1. Welcome to Baptist Board, a friendly forum to discuss the Baptist Faith in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to all the features that our community has to offer.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

History of Christianity

Discussion in 'History Forum' started by Mark Evand, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Mark Evand

Mark Evand New Member

Can anyone recommend any books, written from a Protestant viewpoint on the founding of the Catholic Church? I have always wondered how Christianity went from the pure faith of the apostles & first-century Christians into hundreds of years of darkness with Catholicism dominating. I've always wondered what happened to bring that about, but every search for "history of the Catholic church" seems to just turn up Catholic apologetics. Any ideas?

2. percho

percho Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Not a serious history but a good read is.

www.amazon.com › ... › Philosophy
    Amazon.com, Inc.
    The Pearly Gates Syndicate;: Or, How to sell real estate in heaven [Charles MerrillSmith] on Amazon.com.

3. TCassidy

TCassidy Late-Administator Emeritus
    Administrator

Faith:
    Baptist
    I would recommend Institutes of Ecclesiastical History, Ancient and Modern, by Johann Lorenz Mosheim.

It is available from Amazon. The hard back is a little pricey but it is available in paper back.

There is also a condensed version entitled Rise and Progress of the Papal Power by Rev. R. Hitchman available online at Google Books.

https://play.google.com/store/books/details?id=46ldAAAAcAAJ&rdid=book-46ldAAAAcAAJ&rdot=1

#3 TCassidy, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  4. John of Japan

John of Japan Well-Known Member
    Site Supporter

Faith:
    Baptist
    Probably the standard text on church history for Protestant schools is Church History in Plain Language, by Bruce Shelley. There is much in it about the rise of Catholicism. It is now in its 4th ed., but I think the 3rd ed. may be even better, and you can buy the 3rd ed. used for only $3 to $4 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=stripbooks&field-keywords=Church+History+in+Plain+Language,+by+Bruce+Shelley

#4 John of Japan, Nov 3, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2015