed churches. I pointed out a couple to him. One of them has in their Sunday School curricula, Faith Alive series, a book on Calvinism, which is described thusly:
    Sounds Calvinistic to me. Almost anything under the banner of "Reformed" is Calvinistic.

You may be interested in these churches:
    http://www.religion-religions.com/h...300&religion=Christianity&subof=christian0005
    They are as Calvinistic as one can get!

4. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Boy,you just dug yourself a big hole. Larson's view is mine. Your interpretation is the opposite of what Larson so plainly wrote. I am pressed for time now. But I will be back later showing how utterly wrong you are. He wrote in clear,understandable English --and yet you inverted things --just as you did with Dr. Muller.

5. thisnumbersdisconnected

Epic fail. Quite obviously Larson's earlier work speaks for itself. you cannot deny he states that Calvin took over Geneva's government in that paper, regardless of what he may have said later. Be fun to know who "influenced" him to change his mind.

6. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    How dare you DCONN? What are you suggesting?!? ;)

7. Earth Wind and Fire

Earth Wind and Fire Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Terrible choice of color for that background! Anyway, the last time I stepped foot in one of those Dutch Churches, they informed me "That if your not Dutch, you aren't much" ......and since Im not, I chose not to go back.

8. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    "The highest level of punishment which could be measured out by the consistory was excommunication."

"...the undying misrepresentation of Calvin as being an autocrat..."

"Finally, concerning the judicial power of the consistory, should be noted that its highest punishment was excommunication...Calvin and the rest of the consistory never put a single heretic (including Servetus),a single murderer, or a single adulterer to death. They may have concurred with a particular execution, but it was the Small Council alone which had the power of the supreme penalty of capital punishment."

[The above three quotes are from page 67]

"This specified limitation upon the power of the consistory --this separation between the jurisdiction of the ministers, on the one hand, and the jurisdiction of the magistrates on the other was in sharp contrast to the previous history of Geneva when it was ruled by a prince-bishop, who possessed both civil and ecclesiastical authority." (p.68)

9. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Yes, it does so quite clearly. But you haven't mastered the fine art of reading comprehension.

Of course I can. Larson says no such thing as you so absurdly maintain.
    Duh, it is from his very same work that he opposes what you claim he states!

Your ammo blew up in your face TND. :)

10. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    DCONN had an epic fail!

11. Rippon

Rippon Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    M. J. Larson:John Calvin and Genevan Presbyterianism

The above is worth repeating. I want to thank TND for initially pointing me to this pastor/author. He's excellent.

12. blackbird

blackbird Active Member

This thread has reached its page limit and will be closed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.